Diarrhea with periods | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diarrhea with periods Diarrhea with periods

Unread 06-01-2001, 01:07 PM
Diarrhea with periods

Does anyone else get diarrhea or loose stools right before or during their period? I just found out on Wednesday that I need a hysterectomy due to heavy bleeding caused by fibroids. It seems like every month since the birth of my last baby (who is three now!) just gets worse and worse. I am in so much pain and the diarrhea along with it just makes matters worse. I am afraid that there is more wrong with me than just PMS, or is this normal?

Thanks,

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2001, 01:14 PM
Oh yes...I know what you mean

I always, ALWAYS got vicious intestinal cramping and diarrhea and/or loose stools when my period would first start. A real treat when I was already dealing with MONSTER cramps! The second day of my flow things were a lot better.
I will not miss this problem at all!
Unread 06-01-2001, 01:27 PM
Diarrhea with periods

My doctor said that having an enlarged uterus and large fibroids can also cause bowel and bladder problems. Can these be checked out during the hysterectomy, or should I request a colonoscopy just to be on the safe side? I'll be 40 in a couple weeks and never had one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2001, 01:34 PM
I am not a medical professional

But they will probably be able to tell a lot once they get inside you. Colonscopies are not really rountine until you hit the age of 50...then you get one every 5 years I believe. If they can't see the cause of this problem during your hyster...then they will follow up accordingly after you have had a chance to heal. Just make sure that your DD knows about this problem so he or she can look in the right places.
Unread 06-01-2001, 01:51 PM
Diarrhea with periods

I have always had diarrhea or loose stools with my periods. Ever since high school. Always new it was about time. First this then the cramps. Spent many times doubled over on the toilet. I did not get pregnant until I was 38 years old. 14 years of infertility. Things with my body changed alot after the pregnancy and a lot of my symptoms don't seem to be as bad during that time. However, now everything is about to fall out.
Due for crown June 27th.
I believe the diarrhea is pretty common.
Unread 06-01-2001, 04:28 PM
Diarrhea with periods

Hi, I had fibroids and oh yes, the diarrhea every month right before the monthlies hit! I'm so glad I don't have to put up with that (among other things) anymore!
Unread 06-01-2001, 04:39 PM
Diarrhea with periods

Hi Sue Welcome to Hyster Sisters.

I had my hyst for fibroids and don't remember loose stools, but, then again, I also had rectocele which led to constipation. I DID have problems with my bladder, though.

With the enlarged uterus, it makes sense that all the other nearby organs are also affected: they are scrunched up by the enlarged uterus.

Because of blood found in my urine, I had an IVP before my surgery, to check things out, but that is not a routine procedure either.

Have you mentionned the problems to your gyn? S/he is the best source of information for you, since s/he's the one who knows your particular situation.
Unread 06-02-2001, 12:46 AM
Diarrhea with periods

Hey, Sue!

I have always gotten diarrhea right before my period, as I did right before the birth of each of my children. I've always believed that it is a hormonal condition. The bowel empties out because the uterus is getting ready for contractions, whether for a birth or a monthly period. Just my own personal beliefs, but it sounds like it happens to a lot of the ladies here! Good luck to you! I'm going in for my TAH on 6/4. Of course, I just started my period. My body has always been cruel to me like this!!!
Unread 06-02-2001, 01:03 AM
Diarrhea with periods

Belle...kind of like that parting shot across the bow (or whatever it is that sailors say about the last attempt to "get" you). Fortunately, periods don't interfere with the surgery!

As to the diarrhea before and with periods, I had that, too. I sort of got clogged up before my period started and then everything kind of emptied out at once. Was a relief, usually, and not as bad as some of you have described. But I think it is pretty normal.

I had a TVH/BSO for fibroids which turned out to be adenomyosis. Since my surgery, "everything" works better...bowels and bladder both. I think my uterus was squashing things in there! So I feel like my other organs have applauded my decision to have the surgery...each in it's own way!

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with your doctor!
Unread 06-02-2001, 03:39 AM
Diarrhea w/periods

I'm new here and this site has been so informative. I always know when my period would start for real as mother nature would empty the bowels. Soon after, it emptied everything else. What a cycle. Made me feel like a sewage plant. However I am having a TVH/lap on 6/4. My period also just started. Guess I can use up the rest of the tampoons now. I won't need them again. Yipee!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register