Oh Man! Say it isn't so!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh Man!  Say it isn't so!!!!! Oh Man! Say it isn't so!!!!!

Unread 05-12-2001, 08:16 AM
Oh Man! Say it isn't so!!!!!

I was talking to one of my hubby's aunts yesterday who had an LAVH about 5years ago. She told me that she gained weight after her hyst. She had her ovaries removed and I assumed that it was because of that. She said no that her sister who had a TAH but kept her ovaries also gained weight.

Please, PLEASE say it isn't so! I'm a bit overweight to begin with, I don't want to be bigger!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2001, 08:39 AM

I didn't gain any weight, and in fact lost about 10 pounds, 4 of which has returned. I believe that if you eat normally you will be fine. I wasn't trying to lose, it just seemed to come off. I think the body expends extra calories when you are healing and that was the reason I lost without any effort. I am back to work now and everyone is always bringing in food, and I believe that's why I began to gain a little. Like you, I cannot affort to gain any because I already need to lose weight so that was a concern, but it turned out to not be a problem.

Good luck,
donna
Unread 05-12-2001, 08:42 AM
Hi!

I'm 4 weeks post-op and I've lost 19 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2001, 08:42 AM

Laura - I had tah/bso March 2000...so little over a year post and have had no weight gain. Had the normal swelly belly after surgery..but after I healed I noticed I'd actually LOST a little weight

It's important during recovery to eat nutritious foods and slow down on any foods that will add too many calories - since you're basically inactive.
Unread 05-12-2001, 09:42 AM
oh...it was those ice cream and chocolate sauce with peanuts every afternoon...

I had my TVH/BSO about 2 months ago and my weight has remained constant...even with the above indulgences (daily I am embarrassed to say ). Hoping for progress now that I am back at school... of course, since it is the end of the year, goodies keep appearing...give me strength!!
Unread 05-12-2001, 11:34 AM

It's not the aftereffects of the surgery but sometimes the hormone replacement therapy that causes the weight gain. However, readjustment of eating and exercise can counter balance it.
Hugs,
Miranda
Unread 05-13-2001, 08:34 PM

Laura, I had a TVH in December. I too, I'm afraid, cannot afford to gain any weight I was also afraid of weight gain after my hyst: a co-worker who had an hyst in 1998 has gained a lot of weight and she also kept her ovaries. However, I then found out that another co-worker, who also had an hyst in 1998, a TAH/BSO, has in fact LOST a lot of weight and never even had to deal with a swelly belly. I think it's another of those YMMV issues.

Even though I initially lost about 10 lbs, about 5 of them came back. The good part is that my tummy is, most of the time now, smaller than it was pre-op, with that huge fibroid, enlarged uterus and water retention problem.

Even though weight gain is usually attributed to HRT, I think that the shock to the ovaries can also cause peri-menopausal symptoms (I've been having occasional hot flashes and night sweats even though my ovaries ARE working). The peri-menopausal conditions, in turn, may bring on a shifting of our weight.

However, I am very pleased that the weight gain has been minimal. In fact, I still weigh a little less than I did pre-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register