Eyesight - problems post surgery - Anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Eyesight - problems post surgery - Anyone else? Eyesight - problems post surgery - Anyone else?

Unread 01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Eyesight - problems post surgery - Anyone else?

TAH/BSO just over four weeks ago and having trouble with eyesight.

Have always had 20/20 sight so this is making me a little nutty.

First noticed in hospital once I was awake enough - everything was just a bit off - focus and felt like condensation in the way. Things seemed a little too bright and almost sparkly.

Other information that might be relevant is that I threw up every 20 minutes for nearly 4 hours post surgery - and that was with every single anti-nausea medication they had to give me. Additionally, I've had no headaches at all associated with this, and since I've been recovery, not much of a reason to strain to see past condensation or lack of focus.

Asked doctors, they said it was more than likely pain meds or maybe effects of anesthesia. Said to see what happened once I was off pain meds and we'd talk at post-op appointment.

At 3 week post-op appointment things were no better except now things will be in focus for a while and then go off for a bit and then back to normal, I head back to work next week, and if this keeps up it's going to be a problem...

I'm off pain meds. Doctor said, perhaps anesthesia, to give it a few more weeks (he explained that some effects of anesthesia can take a while to make there way out of our systems), but to go ahead and call for an appointment with eye doctor if it didn't seem to be getting better, it was not something my surgeon had come across before.

Now, I'm a few days shy of 37 so maybe changes in my sight were coming and this just sped things up but would be curious to know if anyone else has experienced this too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Re: Eyesight - problems post surgery - Anyone else?

So sorry you hear, I just felt loopy, like my eyes was cloudy, dr found my incisions were a little red and one has little discharge, gave me an antibiotic, they did blood work and called me that afternoon said my white count was up to 18 and ordered a 2nd dose then, after that they cleared up. so not sure. Hope you find out soon.
Denise
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:25 AM

thanks Denise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM

I didn't have it after my hyster, but I had it after another surgery. It only lasted a week, and I made sure I informed the anesthesiologist the next time. Not common, but possible from the anesthesia.
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM

Thanks Pamela -- Giving it another week and then will call an eye doctor - in the mean time appreciate the input!
Unread 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Just thought I'd put it out there that the issues with my sight have nearly disappeared... things started improving about a week ago... can't attribute it to anything in particular -- if it was the anesthesia than perhaps it's left my system finally... nice not to be struggling to focus anymore!
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM

two things I've learned affect my vision, one which got worse after surgery but is better now. They are #1 hydration, if your dehydrated and close to middle age can blur your vision, it happens to me, and #2 which I recently learned is blood sugar.....when my blood sugar is high (I'm not diabetic but sugar sensitive) my eyesight goes way down and sometimes like looking through a fog or water. I would drink lots of water, use some drops and make sure you blood sugare isn't over 105-110.
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions jeniferb!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register