Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy: To keep cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: To keep cervix or not? Upcoming hysterectomy: To keep cervix or not?

Unread 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: To keep cervix or not?

im concerned about vaginal cuff tearing. My partner is large and I am reading stories of it shortening and tearing. Anyone have experience in either way, keeping cervix or not. Currently the plan is to remove it. I have an appointment w my doc next week to discuss. Surgery scheduled for January 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Re: To keep cervix or not?

If you have a vaginal hysterectomy (robotic or lap assisted) they will remove the cervix. The only way to keep it is have an abdominal.

I can't answer as far as sex since my husband has ED, but I did have a tampon from long ago I tried. Use to be I could push up enough to feel the cervix and I can't now or do not seem to be able to it anything.
Unread 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: To keep cervix or not?

The vagina adapts quite well. Theres are article on it somewhere on here, maybe a mod can put it up for you. I understand its really not an issue for most and the body adapts quite well. Just go easy once released until your comfy. Unless of course you have any underlying conditions. The cervix actually takes up a little space in the vagina, most Drs agree that once its out theres really not an issue, is my understanding. Its actually more comfy for me having that cervix out, but mine was painful and full of cysts and painful adeno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia chick View Post
im concerned about vaginal cuff tearing. My partner is large and I am reading stories of it shortening and tearing. Anyone have experience in either way, keeping cervix or not. Currently the plan is to remove it. I have an appointment w my doc next week to discuss. Surgery scheduled for January 7
I had my uterus, tubes, and cervix taken. My husband is quiet well endowed himself. We've been intimate beginning on week 3 after my surgery and to date, we've not experienced any problems. And we have a pretty active sex life (at least once daily). I've had no pain, bleeding, or tearing after sex. Everything has been very comfortable and enjoyable for us. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck!
Unread 11-30-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn.Jones View Post
I had my uterus, tubes, and cervix taken. My husband is quiet well endowed himself. We've been intimate beginning on week 3 after my surgery and to date, we've not experienced any problems. And we have a pretty active sex life (at least once daily). I've had no pain, bleeding, or tearing after sex. Everything has been very comfortable and enjoyable for us. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck!
That's very comforting to hear. We have a similar activity level and I was concerned that the cuff would tear. This makes me relax a bit. Thank you
Unread 11-30-2014, 09:13 PM

A lot of us fear that something will go wrong with the cuff, but retaining the cervix does not mean you will be completely safe either. This surgery comes with its risks either way. I no longer have a cervix as it was riddled with endometriosis, and I say -- Good riddance. Sex is much better for me without it. That said some women do worry about shortening of the vagina but the amount is minimal, if at all. See Is My Vagina Shorter After Hysterectomy?. My vagina easily stretched to accommodate my partner. I had no pain which was a plus and he couldn't feel any difference. I cannot say he was exceptionally endowed, but he was at least average. As for activity level, we took it slower at first and worked back to where we were before having sex became too painful for me. You have to remember, it's just like working out. If you take time off, you have to work back to where you were over time. If you overdo it, of course you are going to be sore, and that is likely true whether or not you keep your cervix.

There have been some techniques developed, but are not yet widespread, where the surgeon cuts into the back of the vagina allowing of retention of the cervix while allowing a vaginal delivery of the uterus. We have a few members who have had this procedure. Generally those who retain their uterus are able to resume sexual activities sooner, but that is not a guarantee. I have had no difficulties at all with my vaginal cuff, even with vigorous intercourse. Most of the cases where the vaginal cuff does not hold are the result of women not waiting to be cleared for intercourse by their doctors or just going too fast. However, do be aware that we have had members who have followed their doctor's orders to a T, and still had had the cuff fail. That is rare but it has happened. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, but be aware that vaginal shortening is rare as is cuff dehiscense.
Unread 11-30-2014, 10:01 PM

I had uterus, cervix and tubes removed. Couldn't decide whether or not to keep cervix. Doctor explained that my condition meant that keeping it came with risks, and there was the potential I would have some bleeding each month from the small part of endometrial lining left in the top part of the cervix? My Mum had a radical hysterectomy five years ago and she insists that apart from having to be a bit gentle at first, everything feels the same (rather awkward conversation to have with your mother!!!). I let that guide my final decision.
Unread 12-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia chick View Post
That's very comforting to hear. We have a similar activity level and I was concerned that the cuff would tear. This makes me relax a bit. Thank you
You're very welcome. I was terrified to have sex the first few times, but the hormones over took me and I finally broke down and called my doctor!! LOL I used to occasionally have pain during sex BEFORE the surgery but since I've had it, none at all. But you can always call your doctor's office if you're REALLY concerned....you should hear the things I've said to the receptionist at my doctor's office!! LOL
Unread 12-01-2014, 05:54 PM

I kept my cervix and had the procedure robotically assisted laparoscopically. He cut it up inside a bag in my abdomen and pulled the pieces out my umbilical incision.

There are options, even though this approach is not common. I was utterly thrilled with my surgery and my recovery and outcome.

You doc will tell you what options you have.
Unread 12-02-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrl View Post
I kept my cervix and had the procedure robotically assisted laparoscopically. He cut it up inside a bag in my abdomen and pulled the pieces out my umbilical incision.

There are options, even though this approach is not common. I was utterly thrilled with my surgery and my recovery and outcome.

You doc will tell you what options you have.
I have decided that when I meet with dr on Friday I will insist on keeping cervix. They can take it out later if need be. I'm 43 and just now enjoying my sex life with new SO after divorce 7years ago. This is a major important part of my life. I don't want a cuff tearing and I have tons of sensation from cervix. I'm already going to lose the uterine contractions O. I don't want to lose that too. I know it makes more sense to take cervix but this affects the next 10+ years of my life. If I only had clitoral O I would be fine. That is not the case. I'm losing and risking so much already. I can't vomit to that too. I feel petty and silly but I can't help it. All those nerve endings lost and fear of vaginal cuff tearing... My SO is big. Fear of year would interfere w enjoyment. I hope my doc will be able to accommodate my decision. If 10 years from now cervix must come out the bill deal with it then. It feels great to have made a decision. Thank you soooooo much everyone who has weighed in and shared your stories. I felt resigned but ok if they had to take it thanks to you all and empowered to make my own choice and do what makes me feel ok. So much love goes out to you all. So glad I found this forum. ))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register