when do we wear the swelly belly and binder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when do we wear the swelly belly and binder when do we wear the swelly belly and binder

Unread 10-07-2009, 07:18 AM
when do we wear the swelly belly and binder

I have no idea why I cant figure this out but I bought the tummy care package and cant figure out when its okay to use either. I am bringing them to the castle along with plastic wrap. Will I use either that early???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Re: when do we wear the swelly belly and binder

Hi.

I wore my swelly belly band from the time I was able to start walking around in the hospital until about 10 days post op. I never went anywhere without it. It was also handy for holding my heating pad in place when I was in bed.

I do believe, however, that the better thing is the granny panties. I am now almost three weeks post op and still use the granny panties.

Because I am having to do more for myself, I finally broke out the abdominal binder today, but between about days 10 and today, I was relying solely on the granny panties.

One drawback to the abdominal binder, it doesn't seem to want to stay down around my incision. It keeps riding up my belly, and certainly doesn't do me any good riding around my rib cage. It is VERY difficult to pull tight by yourself. You really need a third hand to make it tight enough. Another piece of velcro or a safety pin or something on the other end might help. I'll have to fool around with it later.

Your mileage may vary and other sisters may do it differently. I would suggest that you do what feels comfortable to you.
Unread 10-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Hi there,

I found it most helpful to wear the abdominal binder when I was at my friend's wedding reception (up and about quite a bit, only a 9 days after surgery) and when I started driving again. I had bought a 12 inch binder that, as Tigergem mentioned, rode up on my rib cage and let my belly sag out at the bottom. Then I bought the combo package that you bought, with only a 6 inch binder... and that worked wonders.

Why while driving? It keeps the belly from bouncing on rough roads.

Quite frankly, I've found heat provides me more comfort than cold/ice, so I haven't used the swelly belly band yet... I'm eight weeks post-op tomorrow, and there may still come a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM

I got a 12" belly binder at the hospital. A nurse said that it's really too big for me but I can cut it down insize if needed. I finally did that and it is much more comfortable.
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM

I was given a cancellation so I had no time to plan or order anything. I decided to get the hyster on a Tues. and the next Monday they called saying I could step into surgery that Wed.

An RN at the hospital gave me an elastic binder - about 8" when she saw me clutching a pillow from home to my belly. I put it on over the bandages and only have taken it off to have incision checks. It's is immensely relieving to that that support and not jiggling of incisions.

I do pull it down from time to time, but my incisions are higher (daVinci, so around belly button), so it's pretty helpful in general.

I had relief from holding my belly still and pressure with my periods pre-hysterectomy, so this was a huge blessing.

Take it with you. Worst thing is you don't need it and bring it back home.

Also I am wearing my normal undies - no grannies needed here.
Unread 11-06-2009, 04:23 PM

I just got my swelly belly package and was wondering the same thing: do you wear the swelly belly first and then the binder later on after recovering a bit?
The swelly belly thing looks thin but, it says it expands in water.
Anyone have advice about this that has purchased the swelly belly package?
This is confusing, I agree! Lol.
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM

It does expand yes. I wore it in the hospital and wrapped it in the plastic wrap. It helped alot. The binder was really nice when I started to go for walks around the neighbourhood. It really made my incision and everything else feel better.
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Im having LSH... what type of belly binder/panty do I need? Not sure if control panties are enough, or if I need to get a full belly binder... it is all very confusing...
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm having a TLH on 11/19 - would I need the swelly belly package with the laproscopic incisions and would I get it in time if I ordered it now?
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM

Hi Michelle,
I got mine in 2 days time. Ordered it on the 3rd of Nov and received it on the 5th of Nov. I got the swelly belly band package and I paid 10.95 for shipping: dunno what shipping option that was.
I ordered it just in case and figured that support is always nice after an abdominal surgery. I am having a TLH on Nov. 13th.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register