dVH/RALH Swimming? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Swimming?

How soon post op have you ladies been given clearance to swim? Wading in water sounds so good, but I know I have to wait until risk of infection is lessened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Re: Swimming?

I was told 6 weeks. Nothing in the vagina for six weeks.
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM

I saw my gyn on Tuesday, not quite four weeks after surgery. I asked if I could go swimming this weekend, and he said sure. He cleared me for everything except lifting heavy boxes and using my exercise machine. (I didn't ask about penetrative sex.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM

I was going on vacation 6 weeks after my surgery. I asked my dr. about swimming in the ocean. She had me go in at 5 weeks for my exam and cleared me to swim. She told me that if I wasn't healed I couldn't swim.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:04 PM

I had my surgery 9 days ago. It was done vaginally and I spent two days in the hospital. I had minimal bleeding at that time and have not had any since returning home. I may have a bladder infection as I had one prior to surgery. I have a hot tub at home and the doc gave me clearance to use it starting today. I don't know if that helps, but that's my experience. Good luck.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatshepsut View Post
...I have a hot tub at home and the doc gave me clearance to use it starting today. I don't know if that helps, but that's my experience. Good luck.
Your hot tub at home presumably has your own bacteria - and maybe your family's - in the water. A public pool has *everyone's* bacteria in it. The ocean or a lake has even more bacteria and other microscopic organisms.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:02 AM

My Dr told me at my 2 wks post op that I could swim in a pool but not the lake or beach because of the bacteria. I get in the pool and just walk around. Don't
Think I am quiet up to actually swimming yet.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Swimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyb123 View Post
My Dr told me at my 2 wks post op that I could swim in a pool but not the lake or beach because of the bacteria. I get in the pool and just walk around. Don't
Think I am quiet up to actually swimming yet.
That is what my doctor told me as well. I said that if it were hot I might want to just go in the ocean to cool off and he said that was ok, but not to go in the ponds or lakes. I'm 2+ weeks right now.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM

After seeing all these posts about swimming....having my own pool...and...thinking not until after my 6 week check-up...which I THOUGHT my OB said...I call yesterday and asked. He said since I'm 4 weeks post op (tvh) that its fine for a chemical pool. No river, lakes or ponds. Thank goodness. My kids were going crazy not being able to swim during the day while my husband is at work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register