dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:59 AM
dysplasia

I am new here and wondering if anyone else has been in my shoes. I am trying to educate myself so when I talk with my doctors that I am not in the dark. I am 32 years old and have never wanted to have children. Prior to having abnormal smears I was looking into having my tubes tied. Now that I have severe dysplasia I am wondering if I might be better off to have a hysterectomy rather than keep having coloscopy and LEEP. It seems to me from everything that I am reading that they opt for the LEEP as a way to preserve a woman's reproductive health. Since this is not important to me I am not sure that it is worth it to go through this emotionally. Also, (not that this is a deciding factor) I have terrible insurance and will not cover the repetitive diagnostic testing (colposcopy). Is there anyone that can relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 03:40 PM
dysplasia

Hi Ollie,
sorry to hear your having such a hard time....I just had a LEEP, Lap and Hysteroscopy done about 3 weeks ago.....I have Severe dysplasia w/precancerous cells.......ins said I didn't meet their medical criteria for a hysterectomy so they demaned I have the above procedures done which of course are less expensive than a hysterectomy....well, it turns out I have cervical cancer so they will have to pay for the hysterectomy anyway. Have you considered calling your state's insurance commissioner and filing a complaint? What has your dr said about these procedures not helping, does he feel you need a hysterectomy? Alot of the time it boils down to what the ins co wants you to have done and they can really be sticklers about things!!!! If the other procedures aren't working talk to your dr about what he feels you should do. sorry I couldn't be of much help but please keep me updated and take care
goofy
Unread 11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
dysplasia

Hi Olly....

I am having a TAH this Friday. I have had abnormal paps for two years, with the diagnosis as severe dysplasia. Until now, after having the colposcopy, the LEEP, paps every three months until I had two good ones in a row, then going a year without a pap..here it is back again. Now I am diagnosed with severe dysplasia with precancerous cells. I am nervous that the "severe" has been there all the time as the abnormal cells were in the same place as the first time two years ago. The GYN had trouble getting another biopsy due to scar tissue and almost didnt' get the one (several snips of tissue) that had the "severe" cells in it. I'm hoping this makes sense, I feel like I am rambling. Long story short, the next stage from "severe" is CANCER. Please get this checked out with your GYN or even a second opinion. I'm doing all the "what ifs??" if it IS cancer when they do the pathology on the cervix. Anyway, please don't let this go.....

Hugs..sweetpea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2004, 04:36 AM
dysplasia

Ollie,

I had Dysplasia at age 25. Class IV pap. Was in military, not married. Doc said wanted to do hyst. NOPE! I freaked. I started looking for someone to father a child...my bio clock began this LOUD, LOUD ticking. I didn't want to be married.
I had a freezing thing done, sorry don't remember the name...I am now 40. Then paps every 3 months til I got out of military.
Then I had a big change in my life (religious), changed my whole way of thinking and attitude towards life. Met an awesome man, we wanted 5 kids, got married, and 14 years of painful periods, no babies and doctors that said this was part of being a woman. I learned to deal with it.
We adopted 4 kids.
Back to doc...now my situation is worse...severe and precancer is the word my new and awesome doc used. Hyst or pills and biopsy every 6 months. My emotions are so much more stable now than 25. I had the hyst. My uterus was kinda like a appendix to me. Wasn't really using it, and all it did was hurt. The pathology report came back...top of the scale to precancer.
Now~no periods ever! Gosh I love the sound of that!
Unread 11-10-2004, 06:27 PM
dysplasia

I have CIN III dysplaysia - one short step form cancer. I found out when I was pregnant. I was not able to do the LEEP because I have an incompentent cervix (won't stay closed during pregnancy - causes miscarriage) so I needed a cerclage (stitches in the cervix) to keep it shut throughout my pregnancy. I am 33 and had already decided that I was having a tubal ligation after my baby was born - which I did. I would have preferred to do the Leep or some other cure. I did a cervical conization after my baby was born but I still had the bad cells after that. I think that a hysterectomy should be the last resort. Having all of your parts doesn't only preserve your reproductive health. It preserves hormones for health in general. Hysterectomy is also a major surgery. I think that you should do what your doctor suggests based on the level of your dysplaysia. Do some research on the internet on the different levels of cervical dysnorflesia as well so you have a better understanding of what it is. Good luck!
Unread 12-03-2004, 09:37 PM

Hello,
when I read your post it reminded me of when I first started having problems. I went to my post pardom check up after my son and that is when they found the abnormal cells at that time I went back every month for the punch biopsy's and they said that I had mild dysplasia and that if untreated it could turn to cancer at that time I was 19, I am now 27. They have done four surgerys on me since and after the last time which was in May 03 I had Laser and Leep at that time and I thought I was a tough cookies when it came to pain untill recovering from that. I don't mean to sound crude but I learned to pee in different positions after that one. But anyway after 9 years I am just now getting the hysterectomy. I think if I would have been older when I was first diagnosed with this they might have let me have the surgery back then. I am not sure if I helped at all but I know what you are going through I have delt with it for years and if you need anyone to talk to or ask questions I am here.
Thank you for listening to my rambling LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register