Supracervical Hyst for Adeno- Are you pain free ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Supracervical Hyst for Adeno- Are you pain free ? Supracervical Hyst for Adeno- Are you pain free ?

Unread 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Supracervical Hyst for Adeno- Are you pain free ?

I was wondering if you have had a supracervical hyst for adeno and are pain free? For how many years ? I think thats why my Dr doesnt support doing them is because she thinks she might not get all the adeno.

Would love to hear thoughts, because that was my first choice for hyst. I also wonder if my so called fibroid is a pocket of adeno at the back of uterus. My uterus is enlarged and tender and I cramp daily, tired, nausea, periods pretty regular, but very painful.

I did read on ACOG where it says there isn't enough evidence to support the benefits it doing one over a regular hyst. I'd love to keep my cervix, if it was helpful. Dont mind min-periods or paps.

Is it something that is now becoming more popular to do. Have a great love life and would love to keep it. I do know some women dont have the option of a supra. Thx for any help. Have read the articles.

Sound off ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Re: Supracervical Hyst for Adeno- Are you pain free ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarose View Post
I was wondering if you have had a supracervical hyst for adeno and are pain free? For how many years ? I think thats why my Dr doesnt support doing them is because she thinks she might not get all the adeno.
If your doctor does not do this type of hysterectomy for women with an adeno diagnosis, it won't matter if women here are pain free or not with that hysterectomy type. Your surgeon is legally obligated to perform procedures she feels are right for the situation, and as such she does not even have to offer you the choice of a supracervical hysterectomy if she feels it will not treat your situation properly, even if you find thousands of adeno women on the internet who have had it done and say they are pain-free. By the way, there are women who replied to your other thread who shared they had an adneo diagnosis and had a supracervical hysterectomy. Did you see those replies?

I think that rather than throwing out all of these hypothetical questions you are having which are keeping your mind in a whirl, you need to sit down and talk to your doctor about you and your situation. Then you need to get a second opinion. After those appointments, you will be able to ask questions more specific to what options might be available for you whether they be a type of hysterectomy or something else. This could help ease your anxiety a bit and allow you to focus on questions and concerns that are more applicable for you rather than stressing over issues that you may not deal with at all.

You only tired the Loestrin for 5 days so that may not be long enough to convince your doctor to do a hysterectomy regardless of what her nurse said. Even if she is convinced, your insurance company may not be convinced as 5 days isn't really long enough to know if the nausea symptoms you experienced would have gotten better with a bit more time. When starting any type of hormonal treatment, it can take at least a few weeks for your body to adjust and your hormone levels to get to where they need to be. Thus, your insurance company may choose not to cover a hysterectomy until you try another option for a longer amount of time to see if it will be effective.

Quote:
I did read on ACOG where it says there isn't enough evidence to support the benefits it doing one over a regular hyst. I'd love to keep my cervix, if it was helpful.
The reason the ACOG does not promote supracervical hysterectomies is that there isn't concrete evidence that says keeping the cervix helps. Research and studies do not indicate there are benefits for that type of surgery over the benefits of a total hysterectomy.

Quote:
Is it something that is now becoming more popular to do.
Actually, the first hysterectomies were all supracervical; we have come a full circle. However, as I shared, data doesn't indicate that supracervical hysterectomies are a superior choice for the patient.

Quote:
Have a great love life and would love to keep it
You can keep a great love life without a cervix. Yes, uterine contractions will be gone, but otherwise many women find there is no difference, or some say things are better as they aren't dealing with their pre-hysterectomy issues. On the other hand, sexual dysfunction is a very real risk of any type of hysterectomy so you need to thoroughly discuss the topic with your medical team if sexual issues are a top priority for you.

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM

I am 42 with 2 c-sections under my belt. I had the diagnosis of adeno for about 2 years with no previous treatment other than 800mg Motrin during my cycles. My pain got increasingly worse over the summer and into the fall. In October 2013, I went to see my doctor solely because of my pain. He said a hyst was the only sure-fire way to get rid of the adeno by getting rid of the uterus. He does laparoscopic supracervical, because he favors keeping the cervix to maintain your pelvic muscles and hopefully preventing anything falling down/out later in life. He also said he did not like to take the cervix because of possible pain during intercourse due to the vaginal trauma during the surgery. This is not to say it is a poor choice to take the cervix. Like the previous poster said, each case is individual and you and your doctor should decide what is best for you. I went back and forth with friends who have had their cervix removed (who were very much in favor of that route), but in the end I opted to keep it. I love and respect my doctor, and I trust his judgment. Not to mention I wanted to have a surgery that he was very comfortable performing. I asked if he ever had to go back and remove a cervix, and he said in >100 supracervical he has performed he has never had to go back. Regarding pain, at my 3-week visit I had NO PAIN on pelvic exam when he pressed on my belly. On my pre-op exam I had awful pain from the adenomyosis. And since adeno is not something that can be seen on ultrasound or any other test, I think it is just a symptomatic diagnosis. When I returned for my 3-week visit, the pathology had confirmed adeno, so I was happy to know that is what was wrong and nothing else that he/we had overlooked. I am 5 weeks 1 day out and extremely happy with my outcome. It has really been a very easy recovery. If you have ever had a c-section, this is nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2014, 04:40 AM

I had LSH Dec. 18th and I chose that option because I wanted the least invasive option possible. I didn't want any more taken out of my body than was necessary and I wanted the easiest and fastest recovery I could possibly have for a major surgery. It was a great decision for me, but I know some people cannot go that route. My doctor told me at my 2 week post op visit that I had adeno as well but I never had pain symptoms, just heavy periods and fibroids and an 18 week uterus size. She didn't indicate there was any issue having removed it laparoscopically. I wish I had done my surgery sooner, it's amazing how much better I feel. There is nothing wrong with getting a professional second opinion either. Good luck.
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM

I had a LSH on January 8th after three years of chronic pelvic pain. My doctor left my cervix alone because he could not safely move my bladder due to two C-sections.
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:10 PM

I went in hoping I would be offered LSH, and before I could even state my preference my doc said he thought that would be right for me, and he prefers that procedure. He said it wouldn't be an option if I had a history of abnormal paps, which I had not. However, my surgeon is well versed in minimally invasive surgery and felt competent in doing this procedure given my issues.

I wanted to keep my cervix because I do feel it a lot during intercourse. I also wanted my insides as normal as possible since I am only 31.

I am 5 months post op, pain free, sex is great, and I have had not a drop of bleeding since leaving the OR. Not even what is considered normal post op bleeding.

It is incredibly important to feel confident about your surgeon's abilities. I would ask your doctor her reasoning about not doing a supracervical if it is something you feel strongly about. There may be some solid medical reasons to not do an LSH. It could also be that she is not a fan of the procedure and doesn't do them often. Whichever it is, you won't know unless you ask, and a hyst can't be undone.

Also, fibroids also frequently co-occur with other gynecological conditions. I have/had endo, adeno, and fibroids. I wouldn't read to much into the fibroid being something else.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register