LSH Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:00 PM
LSH Question

Sorry this is the second question tonight! Ok I was wondering if the pillow thing is going to effect me also what other problems will I have. Sitting, standing, eating. I am just not sure what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2006, 06:39 AM
LSH Question

I found immediately after surgery (the first 24-48 hrs.) I couldn't lie down flat. It was because with the laporoscopic way they do it they fill your abdomen with air or gas or something to blow everything up so they can see what they are doing. It tends to settle in about at your collarbone. So, deep breathing really hurt for a while and laying flat- I couldn't breathe! So, I had to sleep propped sitting up for a night or two. Other than that I was just so sore afterwards. My stomach muscles just ached. So, I'm not sure what you mean about the pillow thing, but hope that helps as far as laying down. Other than the first couple nights I didn't have a problem laying down. Sitting was ok too as long as I was leaning back against something so my stomach muscles didn't have to work. Getting up and down was the hardest. Getting out of bed took some help for a while. But, eventually you figure out how to do it without hurting yourself. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
LSH Question

Monami,

The best advice I can give you is to practice getting in and out of bed without using your stomach. Someone gave me that advice and I said "um, been doing it for quite a while, I'm sure I can get out of bed" Needless to say, that first time post op I had NO CLUE what to do and the nurse had to talk me through it. She left while I was in the bathroom and DH had to try and talk me through laying back down the best he could remember from having his appendix out. It was pretty funny but 1. you don't want to laugh and 2. you really don't want to screw it up!

The first few days I didn't sit up a whole lot, but I was able to lie down flat on my back to sleep, which is how I spent the first few days anyway. I did sleep on my couch so DH didn't bump into me or move me. Our couch is very soft and squishy, so I was probably less flat than I think I was since the first few times I did try to sleep in our bed I couldn't because I was too flat and it felt like my insides were being pulled. A pillow under my knees helped with that once I did get back into our bed (third night, maybe fourth I think)

Sitting was fine too, as long as I was in a chair with a back.

Ask away, those of us on the other side are here to answer and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM
LSH Question

Hi Monami7,

I also had a LSH.

My advise is to get a chair and put it by your side of the bed. I used the edge of the chair to get in and out of bed by myself the first few days. It really helped!!!

Also, wear really *loose* clothes in post-op. I found drawstring pants really useful. And really roomy tops. And also use slip on slippers and shoes if you can for the first few days. I found tying tennis shoes a little hard.

On eating...just try to eat healthy and drink lots of water to prevent a UTI. I also did some light walking when I was ready. Really helped with my digestion and circulation.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 11-15-2006, 11:50 AM
LSH Question

Thank you all so much. Wondering...how long were you at the hospital after surgery and did you bring anything with you?
Unread 11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
LSH Question

I was at the hospital until about 3:30pm (surgery was at 8am). Sounds like some women go home sooner, but I was dizzy from the anesthesia and didn't want to go yet. At 3:30pm I really wanted my own bed so just went as quick as I could so I didn't have to be upright too long. Had my DH help me get dressed lying down and then took a quick wheelchair ride to the car and reclined in the car the whole way home (only about 20-25 min. drive). Then, straight to bed. My own wonderful bed!!! And we didn't really bring anything much to the hospital. Just a magazine for my husband while he waited.
Unread 11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
LSH Question

I spent two nights at the hosp for a vertical incision hyst. I did take a bag with my CD player and my favorite CD's, my Bible, tooth brush and paste, and hair brush. Hubby kept it in the car and then brought it to my room after the op. Don't know what your beliefs are...but I read a study that said listening to praise music can help greatly to manage your pain. It worked for me!!!
Unread 11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
LSH Question

I spent 23 hours at the hospital. I could have gone home that afternoon (8 a.m. surgery), but doc said since I had a bed my insurance was paying for I was welcome to sleep in it and see what happened as pain meds wore off and the pain started (which, thankfully, it never really did). I felt the same when I left the next morning as I did three hours post-op, but was glad I stayed just in case.

I brought a ton of stuff with me and only ended up using my pillow, toothbrush, chap stick, my "Princess" eye mask, and the clothes I left and came in.
Unread 11-16-2006, 10:29 AM
LSH Question

Hi Monami,

I had my LSH at 7:30 AM and I went home at 6 PM. Had the option to spend the night and decided to go home with my Dr's okay.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 11-16-2006, 12:22 PM
LSH Question

I had my LSH at 7:30a and went home the following night at 7:30p. This was my 5th surgery lap, and the first that I didn't have the gas problems with. My surgery(s) lasted over 7 hours, so I know that I had a lot of gas during that time. I asked my surgeon about it, and he told me that he had tried his best to push all of the gas out before he closed me up. I'm telling you - it worked! I would have been discharged the next morning, but had to stay the 36 hours because of the bladder surgery, they had to verify that I was emptying my bladder completely before sending me home. I was able to get up out of bed by myself the following morning with minimal discomfort. I guess all the previous surgeries were practice for this one!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register