when to drive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when to drive? when to drive?

Unread 12-07-2013, 06:11 AM
when to drive?

Hey everyone im new to the site. I was wondering if anyone could advise me when driving is ok. I had a LRH 28yh nov and am feeling great even off pain med s, answers gratefully received...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Re: when to drive?

My doc advised me it was ok to drive as soon as I felt up to it, and was off the narcotics of course. I've been driving since about 1 week post op. Just watch out for pot holes and speed bumps they're killer! Still need to pace yourself with running too many errands at a time. I usually go places that I don't have to get out of the car a lot (drop off/pick up my son from school) taking him to practices, etc. we tire out a lot quicker these days so be sure to listen to your body.
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Thanks I think I will go for a drive round. Everyones in family is saying its too soon but I feel ok, apart from tiring easier and a bit tender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2013, 01:16 PM

I was not cleared to drive for 6 weeks although I had been off pain meds at 4 weeks.
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:11 PM

I am not cleared until I go for my checkup which won't be until December 27th. I tried going out for the first time a few days back with my hubby. I still had to use a pillow on my tummy for the seatbelt and probably could have used one to sit on too. No energy to react quickly to these terrible Louisiana drivers. So I'm gonna be good and wait for my official approval.
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:50 PM

I am 26 days post (lapro) and have been driving on and off, short distances since the middle of last week. I find it's less comfortable in the drivers seat than passenger, probably b/c I'm more upright. I have been having to take my disabled mother to dr. appts - 4 hrs worth Thursday & 4 hrs wroth Friday. Not feeling too hot today, but probably just too much time "right side up".
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:07 PM

TAH- Dr cleared me to drive at 2 week post op. Advised me not to drive when on pain meds. I didnt start driving until about 3 weeks post op. Im 6 weeks post op now and still sit on a pillow whether im driving or passengering.
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:22 PM

I drove around day 10. My doc said 2 weeks. Just a mile to the store. I knew I was fine.. The mental boost it gave me was awesome. I'm 4 and a half weeks out and drive wherever and whenever I feel. Some days I'm out for hours, some days I don't leave the house. I'm listening toy body. Not lifting or bending the first 3 weeks is, in my opinion, more important than not driving. Also, when I'M behind the wheel, im careful of bumps and especially sudden sweeving of any kind..MUCH more careful than my DH!! I've not suffered any set backs other than 2 days ago, reaching across my midline to pick up a cell phone! Felt like I pulled an ab muscle just above my belly button.. That sucker hurt.. For an hour or so.. Then fine.. I'm baffled by the 6 weeks no driving.. And how post op instructions, hospital stays, and pain management can vary so much with the same exact surgery..
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM

My doc said 2 weeks or until I was not taking pain meds.
Hope your recovery goes well!
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM

I drove normal after one week...no road raging or extreme turning. Drive slow and careful. You will do great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register