4 days post op worst hospital stay ever!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post op worst hospital stay ever!!!! 4 days post op worst hospital stay ever!!!!

Unread 10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
4 days post op worst hospital stay ever!!!!

I had a TAH Oct 23 my was great about everything, I even got to keep both my ovaries, but it was the everything that came afterward that upset me. I went into surgery at 8:30 am and the surgy only lasted 2hrs and 8mins, but I ended up being in the recovery room till 3:30 in the afternoon, where I also had an anxiety attack!! Believe me the crying and hyperventaling did absolouty nothing to help my pain. The nurses had to give me something to calm me down and some extra pain meds at that point. When I finally got to my room and was able to see my mom and fiancee I felt like every think was going to be better, but I was wrong. I was unable to sleep, I would doze in and out from the pain meds, but not sleep. Then the nurse let my pain pump run out for about 30 minutes, my IV fluids started beeping that they were low so I paged the nurse to let her know and they didn't take care of that for almost a full hour. It got to the point that even though I wasent bleening heavily I still wanted a pad on so I had to request those, I had to start checking my own cathater bag because at one point it was completely full so I had to tell the nurse it needed emptied, the nurses started to complain about how much pain medication I had went through (I also have fibro) so my DR. ordered a different pain med. which helped alot more. After they removed the cath. I would page the nurse to help me to the bathroom and no one would come, so I got to the point that I quit paging for help to the bathroom. On my 3rd attempt to the bathroom I was unable to pee, so I was on the toilet with my legs numb crying and my bladder in serious pain(I also have IC) and my DR. walked in and found me like this, unfortunately I ended up getting the cath. put back in, at the same time my DR. said I could go home that day if I had a bowel movement, and he was taking me off liquid diet and putting me on solids, lunch trays came shortly after and it was a liquid tray, so the nurse told them it was supposed to be solid, at this point I had started to empty out my own cath bag, about 45 mins later they brought up another tray, another liquid tray!!!! In between this time the nurse had given me and enema and two laxatives to help my bowels. About an hour and a half later I still hadent heard anything so I grabbed my cath bag and went out to the nurses station and asked her what was going on, she said she didnt know but she went to the nurses lounge and got me a sandwich, and a couple of other things to eat, by the time I finally left the hospital the last time I had had anything for pain was at 3:30 and I left at 6:30 on sunday, so just my luck all the pharmacys were closed, my fiacnee had to work 1st shift, and I have a 6 inch or longer cut on my stomach, so I knew I was in trouble, But thank god for my mom and my sister cause they drove 30 minutes to my house to take care of me!!!! I LOVE U MOM AND SISSY!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Re: 4 days post op worst hospital stay ever!!!!

I am sorry to hear your hospital stay was a nightmare. I had my TAH (kept one ovary) on 10/21. I was in so much pain and my first nurse was was uncompasionate and kept saying, well you just had surgery of course you are in pain. I kept telling her something was wrong and needed more pain meds. Thank Goodness that shift change occurred 30 minutes later. The next RN was very compassionate, followed up with my MD and then informed me that I had so much pain because they scraped my ovary off of something, she then gave me another dose of pain meds and was very attentive to my needs all night. Never once did she dismiss my pain.
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Welcome
I am so sorry you had such a bad hospital stay! I hope your recovery goes much smoother!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM

I am so sorry you went through all that. I have learned that we really do have to take care of ourselves a lot. My hospital stay was terrible too. My pain pump was beeping & I kept calling to let them know. She finally checked it & said oh its fine & it will still last a while. Next thing I know it is out & she has to call my doctor at 4am to get him to authorize another one. It took forever. The over night nurse was never available. I was so glad to be home where my Mom could at least help me. I was expecting much better care than that too.
Unread 10-27-2009, 01:13 PM

I am sorry you had such an awful experience!!It sounds to me like they just wanted to get you up and out. You should have been taken care of properly!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register