Uterine Fibroids & Leiomyosarcoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine Fibroids  & Leiomyosarcoma Uterine Fibroids & Leiomyosarcoma

Unread 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Uterine Fibroids & Leiomyosarcoma

I have been reading about this very rare cancer (leiomyosarcoma). I had an Endometrial Ablation in March (due to extremely heavy bleeding from the removal of a Mirena IUD). I had a Pelvic MRI last week, and I have 5 "Fibroids" (they must have grown since the Ablation) one is 9 cm, 1 is 6 cm, 2 are 4 cm, 1 is 2 cm. My uterus is twice it's normal size. My biggest complaint is CONSTANT back pain (since March), cramping is my next complaint. I am living on piles of over the counter meds. Per my OB/GYN, I need to have a Hysterectomy. I was HOPING to hold it off until January (I am considering a Tummy Tuck with it). My husband is a Carpenter, his work is slow then. I can start Lupron injections now. I'm afraid, after reading about this cancer, and the speed at which all these "Fibroids" have grown, that I may be taking a risk waiting. Any thoughts??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Re: Uterine Fibroids & Leiomyosarcoma

Hi Tammy,

I also had fast growing fibroids and my Dr. talked to me about the cancer risk. He said a characteristic of cancerous uterine fibroids can be that they are fast growing. After I caught my breath ...he went on to tell me that uterine fibroids are only cancerous 1% of the time. I have seen other Hyster Sisters post the same statistic from their Drs. So try not to worry!!!

Hope that helps.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:51 PM

I have multiple fibroids with the largest one being 13 cm for over two years now. I had a list of reasons for not wanting a hysterectomy although 4 doctors have said I need one. I've tried it all to stop the bleeding, with the final treatment being Lupron injections. I had six months of Lupron injections and my largest fibroid shrunk to 11 cm in that six month period. My uterus is 20cm. I found a doctor (4th one) who specializes in Lap hysterectomies and I am scheduled to have LSH on August 21st. I think that lupron was good in that it did help me not bleed, although I was achy all of the time on it and had major hot flashes, but I am happy to say I can't wait to get this done now! It took a lot of research and multiple opinions to make the right choice for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM

I have large fibroids and scheduled for surgery in Sept. After surgery, is my stomach likely to shrink at all?
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:11 PM

I will let you know in August! That is my same question...I sure hope so, my tummy is huge..doc said it's soccer ball size fibroid. I am sure once they come out the tummy will shrink! Let's pray for that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register