question about internal stitches... trying to figure this out... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about internal stitches... trying to figure this out... question about internal stitches... trying to figure this out...

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
question about internal stitches... trying to figure this out...

Hi everyone,

This is something that I've been pondering in my mind since pretty much the day after my surgery.

I see on this board so many times women say that we have hundreds of stitches inside of us.

I have been thinking about this, and I feel like this is such a dumb question, but how can we have SO many stitches inside of us?

I think about where the uterus was, and for me, I had my uterus and cervix out. So, I know for me, there are stitches for the vaginal cuff, and then there must be some stitches where the uterus was tethered by ligaments, or tissues, but it seems like those areas cannot be very big, so would not require very many stitches. I also had my appendix out, so I know there must be stitches where that used to be, but that is a very small organ.

Then, I know, obviously there are stitches in the tissues in my abdominal wall where my bikini cut incision is to close the incision, but that is only about 7 inches long.

To me, if I were to guess, I'd think there were only like 100 stitches in me... haha!! Obviously, I did NOT go to medical school!! haha.

I'm just trying to figure out how there could be hundreds of stitches (when I think of the word hundreds, I interpret that as more than 300.... ). And, how many stitches DO you think we have in us??? I'm sure it varies from person to person and procedure to procedure, but I'm just curious.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I am seeing my doctor on Friday, and I'm going to ask him. :-) He might think it's a silly question, but I think it's interesting....

Oh, the things my mind ponders while I'm in a 6 week recovery!! haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM

I thought the same thing!!!!!!! Funny what fuzzy brain and boredom can do to a person. Hundreds sounded like a lot to me, so I did ask my dr and she said that I only had a few inside and the rest were on my cuff. I had a TVH so I don't have as many as you or others. She didn't tell me the exact number but made it seem like not very many either. When you find out please post as I am curious about this also and have been since I saw others post "hundreds".
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Loves to Run,
I have also been wondering this as I hurt so much inside but my incision feels not too bad. I would also be curious to know and look forward to your post!!
Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Hey! I actually asked my doctor this question - although I got the "hundreds' without the exact number .... she said she didn't count them all aloud (love a doctor with a sacrastic sense of humor!)

What she did say is there are hundreds because the stitches are very tight together to prevent and 'pulling' or 'seeping' from the internal wound. I would love to know the exact number because some days it feels like I am one big ball of stitches!
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM

I ask my DR how many stitches there were. He said hundreds. He explained that I had 3 layers of stitches. I was on pain meds and can't remember what each layer was now. But I remember him saying that although muscle wasn't actually cut, just seperated, when it was pulled back together he did put in a layer of stitches(to pull the muscle together?). So I guess as we are opened up each layer is sewn back together seperately. I wish I could remember exactly what he said, sorry.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register