Need help with Betadine..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help with Betadine..... Need help with Betadine.....

Unread 12-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Need help with Betadine.....

douche. How embarrassing! I went to WalMart last night to pick this up. The pharmacy was already closed. I could not find ONE douche that said anything about betadine! I asked one of the WalMart workers and she had no idea either. She mentioned that Walgreens pharmacy was open 24 hours, so I went there.

I looked and looked and couldn't find one there either. So, reluctantly I went to the pharmacist to ask. And wouldn't you know it was a male pharmacist! I explained the situation to him and told him I couldn't find it, so he came out to help me.

He said this Summer's Eve Medicated Douche was the right one? The active ingredient is Povidone-iodine .3% Is this right? Is this the kind that any of you used?

I was told at my Pre-op to do this the night before and the morning of my surgery on TUESDAY! I'm not having it done at the hospital. So, I have to get this myself. I figured I could call my Dr.'s office tomorrow, but if any of you knew that would help!

TIA! I hope someone knows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2003, 03:08 PM

HMMM.....out of curiousity I did a site search on Betadine Douche and found several posts that talked about having to do this, but none of them mentioned where they got it from. Wonder if it's just plain old betadine and you have to put it in a douche bottle. And no the medicated douche is not the same thing. Betadine is the orangey-reddish stuff that stains you. Either go back to Walmart and ask them if they have it behind the counter (I work in a Walmart and we keep a lot of unusual things behind the counter in the pharmacy, specialty things and such) or call your doc and ask where he suggests getting it. Lots of luck with the surgery.
Unread 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Interesting

You might want to give your Dr. office a call and ask just what exactly you are to use. The nurse at my surgeon's office was very helpful. I'm surprised that you weren't given something. Somehow, using the straight solution internally seems unusual.

I am not an MD, just concerned that you are using what you are supposed to use.

Fishcrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Summer's Eve Douche

That is the brand that I used...when the nurse told me to use a betadine douche...I asked her if the Medicated Douche was the same thing and she said yes. I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart...I did have to go to Walgreens.
Unread 12-07-2003, 05:33 PM

Hi

When I was looking for Betadine Douche, I couldn't find it either. I did find one with the ingredient Povidone Iodine. I called the Dr to check and was told yes, that is the same thing.

But just to make sure please call your own DR for verification.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-07-2003, 06:14 PM

Betadine is the "brand" name for the generic product providone iodine, just as Motrin is the "brand" name for ibuprofen. Every medication has a "trade" or "brand" name, and a "generic" name that refers to the chemical formula for the product. And of course; "brand" name stuff is more expensive than generic products.

The Summer's Eve, Massengill, or store brands should all be fine. As long as the box says "medicated" and has the providone iodine listed as an ingredient, you're in the right place.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register