dying fibroid is UFE an option | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dying fibroid is UFE an option dying fibroid is UFE an option

Unread 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM
dying fibroid is UFE an option

Has anybody had experience with a dying fibroid? If so, was the Uterine Fibroid Embolization an option for you? Or is a Hysterectomy my only option? I would love to hear from somebody who experienced this and what option you went with.
My MRI showed several large fibroids orange size plus multiple smaller ones, my tummy feels swollen from them. I also had bleeding that was horrendous. Dr. gave me progestrin and it shut down the bleeding immediately, but now If I can just get the bloated feeling to dissipate I would be thrilled is their anything I can do to get rid of the heavy feeling? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Re: dying fibroid is UFE an option

I'm not sure what you mean by a "dying fibroid" ...

Uterine artery embolization (UAE aka UFE) eliminates the blood flow to the fibroids, causing them to shrink gradually over time. It often reduces menstrual flow as well. For women with small to medium sized fibroids (like yours) it can be a good option to consider. For super large fibroids, it might not shrink them enough to reduce bulk symptoms.

If you are interested in this option, you should ask to be referred to an interventional radiologist. UAE is not performed by a gynecologist.

Good luck!
Unread 10-20-2016, 03:00 PM

One of my fibroids inside me is basically dying- nucrosis on one side of the fibroid its called. Had a biopsy that ruled out cancer of the dying fibroid. Yes I am totally aware, an interventional radiologist does the UFE procedure. My dr. feels I am probably NOT a good candidate for the procedure as complications may arise due to this and I'd have to have a hysterectomy afterwards. So one and done is his philosophy, I am not on hysterectomy board yet! Hopefully somebody here experienced this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM

I think UFE is a great option for a dying fibroid because a fibroid that is dying on its own can be very painful. UFE, or UAE as I had, will cause all of your fibroids to die at once. You'll be given pain meds and be under a doctor's care. I'm not sure why a gyn would say you may not be a good candidate as interventional Radiology is not their speciality.I was told over and over by GYN's I was not a candidate but my IR said I was the perfect candidate. My fibroid has shrunk over 90% and my horrific bleeding stopped immediately. The fibroid was my problem and I only wanted the problem treated. I didn't want major surgery as my first alternative. This suggestion made no sense to me whatsoever. I figured I would start with the least invasive first. Like you part of my fibroid was beginning to calcify however the majority of it was alive and making me miserable. I had terrible cramping. I'm glad the progestin has helped you. I didn't go that route. I wanted a myo but could not find a doctor I trusted. I know I would have woken to everything removed and juggling HRT for the rest of my years. If you read Medscape the doctors website you will read women are highly satisfied with UAE.
Unread 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM

Thanks sisterduke for your reply!!! That gives me hope. I will get a referral to see an IR and bring my MRI results for him to see my dying fibroid and other fibroids to see if I am a candidate for this. I certainly do NOT want to be gutted! That would be my last resort.

Thanks I will also check out the medscape with a google search.

I read somewhere's that somebody with a dying fibroid had the UFE and she had a horrible smell coming out of her like something died and yeah it was the fibroid that died awhile ago inside her AND she literally passed a fibroid as big as a potatoe vaginally sometime after her UFE procedure. Yikes, I think I may have read it on this site actually, unsure where but it scared the bejessus out of me. Perhaps this is why my gyno doesn't want that to happen to me, risk of infection perhaps if that happened to me.
I also read that their was a 5% chance of this happening and somebody else said more like a 30% chance. I will keep researching my research as we are our own advocate these days for health!
Thanks again.
Unread 10-20-2016, 04:28 PM

Infection happens but it seems to be rare. I was warned to call if I ever developed a fever greater than 102. I never did but may have had occasional low grade fevers in the beginning. All in all it was a fairly easy procedure for me. You are very welcome! Please let us know if you are a candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihavefibroids View Post
Thanks sisterduke for your reply!!! That gives me hope. I will get a referral to see an IR and bring my MRI results for him to see my dying fibroid and other fibroids to see if I am a candidate for this. I certainly do NOT want to be gutted! That would be my last resort.

Thanks I will also check out the medscape with a google search.

I read somewhere's that somebody with a dying fibroid had the UFE and she had a horrible smell coming out of her like something died and yeah it was the fibroid that died awhile ago inside her AND she literally passed a fibroid as big as a potatoe vaginally sometime after her UFE procedure. Yikes, I think I may have read it on this site actually, unsure where but it scared the bejessus out of me. Perhaps this is why my gyno doesn't want that to happen to me, risk of infection perhaps if that happened to me.
I also read that their was a 5% chance of this happening and somebody else said more like a 30% chance. I will keep researching my research as we are our own advocate these days for health!
Thanks again.
Unread 10-20-2016, 04:54 PM

Yeah, there are risks with ALL procedures just like side effects risks of medications. 10-4, I will!
Unread 10-22-2016, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure if my fibroid was dying, but I am extremely happy with the UFE procedure. (My fibroid was 9 cm.) It's been two years now, and I feel like a new woman!
Unread 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM

How wonderful to hear this Quee! I hope I am a good candidate for it as less invasive would be a wonderful alternative for me! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Unread 11-01-2016, 05:17 PM

I met with a gyno oncologist this week regarding the dying fibroid and the only way to know if it's cancer is to have it removed. I know this truly is the best option to remove the problem instead of trying to shrink it and see what transpires. The weight of these fibroids and pain is getting unbearable. I will endure a laproscopic hysterectomy next month for removal of uterus, tubes, cervix, she will leave my ovaries if they are not damaged so I don't go into surgical menopause. Of course the laproscopic procedure may be changed to a vertical abdominal hysterectomy once inside depending on what she discovers and if lymph nodes need to be removed, if its cancer etc. My mind is at ease that this is the best option and my gut tells me this is the right thing to do. I'm moving forward with a cancer dr., I know I'm in good hands for whatever the outcome will be and I have a good support system in place.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register