Hysterectomy in three days - feeling a little overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy in three days - feeling a little overwhelmed Hysterectomy in three days - feeling a little overwhelmed

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Hysterectomy in three days - feeling a little overwhelmed

I'm 28 and this is my first (ever!) surgery of any kind. My hysterectomy is scheduled for January 18th, and unfortunately I don't know which version I'm getting, and won't until I wake up after the surgery is over. My doctor said there's a good chance he can do it laparoscopically but depending on how things are configured on the inside I might wake up with a full abdominal cut. At this point I've tried preparing a little for both, but I only learned that I was getting my surgery so soon a few days ago, so my prep time has been extremely minimal.

I've been jumping back and forth emotionally between being scared as heck and prodding my tummy going "HAH, they're kicking you to the curb, parasite!" with a decent amount of sadistic excitement (I'm a dork). Tomorrow is my last day at work for a few weeks and I think that might be the real wake-up call. At the moment I'm more nervous about my recovery than the surgery itself, especially with the horror stories involving the gas pains being worse than the actual surgery pains. While reading to help prepare I often have to stop because I feel like sometimes I'm reading too much and getting more freaked out.

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm in a little over my head, and part of me just wants to remain as ignorant as I can about everything until the surgery is at least done. At least then I'll know what the damage is. I don't really feel like I can completely prepare for everything without knowing what's going to be done to me beforehand. At the same time I don't want to just completely chill out and miss doing something to better prepare myself as much as I can.

So far I've gotten my room almost entirely clean, I've set up everything I'm going to need daily (deodorant, lotion, medication, tissues, vitamins, cotton swabs, chapstick) on the table next to my bed. I have a 24-pack of bottled water within a few feet of my bed on the floor and a few containers of juice boxes next to that so I don't have to traverse the stairs every time I want to drink something. My laundry is finished (and chilling me out a bit because freshly cleaned blankets and sheets are AWESOME), and my fridge/cupboards/freezer are full of easy-to-prep foods. I have a little bottle of stool softener just in case (because I'm paranoid) and I'm likely going to invest in some Gas-X or something of the like in the next day or so just in case (though some people have told me to wait and see what my doctor says as far as what I should be taking for potential gas pains (wow, I'm using a lot of parenthesis...)). I'm going to be buying fresh, larger-than-usually granny panties tomorrow and I already have a couple pairs of super comfy pajama pants to trudge around in. I FEEL like I'm pretty prepared but I still feel nervous that I'm missing something important, though it's likely just my nerves starting up again.

I can't wait until they figure out how to directly teleport bothersome organs out of people. That would make things so much easier. Hurry up and get on that, science!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Re: Hysterectomy in three days - feeling a little overwhelmed

Sounds like all your prep is going well. I'm going in for a LAVH on the 18th. We will be hyster sister princesses together! Today I've been going through all the reasons I'm doing this to keep myself in the right mindset. It's easy to dwell on fears and reasons to NOT do this.
My advice...write down every one of your concerns. Labeling them and then either researching them, talking to your doctor, or just letting them go may help you eliminate some of your fears. There is lots of help on this site. I try to focus on he positive stories. I figure if something goes wrong, I'll come back here and read about it. No sense in dwelling on things we can't control. I'm going to make a list of all the reasons I'm doing this - partly to keep me on track now, and partly because 6 months from now I'm hoping I'll be feeling fantastic and it will be good to remember how far I've come in taking back my life.

Good luck. Keep breathing. Keep talking to people you trust. In a few days it'll all be over and our lives will begin again.
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Hi there - My hysterectomy is the day after yours, and I am also feeling a bit overwhelmed, have been trying to do as much to prep as I can...

One of my mom's friends suggested to me to have as much as possible up at countertop height, easy to reach, so you might want to have some of the water and juice boxes up higher than floor level. I got some peppermint and some ginger tea bags, to take in case I feel queasy or gassy, and I also got a plastic garden stool to put in my shower in case I feel like sitting down instead of standing (already had one of those hand held shower gizmos)

Boy do I wish that they could teleport my uterus and all its friends out, instead of the surgery, I too do not know which kind of incision I will wake up with. I have had about a month to get used to this, but still feel pretty odd. At this point, I am telling myself that by this time next week the surgery will be done, and I will know a lot more, including hopefully a diagnosis!

I reckon I will see you over in the post-op forums before too long. I hope that your surgery goes well and that your recovery goes smoothly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM

I am also having my hysterectomy on the 18th. I am nervous but have been in so much pain for way to long that I am happy the time is almost here. I have stage 4 endo. I had a lap done on Nov. 22 my doctor went in saw how bad it was and had me closed back up in 15 mins. He said it is wrapped around everything so bad he didn't want to take any chances of hurting other organs. I am having my uterus, ovaries,tubes and cervix removed. I also wont know if this will be done larascopic or abdominal until I wake up.I am worried about starting menopose early and how my body will react. I have not been able to work more than 4 and a half hours a day since October because the pain. No meds work. The one thing I didn't ask at my pre-op appointment was the length of surgery. I know it is different for each case but do any of you have a ballpark time frame that you were told? I hope everything goes well for all of you this week.
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

I was told my laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy ( including tubes, ovaries, and cervix) will be about 2 hours. But, I don't have some of the complications you are talking about.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM

You ladies are going to be just fine. I am 6 days post op, and already feel great. Yes, the unknown is scary. Sounds like you ladies are getting good and ready beforehand. Yes, the gas pains are not fun. But, you will get through them just fine. 6 days, and I already feel like a new me. I had everything removed. Have your Faith in God, and he will see you through. Remember that he will be in that operating room with you, and he will be guiding the surgeon's hands. Push on through ladies, and God Bless you. Will be praying for you.
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:25 PM

I agree with Susan! I am 7 days post-op and boy was i freaked out before hand. I even suffered a minor panic attack as I woke up in recovery. The nurse told me it was most likely the fact that i felt that way went I went into the OR. I just kept my breathing steady and feminded myself it is now over.

You ladies will do great ! it's ok to feel the way you do. Completly normal. Everyone gets scared of the unknown. I was, but once on the otherside it was not as bad as my head imagined.

Good Luck Ladies!! If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM

I am 5 days post op from a TAH and am doing great. I too was a nervous wreck prior to my surgery date. I thought I read everything on this site to prepare myself but somehow missed the video on how to get out of bed. That was my biggest issue after surgery. An angel on this site told me about the video yesterday and now I'm good. The gas pains are just that PAIN, but you get over it. The surgery itself was a breeze, I was nervous but as soon as they roll you into surgery, it's over and you are on your way to recovery. I prepared in every way possible, but still need help with little things. Sometimes it's just hard getting up from a seated position, sometimes a reminder to get up and walk or take your meds is needed, and even a reminder that you've walked enough is needed. My husband is here after work and my sister got approved to work from my house this week. It's nice having them around. My son is in college and calls me everyday to check on me. I am so glad I did it and am recovering just fine.

My advice would be that there is nothing wrong with being nervous. How can you not be? And even though there is a lot of advice on this site, everyone's experience is different. Do everything you can to prepare, then relax and recover in peace! Good luck ladies. You will be out of surgery before you know it and we will be praying for you the whole time!
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM

It sounds like you are very well prepared. I might make one suggestion...the water and juice you mentioned on the floor...you might want to try to find somewhere higher to put it....I'm not sure about other procedures, but if you do end up with an abdominal incision, you will be told no bending or stooping for awhile.

Waiting is one of the hardest parts of this whole process. The unknown can be very scary, but trust me, YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Take a deep breath and relax. Recovery isn't bad. You just have to take your time and be patient with your body. The gas pains are terrible, but the Gas-X really does help a lot with that.

Again, it sounds like you are very well prepared. You have nothing to worry about. Soon you will be on the road to recovery and on your way to a healthier, happier you!!

tomorrow!! And we'll see you on the other side!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register