Doctor's answers at odds to my research | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor's answers at odds to my research Doctor's answers at odds to my research

Unread 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Doctor's answers at odds to my research

Went for the pre-op appointment this morning and took along a large list of questions. Op is in 6 weeks and I am already prepared with my bedside stuff for when I come out of hospital. Heating pad, books, bell to ring to summon husband, grabber and all sorts of things that may be of use.

So you can imagine my surprise, after reading on this site about bed rest when home, I asked the doctor how long I could expect to be in bed and he replied "You won't be!". I was quite surprised because I do intend to stay in bed for a while regardless!

I said I had read that there is a lot of pain involved and he said it is easily managed, I will have a local anaesthetic in the area after the op and a pain pump when I am in hospital - he said 3-4 days - I am having abdominal hysterectomy - and when I go home it will just be Panadol but to be sure and take it regularly and not to wait until I am in pain.

My husband asked would I be able to climb into our SUV for the journey home and he said "Of course she will be able to climb into it!" As it is now I have to sort of haul myself up into it so hate to think what it will be like with stitches.!!!!

I must say he made it all sound like a walk in the park.
He was probably trying to be reassuring I suppose and I do feel a bit better about it but it certainly seemed at odds with the experiences of people on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Re: Doctor's answers at odds to my research

when i got home from hospital, i wasn't in bed at all. after being stuck in hospital 4 days i didn't want to be in bed! i had full TAH/BSO -- i did spend a lot of time on the couch the first 5 days home, but didn't use bed except for bedtime. you still do have to take it easy though! i think sometimes docs do the procedure so much they forget about the individual.
but i didn't have much issue w/ car - but an SUV sounds a bit different - can your hubby bring a box/ stepstool to help if the car is really tall?
My pain has been managed by super - Motrin & Percocet. I'm up & about every day - can fend for myself - but I don't life anything over about 2lbs and still take it easy - i'm only 14 days post op
Everyone is different - just listen to your body. But I'm here as a "good" story as I wasn't in bed & not having issues except swelly belly & occassional ouch in incision.
Best.
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:44 AM

he is being encouraging. I had a nap each afternoon, but it is important to keep moving around. My BF had that sorta car, I could get in and out......slowly.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Thanks peapodd33 and mountainwoman2

Yes, my husband said he was going to get a steps thingy - I suppose I will be OK as I mainly use my arms to swing myself up and in.

That is good to hear that I won't necessarily be bed-ridden after I am home. But I certainly won't be doing much for the first couple of weeks I imagine except to make sure I walk around at intervals to keep things moving.

I can't wait to get it done.
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:24 AM

Hi Jasnick ~~

I spent most of my time in my recliner with lots of pillows and a heating pad for my back. I drank lots of water to flush the anethesia out of my body, so got up often to go to the bathroom. I would try to walk around the house a bit when I got up. After about a week, I started to sleep in my bed at night propped up with lots of pillows. Each night I would remove one, until I was finally laying flat in bed like normal.

The step up into your vehicle is a good idea. Don't forget a pillow to put between your belly and seatbelt.

Best wishes to you while you wait for "your day". Let us know if you think of other questions you'd like answered.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM

I am 1 week post op. I came home in a SUV my husband helped me in but it was not bad. I also take a nap everyday about 2 hours. I do spend time on my couch so I would say I am not bedridden. However, I was in the hospitol for 4 days threee of those 4 days was bed ridden! I hope this helps. Good luck waiting really is the worst part!!!
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:44 AM

Hi Jasnik. My son spent 4 months in Perth last year going to ECU, he loved it and says the Aussies are great. He would love to move back. Anyway, I am 7 days post op from a TAH. We have a minivan and it's easy to get into it. I'm taller and can't imagine having to crouch down to get into a little car. I agree that your hubby may need to get you a step. I'm not on bed rest either. Granted I take my Norco every 4 hours and Motrin 800 mg every 8 hours. I camp out on my recliner to sit and sleep. I still get up to go potty, to walk around, to put dishes on top shelf of washer. I can do light housework stuff. It does hurts to bend over. I do have swelly belly and have to take my stool softener. Yes you will be tired and sore, but you will be able to function.
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Hi StarryNite

Yes, I had planned to use a pillow for the seatbelt! Sounds like you are doing OK. Thanks for the good wishes.

Hi Reann

Yes, waiting is the worst part! I am going to do lots of cooking for the freezer.

Hi Rachel

So glad to hear your son liked it here. I am about 140ks south of Perth, on a bush block - lovely and quiet! Yes, my doctor said I must take the pain meds on schedule and not wait for the pain before taking them so that is what I will do. Nice to know that I will not be a total invalid as I had expected!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register