Floating back to earth, I think. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Floating back to earth, I think. Floating back to earth, I think.

Unread 02-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Floating back to earth, I think.

Until this evening, I have placed all my messages in the Pre-op forum. This habit continued even after surgery, Jan. 26, 2006. I had a total hysterectomy and returned home feeling empowered by the experience and my new found (self anointed) wisdom. I'm 50 years of age, so the fact I was sounding off with such enthusiastic advise while sitting at the PC or roaming these rooms doing what I realistically could stretched my scull to balloon proportions! Prior to the operation, I did indeed gain much solace from the sisters who had been there. But when I came home, not forgetting the pain medicine, I actually developed an infection. By Friday night last (Feb. 3, 06), I was back in the hospital ER. After eleven hours of waiting, I was admitted once again. The fever came down from 103.something to 98.something yesterday. Antibiotics were given intravenously, but I will continue on a full regiment all week; at least until I see my Dr. Mon. or Tues..
First, I apologise for growing stranger and seeming perhaps too knowledgeable in a place I came to for advice.
Also, have any other sisters experienced a post op infection. Any advice on activity level and ETC. would really be great!
Humbly Yours, Grace50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2006, 06:47 PM

Grace, I had a post op infection also. I was readmitted and had IV antibiotics. I continued to take oral antibiotics after discharge for 10 days. My recommendations for activity level after discharge were the same as for the hysterectomy. No lifting more than 10 pounds, no bending, stretching. I could cook a light meal and I could wash the dishes providing I didn't lift more than the recommended 10 pounds.
You have had a set back in your recovery with the infection and you need to pamper yourself so that you can heal well.
Did the Dr determine what the cause of your infection was?
Michelle
Unread 02-06-2006, 06:55 PM
im glad your home,again

hey there grace..im so sorry you are going through all this..i was really beginning to worry about you,as i had not heard from you for serveral days...i myself as you know,have been feeling not so well...today,i feel like i have the flu,but in a diff way if that make any sense at all.....what type of infection did you have???im very glad your bak,you give me courage for some reason,and i look forward to your posts as they always make me feel so calm...your like,my nerve pill so to speak...maybe i look to you like a mother figure,maybe your intellengene intrigues me,either way,i have a deep repsect for you,and worry about you when i dont hear from you...i have found latley,that i look to you to guide me through your words..you lifted my spirits up right before our surgery,and have done so ever since..thank you for being such a wonderful wonderful person..if i ever win the lottery,im giving you a million bucks for helping me those 2 days right before...lol...your a great person grae,and i am so glad you got treated,and that you are on your way to recovery....sonie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi CandyAppleLady

Thank you for the advice. I still do not know the cause, but I have an appointment with the surgeon this Monday afternoon. I will let all know the results. My guess is the cause will be vague. "Let's focus on getting well and on with life.", will be her response to how this happens. I'm guessing it will. Hope I return with some information of value. Thanks again, Grace50
Unread 02-12-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplelady
Grace, I had a post op infection also. I was readmitted and had IV antibiotics. I continued to take oral antibiotics after discharge for 10 days. My recommendations for activity level after discharge were the same as for the hysterectomy. No lifting more than 10 pounds, no bending, stretching. I could cook a light meal and I could wash the dishes providing I didn't lift more than the recommended 10 pounds.
You have had a set back in your recovery with the infection and you need to pamper yourself so that you can heal well.
Did the Dr determine what the cause of your infection was?
Michelle
Thank you for that insight. Funny you should ask if the Doctor answered...smile
She said this: "you did nothing wrong." Then she proscribed the outpatient antibiotic therapy, no advice on the physical do's or don'ts and was out of the room faster than ..... well rapidly. I have an appt. with her tomorrow at 1 pm. I'm going to ask her what she thinks, but I won't be accusing. What I really want to know is simple. What might cause it....so I can avoid those things. Actually, this infection started the middle of the first week home. I've no idea what I might have done because my incision still looks great. It had to be internal. Perhaps removing damaged tissue released a dormant bacteria. Now I've never heard of a "dormant bacteria" but it sounded like a medical nomenclature.....LOL....you think? I will let you know, and so appreciate your concern.
Hugs with Luv, Grace50

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register