June 7th Surgery TAH, getting nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

June 7th Surgery TAH, getting nervous June 7th Surgery TAH, getting nervous

Unread 06-02-2001, 09:36 AM
June 7th Surgery TAH, getting nervous

I feel like I want to jJust cancel it!!! I know I can not do that but as it gets closer I get more nervous. I guess this is normal. I have had a c_section before but I hear this is much worse as far as pain and recovery?? Is this true?? I hate to take anything stronger than a tylenol. I have fibroids and Uterine cancer, My DR is wonderful he says we caught it in time. No further treatment will be needed. I have been bleeding since Dec 6,2000 the day after my anniversary. I have had problems for years though. I am glad I will never have to use a pad again after the recovery that is.I can not tell you how many trips have been ruined by my bleeding problems. My dr says he will save an ovary, but not sure until he gets in there. Is that a good idea?? this is all new to me. I never had these problems until I got a tubal about 10 years ago. That is when this all started as far as the bleeding . well thanks for letting me rant . any suggestions?? I have read all the helpful hints and i am going to write down some of the questions to ask my Dr at my pro-op visit June 4th. thanks ladies this site is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 09:49 AM

Hey You! I am cryiing right along with you this morning!!!
My lap is monday and I can't stop the tears and nerves...and it is only the lap before the hyster!!!
I know someone will be along soon to answer your questions. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!
Luv, Peanut
Unread 06-02-2001, 09:59 AM

I too was very nervous before my surgery. My thank God I went through. The nerves are just your body's way of dealing with the tension. Stay busy and keep yourself focused on things you like to do. I prayed a lot during those days leading up to surgery. It provided peace to my spirit.

Yes, it hurts (more than what a tylenol will cover) but the end results are wonderful. I can now travel and go to work without the worry of bleeding through. THAT is a confidence builder!

I will pray for you both.

Jamie
TAH/BSO Surgery 3-13-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 10:06 AM

I totally sympathize! I'm going in for my TAH on Monday and I can't sleep. Everyone both here and my friends say its no fun but ok. I'm told the drugs are good ones and they work. They all emphasize really, really not doing anything and taking it easy. I'm not good at this, but I'm willing to learn. One thing that helped this week was to tie dye my robe. I had a plain white cotton robe and my daughter and I tie dyed it in rainbow colors. It came out very pretty, we enjoyed doing it together, and it will brighten up the cold hospital. I also went to the library for some books on tape to listen to next week. I guess my strategy is to not think about it too much, and its sort of working until about 3 AM. Then I feel pretty scared. Take care of yourself! HUGS.
Genie
Unread 06-02-2001, 10:34 AM

Going for surgery is very scary. I had never had surgery before and I was afraid of everything – staying in the hospital, anesthesia, potential pain, etc. I used meditation, talking, walking, and distraction to help me deal with pre-op anxiety. Once you get to the hospital, the nurses and your doctor will handle everything. It's almost like being a widget in a factory. Hysterectomies are bread-and-butter surgeries for hospital – they do so many of them. They know just what to do and they are all there to help you.

It varies from person to person, but I never had ANY significant pain, which seems amazing. I was pretty doped up from the anesthesia at first, then Perocet and Ibuprofen, and now just Ibuprofen which I still need (6 weeks post-op) in the evenings.

I spent so much time worrying about the surgery, I didn't think I enough about how long 6 weeks can be when you aren't doing much of anything except resting. Be sure that you have enough books or movies or whatever you like to relax with after you get home. I also took a hint from one of the sisters here and hung up things that I could look at while I was in bed.

People from the site will be thinking of you and praying for you. Be sure to check out the chat room and keep posting here.
Unread 06-02-2001, 10:42 AM
Encouragement

Dear Angie,
I certainly understand your apprehension about going on with the surgery, but "go for it girl!". I had my AH on April 17, 2001 and I don't know why someone didn't just put me out of my misery sooner. Go in there as the proactive Princess and take your body back from sickness and pain. Sure, you will hurt from the operation, but if you rest properly and allow your body to heal it will be well worth if. A close friend of mine since childhood, who lives in Richmond, told me before my surgery that she had a TAH. I didn't know this, but she promised me that I would feel better than I have in years. I held onto her counsel and arrived at the hospital with a very positive "let's do this thing" attitude. Everyone told me to start walking as soon as I can, so I walked the castle hallways everyday that I was able. If you have religious beliefs, they will become more real to you if you trust and truly believe. My Savior assured me that everything would be alright and I went under anethesia with a prayer in my heart.
I encourage you to leave your current suffering behind. Life is full of transitions, ready or not, but keep in mind that this is not an ending but a glorious new beginning. A new stage in life where your favorite outfits are safe from blood stains, no more embarrassing sweater moments, no more anemia, and in time a sense of feeling healthy for once in a long time.
Joy and Genie share your concerns. I pray for you all. I'm here if you need me. I IM and return e-mails.
Since my surgery, I am.......
Unread 06-02-2001, 10:57 AM

Hi, Angie,
I forgot to say that 1 of the nurses told me to "keep ahead of the pain" and that advice helped a lot. I didn't wait to see how I felt to take my meds until I was about 3 weeks post-op. I took my meds by the clock and I really rested a lot. I felt like I should be doing more, but when I did, I'd feel so achy and tired. After a few weeks, I began it feel more energtic and that's when I started to add more activities. Really listen to your body and take your meds.
Unread 06-02-2001, 11:30 AM
Hi Angie

I am one of the worlds biggest chickens and if you go back through my posts, you will find this to be sooooo true. You will also find all kinds of helpful information that I recieved from my sisters on this site while I was freaking out pre-op.
I even walked out of the hospital on my first attempt. Now, as I sit here on the other side, I feel so bad for you as I know exactly how it feels to be sitting on your side. When the sisters say that waiting is the worst part, please listen to them as they are 100% correct. The pain for me was VERY minimal but I had a laporascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I never took anything stronger than Tylenol. Wait...I did push my pain button twice when the gas hit. With a LAVH, they inflate your abdominal cavity with gas to expand it. The demerol didn't help a whole lot so I just stuck to the Tylenol. One of my biggest concerns was the anesthesia and although it wasn't enjoyable, it was okay too. The worst part truly is the wait so keep yourself busy and keep telling yourself that you will soon be writing to the other ladies in waiting. If you have any questions that you want answered, feel free to email me at bandc@northlink.com
Blessings and prayers for peace are headed your way. Open your arms and your heart and then...embrace them.
Brenda.
Unread 06-02-2001, 04:19 PM

Angie, Peanut, Jamie and Genie: your wait is almost over. And it IS true: the waiting is the worst part. Soon, you'll be newly crowned 's telling others how true this is

I had my TVH in December 2000 and was VERY surprised at how little pain I had. This is because the nurses were soooo intent on managing my pain. And the demerol/morphine combination did wonders for me. I had that PCA for the first 24 hours and it saw me through that first night. And it's true what they say: you have to stay ahead of the pain. That way, it doesn't creep up on you. The times I didn't - because I had difficulties breathing and the nurses wanted to monitor how I was doing without it - is the only time I got fretful from the pain.

After the first 24 hours, I was on Tylenol 3 for 1 day and then requested regular Tylenol: I'd had rectocele repair and didn't want to risk the complications of constipation.

I know all of this is really overwhelming. That's why we also have the chat room, where there's bound to be other and ready to lend a helping hand. Please, do feel free to join us.

Best of luck and looking forward to reading your stories.
Unread 06-02-2001, 04:41 PM

Hello, Angie!
We have the same surgery date, and I am also getting a little nervous here-- definitely don't want to call it off, but nervous just the same. Have been anemic and SO tired for so long-- today I had lots of energy and I just cleaned all kinds of things that haven't been cleaned for a long time... Trying to stay busy. Going for my pre-op bloodwork and EKG on Monday. This has been a LONG wait, can't wait for no more bleeding.
I will be thinking of you, hang in there, everything is going to be okay-- the nurses are there to HELP, let them!
Good luck, what time is your surgery? Mine is at 7:30 in the morning...
Love from Les

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register