Advice on Internal Hematoma, Please! (nearly 5 weeks after abdominal hyst) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice on Internal Hematoma, Please! (nearly 5 weeks after abdominal hyst) Advice on Internal Hematoma, Please! (nearly 5 weeks after abdominal hyst)

Unread 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Re: Advice on Internal Hematoma, Please! (nearly 5 weeks after abdominal hyst)

I'm not sure if I should create a new thread for this or not...but just in case any of you ladies DO see this, I need help regarding my left-side internal hematoma.

I took my last dose of Cipro (the anti-biotic) on Friday, 6/11 - just FYI. Over the last 24 hours or so I've been running low fever, hovering between 99.9 to 100.8. I've also been in tons more pain. The Vicodin (along with some Aleve for good measure) is no longer helping very much at all. I now have pain in my RIGHT hip in addition to the pain I've aready been having in my left hip. I'm even experiencing some pain down the outsides of my thighs and up along my inner thighs w/ what feels like a string of barbed wire (best way I can describe it) along the left side of my vagina. My head hurts. I feel queasy. I go from sweating like crazy to feeing cold. Basically, I'm in increasing pain & having pain in places I wasn't before. I'm not bleeding or having any incision discharge. My lower back is STILL killing me, so my heating pad is getting lots of use still.

Any thoughts??? I guess no matter what I'll call my OB-GYN in the morning & let him know what's going on. I just feel really, really bad. Worse than I felt when I first started this thread. Why do these things have to happen on weekends!? I would really appreciate any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM

im so sorry you're still going thru this. i think the increased pain and fever, esp., warrant a call today. leave it up to him/her whether or not you should be seen today or wait until tomorrow. feel better hun.
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofbloo View Post
im so sorry you're still going thru this. i think the increased pain and fever, esp., warrant a call today. leave it up to him/her whether or not you should be seen today or wait until tomorrow. feel better hun.
Thank you for your help, Kari. The problem is that at my MD's office, you can leave a voicemail after-hours (like today, a Sunday - which they'll receive when they open up tomorrow morning) but they do NOT provide a pager number or answering service or anything that would get me in touch with my doctor (or his partner) today. I don't really understand that, but anyway...<sigh>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Ugh, doctors.
Ok, if the pain becomes severe and fever gets higher, I'd go to the ER.
Hang in there. If you can make it until tomorrow, DEMAND to get in w/ your doc asap.
((hugs))
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Ugh, doctors.
Ok, if the pain becomes severe and fever gets higher, I'd go to the ER.
Hang in there. If you can make it until tomorrow, DEMAND to get in w/ your doc asap.
((hugs))
Thank you AGAIN for your help, Kari! I just wanted to update - I am literallly dressed (albeit sloppily, but dressed) and waiting to hear back from my OB-GYN's nurse to find out whether he wants to see me in his office this morning or if I should just go to the ER. I'll come back & post another update once I've been checked out. My fever hasn't gone any higher (still hovering around 100.7 - but you know, that's WITH taking Vicodin which has Tylenol in it - I just thought of that??) but the pain is now beyond what I can deal with, I've got crazy nausea & dry-heaving (sorry TMI) & my head hurts. <sigh> If the nurse doesn't call me by 11:00 (9 minutes LOL) I'm gonna just call them back & say I'm headed to the ER. I can't take it any longer.
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Do you think if you just showed up at your doctor's office, they might see you? If I were you, I wouldn't wait another minute - I'd just go to the doctor's office. Surely they can work you in? If you go to the ER, you might sit there for hours - I'd definitely try going to the doctor's first. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing when you are able!
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Just checking in on you. Let us know.
Unread 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM

thinking about you and hoping everything is alright.
Unread 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
thinking about you and hoping everything is alright.
Hi Kari, and everyone! How are all of you? I can't say enough "thanks" for the advice & support here. I've still been dealing with some rough stuff but do feel guilty that I'm just now doing an update. Finally! I'll try not to make this any longer than it needs to be, though I do tend to get long-winded.

So, going back to 6/14 (a Monday)...right after I posted here last...my OB-GYN's nurse called & told me to go straight to the ER. There they did a CT-scan (despite my MD's call ahead asking for a sonogram) & confirmed the internal left-side hematoma & also a cyst on my right (& only, now) ovary. I was told that this cyst probably explained the new pain in my right hip in & in my right pelvis. I had low-grade fever and the ER got that along with my pain & nausea under control. They advised I see my MD for an exam & sonogram ASAP.

My MD's sono tech wasn't going to be in until Wednesday, 6/16, so I got an appointment for first thing that morning. In between leaving the ER Monday & the appt early Wednesday I was feeling worse & worse, still with the low fever but at that point vomitting with diarrhea and still in lots of pain. On Tuesay, 6/15, my MD called in an anti-biotic at my pharmacy but I couldn't keep it down. In fact, I couldn't keep WATER down any longer at this point. No good.

At the 6/16 sonogram (this was done before I even saw my OB-GYN), my right ovary was "hiding". No matter what the tech did, she could not see that ovary or the cyst on it. She did say that my hematoma seemed to be trying to resolve, seemed to be getting smaller basically. That was good. She started the sono on top of my belly but when she couldn't see the right ovary, she suggested I empty my bladder and we'd do a trans-vaginal sonogram. So, off I went to potty. LOL The weird thing was, I returned immediately to the sono room, she began the more in-depth (understatement) sonogram...I could barely stand the pressure/pain on my bladder. And...after just having peed...my bladder was totally full. This was really the only thing of importance she could see but at least that cyst hadn't burst all over the place, nor had the hematoma.

My OB-GYN came in & joined his sono tech, I explained how & where I was having pain & pressure, how I couldn't even hold water in my stomach & he said he wanted to admit me at the hospital for IV anti-biotics, for more testing and if he had to, to do laprascopic surgery to explore more. That last part ended up (so far!) not necessary. My MD basically decided, after 3 days in the hospital, that my bladder was having a hard time "waking up" after my hyst (& this had caused some over-all inflammation, causing a general infection & more pain/pressure than usual at this point post-op). This was evident during the trans-vaginal sonogram. I wasn't emptying my bladder fully even though I felt like I was. I was discharged from the hospital last Friday (6/18) on oral anti-biotics, a stomach medication called Reglan & instructions to "go potty" every 2 hours whether I felt the urge or not. It *HAS* been amazing how often I have to urinate VS how often I feel the urge to urinate, still. I go back for follow-up with my MD on July 7th. I'm still on those oral anti-biotics, the Reglan, plus the RX pain meds & Phenergan. I'm curious to see how the sonogram will look on 7/7, whether or not the hematoma and ovarian cyst will have fully resolved by then. **CROSSING FINGERS**

I've also known I've had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) since about 8 months after having my DS (a good 5 years ago or more, since he's 6). I'm going to post a new thread b/c I have questions, based on how I'm feeling the past several days related to my GI tract & running into (hopefully) the end zone of my hysterectomy recovery. I am now 7 weeks post-op, FYI.

How is everyone else doing with their seromas and hematomas, etc? How is everybody feeling? I'm very anxious to know. Sorry for the delay in getting back on to update, but I've truly been thinking of you all!
Unread 06-24-2010, 08:47 AM

I was wondering where you went lady!

Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious!

My hematoma is still sitting there...not sure what it is up too. Have a follow up appt the first of July.

I have yet ANOTHER UTI~AGH!

So we are in the same boat called "when will this ever end"!!

Take care of yourself!!! Happy Healing!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register