Confused about having surgery or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about having surgery or not Confused about having surgery or not

Unread 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Confused about having surgery or not

Hello new to the site. Read many posts for awhile but this is my first post.

Have an enlarged uterus and fibroids, but have no pain or bleeding issues. I am 57 and sort of in menopause, started missing periods in the past 8 months.

Doctor did a sonogram, uterus biopsy,urodynamic testing{sp} Started having some urine leaking this past year. Thought it was from the uterus being large and pressing on bladder.

Well go to a gyneo office, had a male doc he was nice, but really left everything up to me. So it was a wait and see approach. So this is all new to me and I was stressing on what to do. I decided to change doctors within the office to a woman. Talked her I was leaking, than she did an exam and now I have uterine prolapse.

Why the other doctor did not notice I don't know. Well she starts talking about mesh and I said you mean all those lawsuits...her response was we don't use that mesh. And never said what she used.

She scheduled the uro testing...did that. And than they make another appt to see her and even got me to schedule a date for hysterectomy surgery.

Everything went so fast so I just canceled and said I am not ready. Than I made another appt and canceled that. I found her to be evasive and I don't trust her. She never discussed any options I could take.

I am so confused...do I need surgery...will I leak forever....will my uterus go down? It is hard for me to ask questions when things are happening so fast and than the visit is over. Now I want to find another doctor. Are they all like this? Hard for me to trust, especially when they use mesh and there is so many issues with that alone.

Any advice would be welcomed...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Re: Confused about having surgery or not

I guess no one else is going thru what I am ...oh well
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM

By all means, please get a second opinion.... and a third, if you still feel unsure about what's going on.
This is a HUGE decision and you should not feel rushed or underinformed in making it.

Write down all your questions, including your concerns about the different types of mesh and possible alternatives... and then ask "What didn't I ask that I ought to?"- write down the answers, get the correct spelling for any terms you want to research (and don't be shy about asking the doc "What does that mean?")

You can't make an informed decision without information and you certainly can't make a good choice when you don't really trust your provider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Get another opinion. Trust your gut. If you don't trust her, you don't trust her. I wound up having a hysterectomy still, but I did wind up using my second opinion doctor who I now love after having some issues with my old OBGYN's office.

I don't think prolapse gets better with time, but a second opinion could tell you that. My grandmother had a hysterectomy for prolapse in her late 60s or early 70s. If prolapse doesn't get better (again, 2nd and/or 3rd opinion will tell you that), I would advise having the surgery now as you are always younger today than you are tomorrow, and your body's ability to recover declines with age (or so we are led to believe).

Best of luck!
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM

I went through menopause at age 58. The fibroid compressed on my bladder as well as on my intestines. I just suffered until I learned about MRI focused ultrasound that can ablate fibroid tumors.
I just had this procedure on January 11, 2013. After the procedure, I had a very nice lunch with a very good Bordeaux wine. Naturally, I had a nap for some hours after that. When I woke up, I felt fine. I had no pain at all. I was not even tired!
Why not investigate a noninvasive surgery?
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks you all for your posts. I made an appt w another doctor and see what he says. Thinking 23 will ask about that procedure, just overwhelmed with it all. I don't want any mesh at all.

Lately having issues w abrupt bowels...rush to the bathroom. Started w the urine leaking for the past 6 months. Don't know if the enlarged uterus or the prolapse is causing all these changes. Getting old sucks...lol.

Very much into non-invasive surgery.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM

It's a very major decision and it is very confusing and often the information is robotic and conscripted.
You must think for yourself after evaluating all the issues that are only relevent to you. I thought about it for years after reading everything I could.
Still I don't know if I made the right choice. Only time will tell.
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Of course this is a distressing time for you and gone are the days of the kindly doc who educates and counsels. Some of the women who post on this site are fortunate to have this kind of physician. My experience has been different, my gyn is rushed, her office is disorganized and I've seen this practice change over the past 10 years and 1 past successful surgery I've had with her. They've tried to rush me into a surgery date when there isn't really the medical necessity that it be done that fast. My surgery is scheduled soon, but not as fast as their own scheduling needs wanted it to occur. I have confidence in my gyn as a surgeon but as a communicator and educator she is terrible. So I've been on the tiring quest for 2nd and 3rd opinons and encourage you to do the same until you are satisfied you understand as much as you can. Good luck with this, these are difficult circumstances. I've gotten a lot of support and education from women on this board and encourage you to keep reading and posting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register