help gotta few ?s as time gets closer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help gotta few ?s as time gets closer help gotta few ?s as time gets closer

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:11 PM
help gotta few ?s as time gets closer

Ok so surgerys tuesday and geez am i a wrek already lol. House is preped meals are frozen and child arrangments are done. My questions are as followed: 1. When will they put the cath in? 2. How long does a tah take? ( i know it says laprascopic on my profile however we have changes to a tah) 3. Will my pain button be connected when i awake? 4. Will i wake in recovery or in my hospital room?5. I have read alot about taking gas x and stool softners should i buy these? 6. Im saposed to do a fleet enama tomorrow night. How uncomfortable is this? Will i be in the bathroom all night? 7. Dr. apt on monday 29 to remove staples aint that to soon? 8. Trick or treat is the 29 will i be able to walk the town with my girls? I think thats about it. I apoligize for so many questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Re: help gotta few ?s as time gets closer

I had tons of questions too so I'm happy to answer those that I can as they applied to me.

They put my cath in once I was out. I think that's standard. My pain button was connected. I woke up on recovery and remember being told about the pump once I was in my room. I was so sleep after surgery so I hardly remember more then asking for ice chips and being wheeled to my room. I slept on and off for hours. I did the enema too wasn't as bad as I expected. I was not in the bathroom all night I was never sure I did it 100% correctly.

I'm sorry but I doubt you'll feel up to walking that much so soon after your surgery. It takes more out of you then you think it will however each day you'll see bits of time that there is an improvement the key is to go slow. I just know for me 6 days post op I wasn't up to walking so much. Everyone is different and you might I just don't want you paying for it for days after trick or treat. I missed seeing my daughter in a Halloween parade 9 days post op. DH took great pictures.

Best wishes!!!
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM

I had a tah oct. 2. They put the catheter in after they knocked me out they took it out the following day. I remember being carted off to my hosp room. I don't remember anything about recovery room. Surgery took about an hour and a half. Yes, I strongly recommend gas x and stool softener. And a tummy pillow. U'll want the pillow with u at all times for the next 2-3 weeks. Helps a lot if u hafta cough, laugh, or sneeze to have something up against ur belly. Hope all goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Jenrine:

1. When will they put the cath in?

Typically, it's done once you're under anesthesia.

2. How long does a tah take? ( i know it says laprascopic on my profile however we have changes to a tah)

That depends on what they find. I think 2-3 hours is pretty typical, but mine took 4 1/2 as I had lots of adhesions.

3. Will my pain button be connected when i awake?

That depends on your hospital. My hysterectomy hospital did not give me a button-activiated morphine pump, but I got shots in my IV a few times and it was OK.

4. Will i wake in recovery or in my hospital room?

I woke up in the OR, but as my breathing tube was out, that was OK with me. So you can wake up in the OR, recovery or in your hospital room.

5. I have read alot about taking gas x and stool softners should i buy these?

Yes. Almost any kind of abdominal surgery will make you constipated. Plan to drink a lot of water (even when you're on an IV) and walk a little as soon as they let you.

6. Im saposed to do a fleet enama tomorrow night. How uncomfortable is this? Will i be in the bathroom all night?

Fleets are pretty easy to deal with. A little uncomfortable, but no big deal. You shouldn't be in the bathroom all night. It also helps to eat lightly today and tomorrow.

7. Dr. apt on monday 29 to remove staples aint that to soon?

They usually take out the staples 5-10 days after surgery, so next Monday would be fine.

8. Trick or treat is the 29 will i be able to walk the town with my girls?

The town? No, probably not. But do a few houses with them that are near your house, you should be OK for that. You also might not be quite ready for all the up and down of handing out candy, either. Be sure your daughters have other people to trick or treat with, and that you have a designated candy passer-outer at out door.
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Hi jenrine. I will chime in with answers as well...

1. When will they put the cath in?
They will probably put that in after you are asleep. That was my experience.

2. How long does a tah take? ( i know it says laprascopic on my profile however we have changes to a tah)
My TAH BSO took 90 minutes. My doc said the average is 90 to 120 minutes.

3. Will my pain button be connected when i awake?
Yes, that should be connected when you wake up. They will instruct you on its use.

4. Will i wake in recovery or in my hospital room?
I remember waking up in recovery room. Everyone is different.

5. I have read alot about taking gas x and stool softners should i buy these?
I did not buy these, and was only supposed to be on stool softeners if I stayed on narcotics at home. I was able to switch only to 600 mg Ibuprofen. But, talk to your doctor about it.

6. Im saposed to do a fleet enama tomorrow night. How uncomfortable is this? Will i be in the bathroom all night?
I did bowel cleanse with magnesium citrate. With that you just don't want to be too far from a bathroom. I assume the enema is the same.

7. Dr. apt on monday 29 to remove staples aint that to soon?
I don't know on that one.... I assume they know what they are doing.

8. Trick or treat is the 29 will i be able to walk the town with my girls?
Very doubtful. You will be very exhausted from your surgery. Taking a shower and getting to the couch will be an accomplishment. At best you could probably do a few houses up and then go home. I also agree with the other sister - get someone else to pass out candy in your household.

Don't worry about the questions! That is what we are here for

Unread 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM

If you haven't already asked your doctor about how long to expect surgery to take, do so. I asked only to be able to advise my family what to expect. My doctor told me about an hour - but my surgery was pretty straight forward (not sure what all your reasons for surgery are). Dh told me they wheeled me into the surgery room at 7:40 and I was "awake" in recovery by 9:00 to let them know my pain level.

No pain button for me either. Like forcythia, they put the morphine in my IV. I had no control over it.

I would plan not to expect to feel up to walking the kids around for Halloween. At six days post op I wasn't able to sit comfortably, let alone stand for more than a few minutes without discomfort. There would have been no way I'd have even ventured out of the house for a walk. But, that said, you may feel more mobile, and be able to hit a few of the neighbors.
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM

I woke up in the recovery room with the cathiter being put in when I went to sleep. Ask your Dr how long the surgery should take. My pain button was already to go and was wonderful. Buy stool softeners ahead of time. I didn't but really, really needed them and had to send hubby to get them. I wouldn't plan on trick or treat at all. Make arrangements with someone to take them. I am 4.5 weeks out and I am planning on only a few houses because I get tired so quickly and then my abs hurt. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM

One other note on "trick or treating" - if you find you're comfortable walking around a little bit outside after your surgery, you're probably fine to go out to a few houses for Halloween. But if you think you want to take your kids out to a few houses, be sure you've done a little walking during the day first. You will walk very slowly for about the first 2 weeks or so post-op.

I walked almost a half mile every day after my surgery, but everyone's recovery rate is different. I'd walked a lot more than that every day before my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register