Just got the news today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got the news today Just got the news today

Unread 01-31-2003, 06:48 PM
Just got the news today

I went for my annual visit and my GYN told me that my fibroid has become so large that he is concerned. He told me that my only two choices are partial or complete hysterectomy. I am more concerned about the possiblity of cancer. He has scheduled me for an abdominal CAT scan and a thyroid test. I am curious about why he didn't just go for a sonogram instead of a CAT. I want to just run away and never go to see him again. He said there is only a small chance of cancer but the rate of growth in 1.2 years made him uneasy. I am afraid. I came home and found this board. I will probably cry my eyes out tonight but I need some support. Not just the people in my life saying "don't worry" I do worry. I will worry until I get the all clear for cancer. Does it make sense to set up a CAT rather than a sonogram? Please pray for me and my family.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Just got the news today

Hi JGolde1

Welcome to Hystersisters. We're very happy that you've joined this wonderful group.

It can be so overwhelming when you first find out surgery is necessary so please take advantage of what this website has to offer. Check out the pre-op pull down menu (top right of screen next to the "go" button) for helpful hints and also take a look at the pre-op resources forum (located on the main forum page.) Ask questions, research your options, talk to other women. Knowledge is power.

I was also a fibroid sufferer (two times) and had a fast growing one. In the span of about six months it grew 4cm. Thankfully it wasn't cancerous and odds are that yours won't be as well.

If you are not comfortable with this doctor and what he wants to do would you consider seeing someone else for a second opinion? Or you may want to call this doctor and ask him why he'd rather do a CAT than a sonogram.

Best of luck. Always know that your "sisters" are here for you.

Unread 01-31-2003, 08:49 PM
My Prayers are with you!

Hi Jgolde1,
I am new here too, but I have already had a very warm welcome and found tons of information.
My prayers and thoughts are with you! Keep the faith and ask lots of questions! I am still in the waiting game myself. I go Feb. 7th.
Take care and looking forward to hearing from you!
Sherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Just got the news today

Hi Jgolde1-
Welcome. I hope you take comfort in knowing that there is tons of support here. 2 weeks ago I was told I had a 50/50 chance of ovca. After some test results, my dr wanted me to have a TAH/BSO immediately.

I can totally relate to that running away business. You will worry and that's o.k.

A couple of times I just starting screaming as loud as I could. When that didn't help (my throat became hoarse) I took a long hot bath.

Peace

PS. This board has been great for me and knowledge is power. the more I learn, the better I feel.
Unread 01-31-2003, 09:13 PM
Just got the news today

Hi,

Yes, I agree, of course you are scared. I doubt there's anybody here who hasn't been scared about their surgery and/or the reasons for it at some time. I'm wondering if your doctor might get more information from a CAT scan than a sonogram and that's why he chose this method of investigation. As you will find, there are many women who experience fast growth of fibroids that are not malignant, so hopefully that will calm you some.

Keep us posted as to what happens and when.

Joselle
TAH/BSO 2001
Unread 02-01-2003, 05:10 AM
Just got the news today

Good Morning JGOLDE1, This is the best place on earth to get support and information. I also had fibroid tumors for years but wasn't ready for surgery. I asked my doctor about them turning to cancer and he stated that I had more of a chance of walking out of his office and getting run over by a truck than a fibroid turning to cancer. I hope this gives you some peace of mind. You have that scan and do what the doctor advises you to do. Don't wait for years like I did, living with pain and horrible periods, and then after the hysterectomy was done I felt so good physically I am mad at myself for not having it done years and years ago.
Good luck! and many
Unread 02-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Thank you all

Hello,
I was/am so upset I didn't even say hello yesterday
Your posts made me feel better. I'm glad I found a place where I can not only get some information but also get support from people on both sides pre and post op. I prayed and cried all night.

I have not had any symptoms. My period is now and has always been 3 days. I have never experienced cramps. I only bleed heavily on the first day. I don't even go through a whole box of tampons. My period does jump around a bit but I have never missed a month without a reason.

I felt the fibroid a few months ago but by the time I got an appointment I forgot about it until I was on the table and the doctor felt it. Then we had a brief talk (he was called to labor & delivery) but not enough time for me to take in what he said and think of questions to ask. Now I can't forget about it I keep touching it and it feels like it is growing by the minute.

Thanks again for the responses and the warm welcome.
Unread 02-02-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm nervous

I have my CAT scan appointment on Wednesday afternoon. I am praying that they don't find anything that requires surgery. I pray that they don't find cancer. I am so scared. I don't know what to do.
Unread 02-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Just got the news today

JGolde, please let us know how it goes on Wednesday. I'll send lots of good thoughts your way!

Unread 02-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Well, you could relax ;)

Hi again

Most of us are nervous when we're facing the unknown. I know I am!! The best advice I can give is to take it one step at a time, be glad that there is technology and treatment that can 'fix' just about anything they find, and know that you are in control because you make the decisions. You are just getting information now and you will get all the information you can and then you will make a wise decision.

Joselle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register