numb belly and heavy swollen breasts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

numb belly and heavy swollen breasts numb belly and heavy swollen breasts

Unread 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
numb belly and heavy swollen breasts

Hello All,

I had a TAH on 7/3. Most of my belly above incision (bikini cut), and some below the incision, is entirely numb to the touch - and has been since the surgery. No feeling whatsoever. It's almost as if they put novacain in there it hasn't worn off - its been four days.

Also, starting yesterday, my breasts feel heavy and swollen, not really sore, just heavy/swollen.

Anyone else have these issues. Does the numbness go away???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Re: numb belly and heavy swollen breasts

I am 2 months post op and also have a bikini cut. It still has some numbness. When they cut they also cut nerves that are close to the surface. it can take awhile for them to grow back but feeling will come back mine is just starting. When they do start to grow back you may feel some itching or tingling. My breast did not feel that way but did get sore nipples like before starting a period.

Carrie
TAH & BSO
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Nerve fibers, called axons, extend from neurons and carry electrical signals around the body. When a nerve is severed, both the axon and its supportive myelin sheath are damaged. Although axons grow back after being severed, they do not do so fast enough, or over sufficient distance, to repair major damage.

So in a sense they do not grow back. but there are thousands of nerves in just one tiny spot. What you feel, the itching and tingles, are other nerves in the area learning to do what the damaged ones did. This takes time and I was told that stroking or rubbing the area helps to awaken other nerves to take over. don't know if it helps. But like you I have this inverted T area of numbness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM

I am surprised your doc didn't tell you of this. It is exactly as ranger said and it will be like that for a while. I am still numb and im at almost two weeks. It is a weird feeling, but probably a Godsend too. Can you imagine what we could feel if it wasn't numb? Anyway so all is good just sit back and relax!!!
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM

I had a different procedure so don't know about the tummy.

But wanted to comment on the boob thing. I noticed my are larger too. Not sure why. LOL
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM

I had mine done on June 1st and it still feels strange. I think you just get used to it. Hang in there
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:38 PM

I did not have the same incision but I had very sore nipples and my breasts did feel heavy.
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

I am 13 almost 14 weeks post op and the area above my incision is still somewhat numb and tingly and tender. says all is well "I had to move a lot of things around in there, you will be swollen and tender for a while" I'm learning to live with it - no other choice.

Wanda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register