How much help should I line up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much help should I line up? How much help should I line up?

Unread 08-01-2008, 02:58 PM
How much help should I line up?

I know everyone's recovery varies, but maybe I can get some general ideas.

I'll be undergoing a TAH, and I live alone. I will have some help from friends/neighbors, but they all work, and I'll only have someone with me all day the day I get home from the hospital.

I am fortunate in that my insurance will cover private nursing care and a home health aide.

My question is this: Should I have a Private nurse come to the hospital during my stay to dress the wound, etc?

Also, do you recommend a home health aide (and will she dress the wound once I am home) and for how long? or would a private nurse be a better idea once I am home?

Thanks, am trying to line up all the things I need to get done (will be having someone come in once a week to clean as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM

It really depends on how you feel in the hospital after the procedure. I don't think you'll need a private nurse once you get home. Usually the dressing comes off 24hrs post op and the incision is left open to air. As far as a home health aide, it might not be a bad idea just for the first couple of days. You should be able to move around okay, but it would be nice to have someone come and check on you to make sure you have everything you need next to you.

Wishing you a very healthy and speedy recovery!!!
Unread 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks, Amanda,

I see you had your TAH two weeks ago, hope you are feeling OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Landrum22-
I had a SAH (abdominal - but left cervix). Don't worry about nursing in the hospital - they'll take care of everything you need. Also- the incision will take care of itself unless there is a complication (infection, or trouble healing). Mine was fine- no complications.
For the first three days I needed help getting in and out of bed. It was as if my upper body was too heavy to raise and lower without hurting- so that was where I needed help. After day 3 I could use my arms better and was left alone for a few hours. I had drinks, snacks, and medications near me (didn't go down the stairs for the first week).
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:25 PM

one more question. Were you able to take a shower standing up the first few days you were home, or would you recommend having a chair in the shower?
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:49 PM

I did not have a dressing on my incision even right out of surgery.
Depending on the closing technique your surgeon uses, you may not even see stitches - mine used subcutaneous stitches and then Dermabond (like glue) on top to close the skin. Others will use steri-strips, some will use staples.

How much help you will need will depend on your recovery. Mine was uneventful; spent three days in the hospital then went home on a Sunday. I was showering and going to the bathroom in the hospital by myself by the second night.

After going home DH was there all that day but because I was doing well he went back to work on Monday. I was able to get out of the bed / off the couch / to the bathroom by myself without problems. I just promised him I would not get in the shower or climb the stairs while he was at work. Our 15 yr old son was home to help as needed, doing chores and heating up food or making sandwiches for me.

If my recovery had been more difficult we would have changed our strategy, so you may need to see how you feel and how much you can do on your own.

Having home health care check in at least daily would be wonderful, because that would be the time to take your shower either with her help or just to know someone was there in case you felt dizzy and needed assistance.

A chair in the shower would be handy, because in the early days of my recovery even just showering, washing my hair and getting dressed in clean clothes was the only accomplishment for the day.

If you do not feel well enough to do these things by yourself once you are home, or if for some reason you had to go home with a cathether, you may wish to have private nursing care come stay with you - what a blessing to have insurance coverage for this !!!

I'm 4 weeks out and am probably 85% back to normal.

Please post your surgery date on your profile as soon as you know when it will be. There's lots of wonderful ladies who will be here anytime of the day and night to help.

Hugs,
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Wow, Skipper, you certainly are making a quick recovery. I'm assuming you were very fit before surgery. For age 52, I'm in good shape myself, do lots of aerobic exercise and weight lifting. I am hopeful that will help in the amount of time it takes me to heal.

Yes, I am very fortunate in that I have terrific insurance coverage.

Glad you are doing so well.

Will post once I have a date.

Thanks,

Laura
D&C 1997
Rollerball endometrial ablation 2000
Unread 08-02-2008, 09:13 PM

I would plan on some assistance, and then you can send them away if you don't feel the need. I had a Da Vinci...but really needed my mom staying with me the first 3 or 4 nights. I didn't really NEED her all the time....but it took a lot off my mind to have someone else making sure I had medicines, drinks, just whatever. I had planned on having her 24 hrs a day for week - just in case - because you never know how bad or good your recovery will go. I completely feel like having some back up and support planned is a load off the body and the mind...then, as you hit your recovery milestones you can release is slowly....as you need.

Good luck...I'm sure all will go well. Blessings
TANK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register