Need to knows before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need to knows before surgery Need to knows before surgery

Unread 01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Need to knows before surgery

I just read the post about shaving before surgery. I was wondering what else i should know not to do or to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Shaving before surgery

Hi MaeMae

check with your doctor/hospital first. Each differs on what they require. You don't want your surgery delayed because you have shaved and they don't want you to...

Give them a quick call ASAP.
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:03 AM

i was wondering about other things that i might need to know that they wont mention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 02:31 AM

Hi maemae. They should mention EVERYTHING. Bring in a list of questions with you. They are very helpful. My hospital answered all my questions, and I was allowed as much time as needed. They want you to be an informed patient so you can recover right - first time!

Hospital should advise you about diet, prescription drugs (prior to surgery), shaving, nail polish, bowel prep or not, iodine scrub-down.

Post surgery info should cover: morphine pump (or not), vaginal packing, catheter, summary of usual day in hospital, when you can walk, have catheter removed, stitches removed, drive, have a bath etc.

Let me know if you need any help with this. They've heard it all before, and none of my questions were laughed at or deemed 'silly'.

Write up your list now, and add to it as you think of more things to ask about. Good luck!
Unread 01-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Hi

I asked my doctor and he said no. They will take care of that is what I was told. Denise.
Unread 01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Now that it's over, I could do it again

Not that I want to, of course. Now that I've been through all this...the first gynocologist appointment, the news about the hysterectomy, the urodynamics test, the blood tests, the surgery and the few days recovery I've had... It was not all as bad as I had imagined. It was just fear of "the unknown". Now that I've been through it, and know what to expect, I could do it again. Don't worry. It will be fine. The nurses and doctors will explain everything. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even to say you don't know what to ask. Remember, this will be your first hysterectomy, but the doctors and nurses have seen thousands.
Peace to you all. I remember that waiting. It will be over before you know it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register