Question for those who hemorrhaged post-op... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those who hemorrhaged post-op... Question for those who hemorrhaged post-op...

Unread 03-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Question for those who hemorrhaged post-op...

Were you ever tested for Von Willebrands Disease? It is a bleeding disorder that my dr. is testing me for since I hemorrhaged post-op. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 04:44 PM

I hemorrhaged 12 days post-op. Would this still apply?

Thanks!

Margot
Unread 03-22-2006, 04:49 PM

is a hematoma considered a hemmorage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smargie
I hemorrhaged 12 days post-op. Would this still apply?

Thanks!

Margot
I'm so sorry to hear you went through that. I know it is very scary. My heart goes out to you.
I hemorrhaged 4 times post op. The first was at 13 days post-op & the last was at 20 days post-op.
Unread 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM

Hi. I have Von Willebrands and did not bleed after my SAH. The bleeding disorder was however the reason for my hyst. I had extremely heavy periods and bleeding in between cycles. I received DDAVP 1/2 hr prior to my surgery and did not have any major problems w/bleeding after my procedure. The DDAVP is short lived so I am glad I did not experience any problems postop. Good luck and private message me if you like.
Lisa
Unread 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM

Yikes Jere4k!

I remember feeling so afraid that it would happen again, but in my case it didn't. I can't imagine it happening 4 times so close together.

How are you doing now?

When will you find out if you have this bleeding disorder? No one ever really gave me an explanation for why it happened to me, except that I'd "overdone it." But, my doc said that he'd never had it happen to one of his patients, and he'd never seen it happen that far out to anyone.

Let us know what you find out.

Margot
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Please check out the hemophilia foundation website, it has some wonderful info for you. von Willebrands' is a bleeding disorder that is similiar to hemophilia but it affects men and women, and is not always genetic, my son has it and it does not run in my family. If you do have this it must be a mild case, due to you not having any major bleeds before. This is not a major problem for my son, very manageable. Like the earlier post, DDAVP, a synthetic drug, is available for pre treatment should you need surgery in the future. This will prevent any problems. You should investigate this and that will make you feel much better. Alot of folks go through life and never know they have this disorder. The platelets do not have enough of the von Willebrand's factor in the blood to stick together to form the clot necessary for healing a cut or wound. If you are tested, you should go to a major hospital that has a hemotology center. Email me if you want more info, good luck to you. When I first found out my son had this I was devastated, but after research I realized it wasn't so bad and he is almost 20 now, and never had a major bleed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register