Trying to get an idea... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying to get an idea... Trying to get an idea...

Unread 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Trying to get an idea...

lol I am full of questions today

I was sitting here reading through posts and was hoping to get ann idea of what type of pain to expect. I had an ablation, my tubes tied and laparoscopic removal of my right ovary in 2006 and an appendectomy in 2007...for anyone who has had the same surgeries...is the pain level somewhat similiar at all? I am getting a lavh with removal of my remaining ovary. After I had the appendectomy last year, I woke up in recovery pretty fast and was back in my room in no time. I was in the hospital for only 24 hours because the doctors said I was doing great and went home with vicodin (which I really didnt take because I hated the way they made me feel) and got a prescription for percoset instead. I guuess what I am asking is...is the "aftermath" somewhat the same or will the hysterectomy be worse?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Trying to get an idea...

Hello!
I did not have any kind of surgery prior to my recent LAVH but I wanted to respond to you!

I was REALLY apprehensive about the whole surgical experience from Pre-op to anesthesia to the actual procedure. ( I was told they would start my procedure as a LAVH and if it could not be done then I would have the incision type of procedure.)

I also had a UTI prior to going into surgery which was detected the Friday before my Monday surgery! So in addition to the bowl prep the whole weekend (all clear liquids ONLY!) I had to take strong antibiotics.
Honestly I was fine. I have learned how strong my body is.

When I arrived at the hospital, there was a 2+ hour delay because of an emergency which came in. I amazingly was fine during that time. BP was a little elevated, but that is normal I am told.

Sure I had my breakdowns at times, but for the most part, I finally LET GO AND LET GOD. I had found my trust and faith for what was to come.

I took the anesthesia very well and woke up in NO pain and very calm! I had that pain button the first night in the hospital but i used it only 4 times mainly because I was in more pain from the freaking IV site annoying me!

I was UP and going to the bathroom within 4 hours post op and the more I tried to move a bit, the more the gas bubbles would move around and come out. All in all it was more discomfort in the body than anything else.

I also wanted OUT of the hospital (not that everyone there was not superb and on top of things I just wanted to go home!!!!) and kept asking what I needed to do to be released. The nurses and doctors told me I would need to walk, pee, pass gas, & eat solids foods a bit.

So there were my goals in front of me. I was out of that hospital 24 hours after I came out of recovery!!!

So sis, in my case, it had to do with mental attitude and how badly I wanted something.

Since being home (I am 10 days post op) I have NOT taken a pill for anything. I have no bleeding at all. I walked around every day and though I did not push myself, I knew it made me feel better to move things around inside by moving a bit.

So there is my little story to date... take from it what you want...each body is different (and I have an obese body and I am diabetic and suffer from Panic disorder).

Have faith and find your peace... You will do fine....

Unread 12-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Trying to get an idea...

I had an appendectomy two years ago laproscopically. Even though my appendix was very inflamed, I did not even have to take an aspirin after that surgery. Was in the hospital overnight and back to work in three days.

For my daVinci hysterectomy, I took Toradol shots in the hospital - was in overnight - and was sent home with vicodin. Vicodin made me very constipated so I stopped it three days after surgery and managed with 800 mg of ibuprifin daily after that.

I hope this helps you in preparing for your surgery. The gas pain after the hysterectomy was worse than the surgical pain. I had no gas pains after the appendectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register