Need so advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need so advice Need so advice

Unread 05-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Need so advice

Hi, I'm new here and am having TAH on the 26th of June. I am a little worried and scared. The doctor is planning to leave my ovaries if they are ok. I have read some books to get me ready for this, but it left me with more questions. Some people have told me that by leaving my ovaries that I will still have my monthly, how can that be? Please someone help me understand.

Lots of Love,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2002, 10:07 AM
No uterus, no period

Angie,

Welcome to hystersisters!

I, too, heard some nasty rumors about light periods after a TAH. It didn't make any sense to me, but I asked and the idea was squelched by women who have been there.

Since the menstural build-up is in the uterus, and he is taking the uterus, there can be no build-up, thus no discharge.

I have not had my surgery yet (11 days to go), but from what I understand, there could be some bloody discharge immediately post-op, as well as some blood-tinged discharge as the internal stitches heal.

No more periods is one of the best benefits of having the surgery--if we don't get that, I'm rethinking this whole thing!

Nancy
Unread 05-13-2002, 10:09 AM
Need so advice

Hi, Angie,

The decision about whether to keep your ovaries, or to have them removed, is a very personal one. Two factors to consider are your age, and family history of ovarian cancer.

Some women, who choose to keep one or both ovaries, and their cervix, have "miniperiods." During the time when they would have menstruated, their cervix may bleed slightly.

Also, some women who keep one or both ovaries may experience PMS symptoms after their hysterectomy.

Good luck with your choice.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Hello

I had a TAH and kept my ovaries. I do not bleed each month as my Dr took my cervix as well. I still get very mild PMS each month where I crave chocolate and my breasts hurt. Other than that nothing. It is so wonderful.

Good luck

Unread 05-13-2002, 01:26 PM
Thank you

Thank you all, you have put my mind at ease. The doctor is taking my cervix out too. The reason I am having this is because I am tired of living with the pain, in the last 4 years I have had to have 2 dienostope (bad spelling) scope surgerys and all they found was scar tissue. The pain just keeps getting worse, so the dr. said our last resort was to take it out. Some times I wish he would just take it all out.

Lots of Love,
Unread 05-13-2002, 01:51 PM
Need so advice

Maybe the hormonal cycle is what people meant when they said you'd still have a period or a cycle. If you keep your ovaries, you will still have hormonal cycles in your body, just no bleeding without a uterus.

If you're having your cervix removed, you won't have mini-periods. The cervix is really just part of the uterus, which is why some women who keep their cervixes bleed a little each month.

I kept ovaries & had my cervix removed, and let me tell you, it's heaven! I can't tell you how excited I was to get my first PMS post-op and know it wasn't going to progress into agony!!

Good luck,

Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register