Only eight days to go - I'm flipping out!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Only eight days to go - I'm flipping out!!!! Only eight days to go - I'm flipping out!!!!

Unread 03-12-2002, 02:36 PM
Surgery the 20th for me too!--I also have a ?

I am also getting nervous. My surgery will be March the 20th too. I have had some scary thoughts run through my head, I think it's very normal to do that.
In my case, I went to the Dr and he gave me no other alternative but TAH in a matter of days. I have had a lot of trouble and will be glad when it's about 3 weeks from now, even better 6 weeks. All of this will just be a memory, and we'll be feeling much better.
I see we have several sisters having surgery on the same day. Goodluck to all and God bless you.
--------------------------------------------------
When I went to the Dr. he had viewed my past uterine measurements and after checking me he said my uterus was 3 x larger than normal. He said we had no other alternative except hysterectomy and that he would try to save my ovaries. I know what the measurements were before but I didn't get them this time. So it must be quite larger and he seemed very insistent upon doing the surgery very soon. I mean, he made my surgery date 13 days later and tried to get me in 5 days later. He has asked me to come in the day before surgery so he can go over some things with me. That was one reason I kinda' freaked, still a little scared about what they may find. My periods are very painful and very heavy with lots of clotting, painful intercourse, cramping, backache, and this may sound odd, but when I cough I have to hold my right side. If I don't I have excruciating pain. Usually when I have my period I become constipated and that just adds to the cramping. Has anyone else had these symptoms with an enlarged uterus? Blessings to all,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Hey there's a bunch of us!

Hey guys, I'm stressing with the rest of you, I'm on the 20th also!
I can't believe the amount of time I spend reading these posts! But you know what? I think this site has kept me somewhat sane!

I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this site and all you wonderful women to share this journey with. Every time I start getting those.....I'm not coming home thoughts I start reading all the great post-op posts of how the "waiting" is the tough part. Not that I think it's going to be a walk in the park.....but the thought of "NO MORE PERIODS" and brand new underwear are beginning to out weigh the "BAD" thoughts, well for right this minute anyway! LOL )

Just think how great we're all going to feel 2 weeks from now to have it all behind us.

I haven't posted much, usually just read like a mad, crazed, info junkie....hey, maybe I should change my name!

Well girls, just wanted to let you know there's another one out here having the same thoughts lets stay in touch. And remember we HAVE EACH OTHER!

Sending you all some big hugs, pretty soon we'll be princess's
Unread 03-12-2002, 02:53 PM
to ghendrix

Hey, I never even considered NEW PANTIES until I read your post. And then I thought, Yeah!! And I thought, mine wont be stained up anymore from the Big Monthly Maniac :explode:
I will be 40 in June and anticipating feeling 25 soon! :jumping:

Blessings all,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 12:17 AM
Only eight days to go - I'm flipping out!!!!

Wow! There are a lot of us on the 20th, so I guess we will have to be quads or quints or something, instead of just twins!

And it looks like we are all having the same ups and downs. Oh no - now it's only six more days! Yikes. I am not doing very much better. I have my good moments, but I spend more time crying and being scared than anything else. Worrying a lot about finances, temp disability isn't paying for all the things that need to be bought and paid for before surg. My oldest cat, who is 17 or 18, is having kidney problems and I really need to board her at the vet while I'm gone because she needs medicine and a special diet. And still no word on my daughter's group home placement for the time I'm gone. And the hospital hasn't called me about my pre-op either!!

My biggest and most terrible fear is anesthesia, and I really hope I can have either a spinal with sedation or an epidural instead of general. I know it's possible, but I'm not sure if my hospital or the anesthesiologist and surgeon will go for the idea. Maybe if I burst into tears they'll give me my way just to shut me up, LOL! And believe me all it takes these days is for someone to look at me cross-eyed, and there go the waterworks.

Thank you all so much for replying, I know I'm not alone. Hey, not only not alone in my feelings, but look at all of us who are going on the same day!!

Well, I guess I should end this post before I start crying again. Thanks again sisters, you are the greatest.

Unread 03-14-2002, 03:23 AM

's I know how scary it can be, I am a single mother and worried about the same things. I know how hard it is but try to stay as busy as possible. I found that when I was worrying about something or someone else, my own problems didn't seem so bad. WE are here for you!!!! Keep the faith and you will soon be on the other side. I was a crazed woman before surgery, but you will get through this.
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:08 AM

I absolutely know how you feel. In the two weeks prior to my surgery on 2/26 I rounded up all my life ins policies and made sure my husband had the info- he looked at me like I was nuts! I was definitely overreacting but I think all those fears about "not waking up" are normal...and I was worried about what they would find during surgery, and that I would wake up with more body parts missing than I planned or some bad diagnosis...but it all went super well. The anesthesiologist came in before surgery and introduced himself, and then stopped in 2 days post-op to check on me which I thought was a very nice touch. I want to reassure you that you will be in good hands and to have faith!
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:42 AM

Mine is tomorrow and like so many more of you I have read this board daily. This will be my 11th surgery - surgery is scary, but my best advice is to be prepared. This is especially true if you have loved ones that depend on you. Unfortunately my DH lost his first wife during childbirth 25 years ago, so he isn't hospital or doctor friendly. If you have children, make sure there is someone there for them while you are in the hospital and someone to explain the "tubes, etc" to them when they come to visit. Most of us having the surgery are relatively healthy or the doctor's would not be performing surgery... but you might want to consider completing an Advanced Directive which puts any requests concerning your care, life support, etc. in writing. Additionally, as a precaution I update my will before I have surgery (every time). The last thing any loved one needs in a time of grief is to have to make a decision for you.... I also say my prayers. It is hard sometimes to think things through at this time, but try to be prepared as possible, god forbid something happens.

I am sure you will be ok... the waiting and worrying is the worst. When you wake up in your room with your friends or family, you won't even remember all these horrible thoughts you have been experiencing.

Don't forget to plan for your return home - get your books together, buy your juices, etc. Maybe get yourself a new bedside clock with a CD player and nature sounds to help soothe those awful late night hours (and you can play this while you are recovering too)... think about coming home and what you will do with yourself during your recovery.

I had to call the hospital and set up the appt for my pre-op... so make the call. Call the vet and talk to them about your cat. If there are things that you can take control of, then make the calls and set up the appts.

My stress hasn't been with the surgery itself, mine is more about when I come home. The only family I have is my DH and he runs his own business, so I will be on my own from day one.... but I have a phone and lots of phone numbers in case I need someone.

We are all giving you lots of hugs and prayers, hang in there, it'll be ok !!
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:06 AM
((((( Gio ))))) from Sam in Chat

Hey Sistah!!!!!! Don't panic. Things will work out. As for the anesthesia, I usually get sick coming out of it, so at preop and the day of surgery I made sure I spoke up and said I want the stuff that will counteract the anesthesia. And low and behold, I did NOT get sick...... And came out of it pretty quick... Quick enough to remember waking up in the op room and saying "Are we done?" I even remember recovery. Pain lots of pain, BUT the nurse took care of that pretty quickly with Demoral and Morphine shots, then I got my pump and went to la la land. You will do great Gio... You are a STRONG person. If I learned anything from my disaster trip to the castle, it's speak your mind, and make sure you question it if it doesn't seem right. Good luck to you, and I hope to see you in chat. I've been tired and sore, AND WET from my leaky bladder, but all in all, I made it and I'm recovering...
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:08 AM

Hi Gio,

I know how you feel. I lost my mom five months ago. My dad died two years prior. I miss them both! Five months ago I lost my job from a layoff and broke my ankle. I have two kids ~ one lives 150 miles away and the other is a high-powered executive who works 12-15 hrs a day. My significant other currently lives 3000 miles away and just started a new job.

I felt really lost until I found this site and now realize I can do this alone and will make it to the other side just fine. I am nervous, cranky and can't sleep and in pain. But, I know that "this too shall pass."

Hang in there gal~ We are all with you!
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:34 AM
I made it through

Hi Gio, I believe I talked to you in the chat room the night before my surgery, when I was freaking out. Everyone on this site has been a wonderful support and I knew what to expect before and after. The first night after the surgery was the worst. I was very nauseated until they took me off the morphine. I was able to take a shower on Friday and I came home on Saturday. I have had very minimal pain which I have been able to control with Motrin, I have rested alot and I have been able to do light housekeeping. I dont know how much lifting you have to do with your daughter but that will be a big NO NO for at least 4 weeks. Doctor said I should be back to normal after 4 and could even resume my nightly activities with my husband at 4 weeks ( will see) I wished we lived closer so I could help you but just know I'm only a click away - you can email me anytime. Big HUGS & KISSES and I will say a prayer for you.

PS> Dr. said cancer cells had not spread beyond cervix so NO CHEMO!!!! Yahoo!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register