older with large fibroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

older with large fibroid older with large fibroid

Unread 01-18-2003, 06:30 AM
older with large fibroid

Hi! I'm new having just found this website.

I have a surgery date of Feb.7th. Total abdominal hysterectomy! I have a fibroid 9cmx6x4. Dr says that is large, but not according to some I've read here. My question is:

I'm 57 and fibroids are supposed to shrink after menopause. Why is mine getting larger. Of course, I'm totally scared about Cancer (dr. says she will look around while in there) and was wondering if anyone else my age has had this experience. I'm no longer taking hrt...havent for 2 years. No periods for over 10 years. No bleeding, just constant pressure on my bladder and some cramping. Any thoughts on this matter will be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2003, 07:22 AM
older with large fibroid

Hi there!

I just wanted to pop in and give you some s as you face your surgery.... you have some very good questions, and I'm wondering if you have considered getting a second opinion about the fibroid ---->hysterectomy, or if your DR has already tried to give it time to shrink? (shrinking has proven to be likely, but not always the case)

We're here for you! s,
Unread 01-18-2003, 07:22 AM
older with large fibroid

Hi!

Welcome to HysterSisters! I'm not sure by dimensions how large that is, most of the time (here anyway) the uterus is described by comparing it to a pregnancy; ex 12-14 weeks. Four years ago when my fibroids were first diagnosed my uterus was the size of a 6 week pregnancy, a year ago it was 16-18 weeks.

Yes, it seems that they feed on estrogen, and supposedly shrink after menopause, but, even after menopause the ovaries are still making hormones to a degree, maybe that's why it's still growing?

I'm sure someone else will be along who may be able to help answer your questions!

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2003, 07:25 AM
older with large fibroid

Hi, welcome to the best site on the web! I'm 54 and had a tah/bso last July for precancerous uterine tumors. My pathology came back benign and I'll pray for yours to be as good. I had been period free for 2 years before my hyst but did have to go on hrt ( bad sweats etc) . Everything has smoothed out pretty much now.
I'm sending you some links on fibroids, I hope they help.
http://www.nuff.org

http://thefibroidplace.com/

http://womenshealth.about.com/healt.../fibroidtumors/
Please come and post as often as you like, we'll be here for you.s
Unread 01-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Amazing Shrinking Fibroids!

I suffered for years trying to hang on till menopause when the fibroids are supposed to shrink. While waiting and suffering, I noticed a number of otherwise skinny older ladies look rather pregnant. So there are two issues:

1) will your fibroids shrink and
2) can you wait that long anyway.

Well, I couldn't last till menopause - too anemic, in too much pain, and starting to think about wearing multiple overnight pads during the day. I wish I'd had my surgery 10 years earlier - but it wasn't available then.

(As it turned out, my problem was not fibroids after all, but another problem supposedly resolved at menopause. My theory is the uterine scarring would have minimized possible shrinkage at menopause anyway.)
Unread 01-18-2003, 06:18 PM
older with large fibroid

hi Durham,

How dissapointing to be totally in menopause for years and have enlarging firbroids. I also believed, because the doctors have told me, that menopause shrinks or at least reduces the problems of the tumors as the estrogen decreases.

I'm 54 in Feb and I have 4 tumors the largest is 12.2x6.6x6.5cm. I have bladder pressure, flooding and all that goes with the tumors with no menopause in sight. But now that I know of your situation and recall some women in their 60's who like Evelyn said, "look pregnant", I'm concerned like you.

What does your doctor say about this? Have you seen a urologist just to check out the bladder? Is this new for you or have you had this fibroid for years and now it is growing?

I know your surgery is soon and you can't help but worry. I have no answers for you and will also read the links that jeanus provided. I'm sorry that you are going through this now and with all the extra concern. Hang in there and please keep in touch.
Unread 01-18-2003, 06:40 PM
older with large fibroid

Me again,

I've read the links suggested and cannot find any info on fibroids after menopause. I'm not sure where to try next but I will keep looking. Forgive my misprint earlier. Gave my uterus size 4 years ago. My 4 fibroids are between 2 and 4 cm each with a 5th 3.6 cm mass along for the ride.

Do you know the location of yours? Perhaps it is low in the uterus and pressing into the bladder. Hang in there.
Unread 01-19-2003, 05:22 AM
older with large fibroid

Thanks, ladies for all your input!

As far as seeing another doctor, this was the 3rd doctor I have seen and all recommended the same thing. My family doctor recommended "getting rid of all the worries" back in October when I had my physical. I then went to a man ob/gyn and he was brusk and no nonsense, but I really didn't feel comfortable with him. I asked my family doctor for another referral and she sent me to a wonderful lady ob/gyn who has "been there-done that" and I immediately felt more comfortable.

At the last exam she laid out the procedure including the "looking around" for cancer. I told her she was scaring me, and she said she just wanted me to be prepared.

I will be having my 3 grandkids for two weeks while mom and dad are on vacation, then a massive house cleaning the next day, and then surgery the next. When I come home, I will have 3 weeks of rest and then we leave for Mexico for a month. My husband thinks that will be a great place to recoup! I agree, all I do is lay around on a chaise for 4 weeks. No housework, no cooking!

Anyway, I would appreciate all the prayers and hugs I can get.

Thanks again, Durham

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register