Fear not, LIWs! Staples don't hurt! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear not, LIWs! Staples don't hurt! Fear not, LIWs! Staples don't hurt!

Unread 05-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Fear not, LIWs! Staples don't hurt!

I remember before i had my surgery (TAH/BSO on 5/09/03) i read stories of staples and shuddered. How could such a metallic "thing" be put in my skin and taken out later withOUT hurting???
Well, i'm here to tell you that there was NO pain from those little metal devils either going in or coming out.

Matter of fact, for me, there was never any pain with them at all. I know each doctor differs in how long the staples stay in. Half of mine were taken out the day i left the castle (may 11) by a very sweet nurse who placed steri strips where she took out staples. The remaining ones were taken out on may 13 at my doctor's office and again, replaced with steri strips.
Steri strips.....BOY, they stick!!!
I was to remove them in 6 days but found it harder to peel them off than i thought. It didn't hurt but they did seem to want to take some of my hair with them.
Anyway, don't fear the staples, lovely ladies, they're not nearly as bad as you would think! Be patient and good luck, all of us princesses, both old and new, look forward to seeing you on the healing side!
love,
becki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2003, 01:10 PM

I'm very pleased to hear it! When I hear about "stapling" all I can picture is equipment from Home Depot!
Unread 05-26-2003, 01:23 PM

Thank you for your post - this is one thing I am pretty freaked out about....I'm afraid of ripping them if I turn over to hard in my sleep, it is not easy to do that is it? I'm afraid they will be so tight it will be hard to stand up straight ugh....please excuse my nervousness. I'm glad they seem to take them out pretty quick though! Thanks for reassuring all of us anxious LIW...Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2003, 01:35 PM
I couldn't agree more!

I too was nervous about the staple removal---it was indeed a piece of cake! The nurse who removed them was a pro.

They didn't bother me AT ALL while they were still in, either (of course, they're not pretty to look at, but I just didn't look! ha ha)...the incision site is pretty numb so you won't feel a thing! (As a matter of fact, at 5 1/2 weeks post, I'm still pretty numb there, which is just fine with me!)
Unread 05-26-2003, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear they didn't bother you at all. I sure hope I have that much luck if they use staples on me to. Take care recovering and rest rest rest.
Unread 05-26-2003, 02:53 PM

You ladies are so sweet. When i was waiting (and i dind't have a long time to wait once i made up my mind, i went to the surgeon and scheduled my hyster for 3 weeks later) everyone was so supportive and kind to me here. I was scared. Silly for a 47 year old, tall, blonde, frizzy haired woman to admit she was scared, i suppose, but i sure was.
Now that i've done it, i wish i could go and hold hands with each and every one of you who are waiting for your surgeries. Not only that, i wish i could get you all in one place so i could keep a watchful eye on you and help out during your recovery. (UGH< it's the MOM in me, both my sons moved out last year and i've got EMPTY NEST really bad!!).
Anyway, just know that there are lots of positive thoughts and prayers that come from this site for you. And..if you haven't sent a private message to someone who's having surgery on "YOUR" day too, then do it! I loved knowing i had some buddies from here who were right alongside me when i visited the castle!
love,
becki
Unread 05-26-2003, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the good wisdom and words of advice. It really helped alot. Keep resting and drinking. I will be thinking of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register