LSH Going back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work Going back to work

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Going back to work

So I am day 5 post op and feeling better still crampy at times but over all not too bad.

I want to start back at work tomorrow and this is causing a big fight between my husband and I. I was not going to go back full time I was only going to go in for a bit in the morning and go home and rest for a bit in the afternoon and try going back in the evening. I have a very easy job where all I do is sit at a desk. I can even go have a nap on a couch or something if I need to. I won't have to drive to or from work as I can have the guys from work drive me. Everyone I work with is really good so I really won't have to do anything except answer the phone.

I would love some advice from other sisters that have went back to work early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Re: Going back to work

You are really early in your healing. I would not go back to work yet. I would take it easy. Even if you are feeling great you have a lot of inside healing that needs to happen. It is just my opinion but I was not even riding in a car at the point you are at. Did your doctor give you a 6 week restriction? I would take as much time as you can because you only have one chance to heal correctly. You do not want to over do it & create adhesions or scar tissue. Just my opinion. Best wishes to you & I am so glad you are doing so well.
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Hi helpmeplz!!!

Why would you want to go back to work so soon?????

There is so much healing going on and one day feeling pretty good and the next totally wiped out. I didn't want to even answer my home phone for a few weeks.

Medical EI is available if you don't have a short term disability plan at your work.

How does your Dr feel about you wanting to go back?? Is he or she willing to give you the OK to go back???

My best advice would be to take it easy for as long as you can.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM

Dear helpmeplz,

As much as you probably hate to hear this, I have to say your husband is 100% right. This is the time for you to be pampered and just let your body heal itself, especially on the inside.
This is not the time to play Superwoman.
If I don't show up with a "released to work" form filled out by my doctor, my boss said he would send me right back home. I totally understand that and actually agree with it.

Wishing you success with your recovery.
Unread 10-31-2010, 12:08 PM

I had LSH and went "back to work" after two weeks. My work is mainly from home over the computer and phone. I found that just sitting in the same position caused discomfort after awhile. I had to get up and move all the time. My clothes still did not fit either. By 3 pm I was wiped out and needed a 1-2 hour nap so that I could even get up and make it through dinner. I think we tend to underestimate how much working takes out of us. Also, when you appear to look normal again, people tend to think you are fully recovered. Please take the time to rest, rest, rest. You are still healing inside and you only get one chance to recover.
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeplz View Post
So I am day 5 post op and feeling better still crampy at times but over all not too bad.
I want to start back at work tomorrow and this is causing a big fight between my husband and I.
You're OUT OF YOUR MIND.

(I say that with love...)

Unread 10-31-2010, 01:23 PM

there are some women who have gone back to work soon but most got the ok from their doctor. have you had a post op appointment yet? if not, i wouldnt recommend you returning without your doctor's clearance.
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:28 PM

I was only told to go see in in 6 weeks the day I left the hospital. The reason I want to go back to work is cause I am board out of my mind lol

I was only going to do a couple hours here and there depending on how my body felt.
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:30 PM

I had a TAH and was back to working a few hours a day by the start of week two. But I work from home and mainly on the computer/phone. I will say that I got very, very sore after sitting at my desk for the first few days. And I was definitely exhausted. I don't think I could have done it except for the fact that I was free to lay down when necessary and step away from the office as needed. To put in a straight 4 hours wouldn't have worked. At 3.5 weeks post-op, I'm back up to my normal 8-10 days now, but still tire very easily.

My doctor was absolutely fine with it as long as I didn't push myself and made sure to rest when necessary. I didn't have to start back that soon, but I really wanted to. I personally think it has helped me recover faster -- boredom is my true enemy! Plus, since I own the company, I was stressing myself worrying about everything I was sure was going wrong (nothing was, but don't try to tell my ego that!).

If your doctor is okay with it, and you're able to get back home if it becomes too much, and you're listening to your body, I say go for it! It might be a good idea to find out if you could do a "trial run" for a few days so that, in the event it is too much, you can go back to full-time recuperation. If you can't do that, then I would definitely wait at least another week or two. That way, you're not risking your recovery.

Again, everyone is different. My experiences are my own. I'm simply sharing them for another perspective.
Unread 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi,

I also had a LSH (kept ovaries and cervix) and was told I could return to work 5 days after the procedure. By day 4 I was already driving a car. However, as much as my doc said I was fine to do those things and I felt good, I was tired often and did take naps with my kids ( I was suffering a cold also). If you really feel up to it, then I would think it might do you good to get your mind going a few hours per week, maybe not all week. BUT...I agree with the others that this is your excuse to lay low and enjoy the down time. By day 8 I was up to normal speed. I am now at day 15 and I really miss my down time. If you are bored, like me, try taking a walk and get some fresh air. Just go at your own pace and make sure you don't "over do it"...whatever that means. I am still trying to figure that out.

Good luck! Glad to hear you are feeling great.
_______
LSH 10/10
Laparoscopy - Endometriosis '97/'04
Hysteroscopy '06

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register