ovaries to keep or not to keep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries to keep or not to keep ovaries to keep or not to keep

Unread 10-25-2004, 02:23 PM
ovaries to keep or not to keep

I am 44, I will be having a hysterectomy in Dec. I have a very low
iron count and am having this oper. because of the low iron that is due to my fibroids, I lose alot of blood. First of all I need to bring up my red blood cell count before surgery so my doctor wants me to have two Lupron shots before to build up my supply.Has any one had any exper. with Lupron. Secondly, I have a family history of colon cancer and the ovary removal is totally up to me, if my doctor finds that they look fine she will leave them intact if I wish. One of my concerns is developing ovarian cancer which is undetectable many times before it is too late. My doctor suggested that if I had them removed that I go on an estrogen that is safe (I can't remember the name) it is a plant based estrogen. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this estrogen. I just don't know what to do. I have heard that estrogens can cause other problems. Can any one help me. Has any one had the ovaries removed and done no hormonal replacement? Thanks, Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2004, 02:31 PM

Ann,

I have the EXACT same issues as you. I am 45. I have NO family history because of being adopted and my doctor says based on my age she recommends I do have my ovaries removed but she will leave it up to me. I also am very confused. I have tried to read info on hormone replacement and I am even more confused. Oh how I wish there were some easy answers for us. Also my cousin who is a nurse suggested that it is easier to regulate hormone replacement when you DON'T have the ovaries to jump in and out adding their 2 cents now and then. I hope some kind person helps us answer our questions!
Unread 10-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Possible iron help.

Hello Tandembike, I'm scheduled for SAH next Monday Nov 1st and getting a little nervous. I'm 45 and have similar problems to deal with. My iron count is pretty good right now, but has been poor in the past. A local blood drive would not even take my blood because it was too low of count. Anyway I read up on it a bit and what has helped me alot is Black Strap Molassis. Get the organic, unsulphured kind, from a health food store, not the grocery store. It tastes so much better, that you will actually use it. I have a couple of teaspoons full every moring in hot whole grain type cereal, which is good iron food too. I think it has helped me alot. It seemed to me that when my blood was low with iron, it almost seemed thinner and I seemed to bleed more. Maybe just coincedence, but maybe it helped too. I felt better at least. Also, we all know this one. Lot's of dark green leafy vegtables....spinich, chard, remember PopEye!
I also considered the luprin shots, but after alot of reading, decided that it was not for me. So do alot of research and see if you thick it would work for you and your stiuation.
I did try the product Estroven, which is soy based, and it did help with a few things. I have pretty bad knees, and it seemed like at first that my joints worked better, like someone had lubed my knees. I also slept really well. But after about 6 weeks I had to back off because my breasts got sore, and my joints felt achey, even my hands. So I had to stop taking it.
Looks like you are a biker! I hope we are both out doing what we love soon Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2004, 03:42 PM

Tandem,

You're very young to go through surgical menopause. Is there any reason why you wouldn't take hormone replacement?

You mentioned colon cancer running in your family. Did you doctor suggest screening you for the two genetic markers for ovarian cancer? The incidence of ovarian cancer drops after age 45. When you have your hyster, your doctor can get a good look at your ovaries and can leave them if they look healthy.

Personally, I did not want to lose my ovaries. Heart disease and strokes run in my family. The hormone jungle scared the bejeebers out of me - some women do great by slapping a patch on and going about their lives, but there are plenty of others that struggle finding the right balance. I already have the right balance. Besides, ovaries provide lower levels of helpful hormones long after menopause that keep our skin in good shape, keep our bladders healthy and keep our bone density up.

The current recommendation is to ONLY remove the ovaries to prevent ovarian cancer in women who have a genetic link to it. There are other factors that can also reduce your ovarian cancer risk, which may put your mind at ease should you decide to keep them - things like hysterectomy (reduced your risk to 1 in 300), tubal ligation, birth control use, breast feeding and having babies.

Karla - did you talk to your doctor about getting any genetic screenings? I find it hard to believe that a doctor would recommend removing healthy ovaries in a woman who has already been diagnosed with hypertension. I know it's confusing, but we all owe it to ourselves to become advocates for our own bodies. No one else is going to be as motivated to keep us healthy as ourselves.

Take care.
Unread 10-25-2004, 04:28 PM

Tandembike, I can answer your question about lupron. I'm going to have a LSH in November and had a 3-month Lupron shot on Aug. 25. The first couple of days afterwards were kind of hard in that I had some monster hot flashes and night sweats and I was nauseaus the first day. But everyday it was less and less of a problem so much so that now I rarely have any hot flashes. Within 2 weeks, I could tell that my blood count was back up to where it should be as I was like my old self again-----lots of energy and feeling very cheerful. Before lupron, I was eating lots of iron foods----spinach, red meat, etc. but I just couldn't make those red blood cells fast enough to keep up with the loss. And best of all, my fibroids have shrunk.

As for the ovaries question, I'm 47 and my doctor basically said it was up to me whether to keep them or not. I don't have any ovarian cancer history in my family, so my vote is to keep them as that will help keep my bones and heart healthier. It seems to me that the best course is to try to only remove the body parts that are causing you trouble as the other parts are still doing their job just fine. That's why I looked so hard to find a surgeon that would let me keep my cervix.

Hope that this helps somewhat. Sometimes all that information is so confusing.

Barb
Unread 10-25-2004, 04:45 PM

I'm 40 and just had TAH-BSO and am not doing HRT - for now. My dr. wants me on something due to my age, but for the first time in 20 years, I'm migraine-free and I don't want to screw that up. Maybe I'm lucky, but so far I'm not experiencing any menopause symptoms at all. My dr. did say that I will need something for vaginal atrophy and that I'd know when I needed something. Eww. Now that freaks me out.

I did Lupron shots a few years back & my experience was not good - major sweats and hot flashes. Every 15 minutes. I walked around drenched all day. I was supposed to be on for 6 months. Made it for 3 and called it quits. I couldn't sleep, couldn't exercise, was embarrassed at work by all the sweat. I think my reaction was pretty severe though.

Also, re: family history of colon cancer, I do know that colon, ovarian, and breast are linked & that if you get diagnosed with one, the others are investigated too. My mom has ovarian and pancreatic cancer. My sister & I joined an early ovarian cancer detection program at a major university. The genetist told us that we do not have a family history just because my mom has ovarian cancer. He said 1 person does not a family history make - that aunts, grandmothers, etc would. So if one of my sisters or I get it, then my niece would be considered to have a history. I hope your family history isn't strong (better odds for you).

Mb
Unread 10-25-2004, 06:28 PM

Tandembike, I am in the same boat -- my surgery is in 2 weeks and still unsure. One day I lean to keeping them and then the next to having them removed. I did find out that having your ovaries removed doesn't guarantee that you won't get ovarian cancer. I have just heard of a lot of women who after a hysteretomy their ovaries either stopped functioning or developed cysts and they had to have another surgery.

A quick question, by your name I assume you ride a tandem. Where do you live? How long have you ridden? What kind of bike do you have? My husband and I have a Vision recumbent and we love it. I didn't get to ride a lot this year. I too am losing a lot of blood and have no energy.
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:10 PM

Whether to keep the ovaries is such a tough decision. We all have our own reasons to keep or not to keep them. My dr encouraged me to keep mine, even at age 51, menopause was no where in site.

For me, it was the right decision. But it's something you need to discuss with your dr to help you decide.

Best wishes to you all and your decisions.

Blessings and
Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register