Ovaries out at 34???Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries out at 34???Help! Ovaries out at 34???Help!

Unread 10-16-2001, 10:55 PM
Ovaries out at 34???Help!

I am 34 years old
Completed my family 5 years ago 3 kids ages 14, 8 & 5
Schedualed on Nov. 14th for LAVH
Due to possible Adenomyosis(periods every 22 days very heavy & painful uterine spasms during other days of the month)

I have to decide on taking ovaries out or leaving them???

I have searched and read over soooo many of the earlier replies alot seem to encourage leaving them at my age...but

I have had severe PMS for many years(moods, bad back ache, leg pains, acne, sore breasts)
I experience painful ovulations
I have tried many BC pills to help balance the hormones out
I have experienced cysts on them as well as the pain of rupture

So I say take them out..but

The Dr. feels they should stay or I would need HRT..but because my mother had breast cancer estrogen positive at age 44 I would then be a higher risk
Also I never did well on BC pills...sensitive to the side effects

So I think could I change my diet enough and supplement to help with the heart disease and bone loss issues????Find other ways to help with the female needs...

I just don't know what is right for me...it's not just the uterus that gives me pain and interfears with my daily life.....

I look forward to any help so I can make the right decision for me
based on how my body has reacted and what it might be like when it is all over and done with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2001, 01:36 AM

Hello , I just want to give you my opinion on keeping the ovaries. You are very young, that is a thing to be considered.

I had my hyster just over a year ago and I kept my ovaries, about 5 weeks or so after the op , they started working again , perfectly . Then , I had to have pelvic radiation to treat a cancer and this 'killed' my ovaries and I was put into instant menopause ( the same as surgical menopause ). I was so against taking any form of HRT but after a week of night sweats and severe mood swings , I started on estradiol. This works for me.
What I am trying to say is that if there is any chance of keeping your ovaries , keep them !!! There is nothing like your own estrogen. Of course if there is any chance of cancer ,then that is another matter . You must discuss this with your DR the pros and cons , read alot , ask us questions and THEN make an informed decision. Why not visit the HORMONE JUNGLE here on the hystersister site, you will find lots of advice there. Best of luck with your decision x x
Unread 10-17-2001, 07:17 AM

Hi there !

I am 40 years old and had a TAH on 9/17. My Dr. recommended that I leave my ovaries. His reasoning was a history of breast cancer on my mothers side. He would prefer I not do HRT at my age. He did say that if they looked "bad" when he did the TAH, he would remove them. But, they looked o.k., so I still have them !!

Good luck on your decision !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2001, 08:37 AM

Robyn & Lori,
thank you for sharing your stories. It sounds as though you both have made the best decisions for yourselves. Robyn I am so sorry you have had to deal with all of your cancer and treatment pain, I could not even begin to compare what you must has gone thru and even now for you.
I send warmest wishes to the both of you for good health.

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register