Question for sisters who had an LSH...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for sisters who had an LSH...... Question for sisters who had an LSH......

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Question for sisters who had an LSH......

I know I brought this up two weeks ago but I am still in the same boat and wondering if I should be concerned.

I had my LSH on 10/27 (ovaries kept) and I am still soooo sore. I have terrible lower abdominal pain and constant pulling and tugging. I am able to take care of my kids and meet their basic needs but other than that I am still pretty much couch/bed bound. I thought that we were supposed to bounce back quickly from an LSH. I know there is no such thing as "normal" and everyone heals differently and I do have an extensive case of pelvic congestion syndrome that may be adding to the mix but I am getting very discouraged.

Can those of you that had an LSH tell me if you are experiencing this as well? If you are back to normal and if yes, when you were?

Thank you to those of you who shared your stories with me several weeks ago. I would love to hear how you are doing now and if there are any new sisters out there who have recently had an LSH I would love to hear from you too.

Thanks in advance,
rndeneen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Re: Question for sisters who had an LSH......

I'm still getting sore three months plus. But it gets much better. For me, the 8-week mark was a big one in terms of stamina improving and pain decreasing.
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Question for sisters who had an LSH......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndeneen View Post
I know I brought this up two weeks ago but I am still in the same boat and wondering if I should be concerned.

I had my LSH on 10/27 (ovaries kept) and I am still soooo sore. I have terrible lower abdominal pain and constant pulling and tugging. I am able to take care of my kids and meet their basic needs but other than that I am still pretty much couch/bed bound. I thought that we were supposed to bounce back quickly from an LSH. I know there is no such thing as "normal" and everyone heals differently and I do have an extensive case of pelvic congestion syndrome that may be adding to the mix but I am getting very discouraged.

Can those of you that had an LSH tell me if you are experiencing this as well? If you are back to normal and if yes, when you were?

Thank you to those of you who shared your stories with me several weeks ago. I would love to hear how you are doing now and if there are any new sisters out there who have recently had an LSH I would love to hear from you too.

Thanks in advance,
rndeneen
I understand what you are going through. I had my LSH on Oct 30th- kept cervix and ovaries. Had lots of endo removed and my uterus was full of both endo/adno. It has been a much slower recovery than anticipated. I was released for work 2wks after surgery. Thank goodness I only work 2 days a week and my job is really flexible.I had a hard time driving there and was so sore that I turned around and went back home.I have made little trips out to the store, but afterwards I'm just sore and worn out for the day.I still have the tugging sensation by 2 incisions and I have swelly belly especially at night. I know it's frustrating. I keep seeing other posts that say 8 wks is a turning point so I am hopeful that it will get better with time.Best wishes to you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2009, 06:35 AM

I almost feel guilty posting a reply to your question. I had my LSH with both ovaries removed on 9/17 and I was feeling pretty good by the end of week two and completely recovered by week four. Each person is different and heals in their own time. If you have children to take care of I'm sure that has slowed you down a little. My daughter is an adult and the only wee one I have around the house is my 4 pound yorkie. If you had your LSH on 10/27 you are just now approaching the one month mark. I'm sure you will be feeling better soon, but if you are truly concerned that you are not recovering like you should be then call your DR. Good luck.
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:13 AM

I had an LSH on the 27th as well. Kept my ovaries and my cervix. My problem is I am tired one day ok the next and then tired again the next. I have a little tugging on my left side close to my belly button. It seems to be getting better though. I have no other problems. I can go to the gym and workout. I only do the treadmill for 30 minutes and that is no where near me being in my normal regimen. I am normally, 3 days of hard cardio for an hour and 2 days of rigorous weight lifting. I expected to go back into my work out slowly. A little gassy depending on what I eat. Definitely have to change my eating habits.
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:17 AM

Hi Sisters,
So good to talk to other LSH girls.I too had an LSH. Mine was for a large fibroid. I am now 6weeks 6 days. I had all the same discomforts fatigue you described. I started to drive at the 6 week mark.
I do want to say that it was nice not to have the big ab incision but my insides were still hurting the same.
At 2 weeks post op I was just getting my head out of the anaesthetic daze and I was still extremely tired. I couldn't imagine trying to drive or work. I am so glad Your work was not full time. I would have certainly 'crashed'
That pulling and pelvic 'pain' sure was/is a bother. I would just sit and rest and put a heating 'magic bag' on the area.
I am feeling so much better at 6 weeks compared to 4 weeks when I just wished 'it' was over with.
I have just recently started to push myself to walk further.I feel pretty good walking but I do find that the fatigue hits me later. I am now sleeping better. If I drink too much before bed I still need to get up to pee but I seem to get back to sleep.
I just recently had some vaginal sloughing. My husband and I tried intercourse. He said I didn't need for his sake but I wanted to try. It was too dry sand papery. Called Dr and suggested I probably have a Candida/Yeast and to treat it as such. My husband seems to have it to.
So... this journey has some bumps in the road but I am so glad to actually be able to have a decent BM. Its been 2 years of chronic constipation and stress incontinance because of the pelvic pressure. And yes my pelvic bone doesn't feel so bruised now and my belly button incison is mostly healed.
I do appreciate you other LSH gals. Being able to compare is such a comfort.

Unread 11-23-2009, 07:25 AM

I also felt that my recovery was not going as quickly as I wanted and had heard it would be. At four weeks I still had pain and felt weak. At that time my doctor released me from all restrictions but I did not feel I was ready for it. At six weeks I felt better but still achy at times. At eight weeks I was back to normal. Not everybody is a textbook case. You did have major surgery and your body needs time to recover.
Unread 11-23-2009, 09:02 AM

Really great thread topic as this was exactly what I was looking for pre-op getting prepared for surgery. With that said, I too am a little hesitant to post because I feel guilty that I am doing so great. I had my LSH on 11/11 and started back to work today (11 days) full time. I have, for the most part, a desk job, so that helps a bunch. I really don't have a job that required a release from the dr but he would have given me all the time I needed. I feel the tugging sensation, but the pain has diminished almost completely. Just a little achy. Basically taking no medication as of yesterday...but will see how today goes...I'll let you know.

I don't have real little ones at home, and my family has taken good care of me, so that has helped with my recovery the most I believe. Also, I was only in the hospital for 7 hrs, surgery 1 1/2 hrs, keeping cervix and ovaries. I had general anesthesia as was woken immediately while I was still in the operating room, so I had no ill effects from the anesthetic. I think they must have improved those methods immensly in recent years.

I know everyone is different, but I hope you see improvement each and every day. Day 2-5 were the hardest for me...I felt one step forward one day, then two steps back the next., but when I turned that "corner" it was amazing how good I felt...I think I just felt so horrible before I had surgery that this has helped my recovery as well. Sorry for the long post...but best of luck in the days ahead.
Unread 11-23-2009, 11:19 AM

I am so glad to finally see some posts from others that had an LSH. I was starting to think I was one of the very few out there. I am also glad to hear that I am not the only one that was sore at the four week mark (not that I want anyone to suffer) it just helps make you feel more "normal". I do have two wee ones to run after (ages three and five) and I feel like I am bending over every three seconds to pick something up. I also have to get the five yr. old off to school in the morning and pick her up at noon, they both have dance, etc. etc. We also had a scare with my older dtr and she had to go for two MRIs these past two weeks so I have been running around these past few weeks like a chicken with my head cut off to one doctor after another. I don't think any of this has helped as I haven't been able to rest as I should. I have also had company since the day I got out of the hospital. Yes, they were here to "help" but you just don't rest the way that you should when you have guests and I just couldn't help but feel like I had to be the hostess to some degree. So... in short, I just don't think I have let myself recover. I have been resting more this past week and intend to for the next two now that my house is empty. I still have the kids to take care of but the rest has settled down.

I also have to take my pelvic congestion syndrome into consideration. I am sure it is only making matters worse.

Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to get back to "normal".

rndeneen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register