Terrified Teacher | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrified Teacher Terrified Teacher

Unread 06-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Terrified Teacher

This is my first major surgery. I have had knee surgeries, but nothing major. I had a failed oblation and fibroids tumors. I am afraid of the surgery itself and what to expect afterwards.

One of my concerns is that I am a teacher and it will be right at six weeks when I go back to school. I don't want to take anything out on my students because of hormones. I also train teachers, so I go back before most teachers do. My first day back is training our 90 teachers on a new program that we are implementing. Any teachers out there that have suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Re: Terrified Teacher

Don't be terrified. It was so much better than I thought it would be. I had a TAH on May 22, yes, I did take a couple of weeks off of school. I am already off all pain meds and feeling much better. It is hard to take it so easy and let others do things for me, but it has been successful. Many teachers do this over the summer and are ready to go back in August. GOod luck to you!(Today is my third graders last day of school)
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the support. Sorry you have still been in school. Our last day was May 22. Have enjoyed the summer so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Hi Teacher20!
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:15 PM

Hi Teacher20! I see you are from Moore! I am in Tulsa! I taught 3rd grade for years, then moved up to 4th about 5 years ago. I am also a teacher trainer. I just finished up PD last week, and will be speaking to new hires next month.

Yikes! I started bleeding massively on THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL and had my hyster the next week. GYN did a TVH, which was fairly easy and I kept my ovaries, so no hormone problems to deal with. I missed 6 total weeks of school and went back at 4 weeks post op with very little problems. I moved a little slower than I normally did, but did just fine. I suffered severe acute anemia though, which plagued me longer than the hyster!

You may need some help getting your room set up when you go back, so find a friend and don't feel bad about asking for help - especially if you have to lug textbooks! I found colleagues were very supportive and helpful of me during my recovery and beyond.

Do you know what kind of surgery you will be having yet?

(Pardon my 1st bleep - must have hit the submit button incidentally! )
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Welcome teacher20!!
Unread 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Teacher20,
I just finished up school today (teacher work day). My concern is also what to expect what will happen when I go back - though I will have more time then you prior to return. I tell myself I take each hour at a time. If I have to I will use my comfortable desk chair the wheels around and use that to assist. Much like an elementary teacher being on their feet a lot, I am a special education teacher and I am always on my feet and standing up and down. When you need to take a break and kick your feet up for 10 minutes the other teachers may like the break too lol.
Unread 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Hi Teacher,

I had a TAH/BSO in August of last year. I am not a teacher, but can give you some wise advice.

REST as much as you can. You have 6 glorious weeks to recover. I would suggest walking as a form of exercise, but only walk as much as you can tolerate and only at your docs approval.

You will get through it and you will have many questions as you enter each phase of your recovery. I would have been lost without this board for support.

When you DO get back to school, you may not be physically ready to get back into everything you once could do. Be prepared to make some modifications and adjustments. You may need to sit more than normal. You WILL need help carrying books and anything heavier than 7 pounds.

DO NOT lift or carry more than you are supposed to. Your body will have gone through a major trauma and will need time to recover. You are having a major body part removed. Your body will need to adjust to not having it.. and all of your insides will have to settle into their new places.

Your belly will swell with over exertion and your incision site will ache sometimes.

To minimize all of this... rest and take care of you. Allow others to carry things. Consider a chair on wheels or even a wheelchair to make things easier.

You may not need the chair, but in my own recovery..I know that if I had to be at work even after 6 weeks, I would have been so grateful for one.

If you are having your ovaries removed, you will be given a prescription for hormone pills before ou leave the hospital. If they don't automatically write you a scrip, ask for one. Your body will quickly adjust to the hormones and your moods will be very controllable.

The biggest thing is realize you WILL get through this. You WILL be ok. You WILL hurt and ache afterward, but the medications they give you will allow you to manage it.

Don't know what other advice I can give you. Hope this has ben of some help and hasn't scared you.

I got through mine. You will get through yours.

Hang in there! and keep us posted
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM

I am a special education/regular education teacher at the high school level. I was out of school for six weeks and returned for the students' last week of school, then the next week was post planning for teachers. I then got a week of rest before I started teaching summer school (full days from 8-4). I got really tired when I started back, but it felt good at the same time. Just don't be afraid to ask for help to prevent overdoing things. I feel sure you will be fine. We teachers are pretty tough!! LOL
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:27 PM

I am not a teacher but my best friend is. She took off six weeks and was able to go back at six weeks. She had a TAH. She said she was tired for the first couple of weeks but not in any pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register