PMDD and antidepressants after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMDD and antidepressants after LAVH PMDD and antidepressants after LAVH

Unread 11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
PMDD and antidepressants after LAVH

I am scheduled for a LAVH on Dec 16. I am currently taking Pristiq for the PMDD symptoms. Has anyone been on antidepressants before surgery and stopped them afterwards and how did it work? I am having my ovaries removed as well don't know if this matters but I would really like to get off the antidepressant. The side effects of the antidepressants aren't pleasant either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Re: PMDD and antidepressants after LAVH

I have been on a mild antidepressant for a few years for PTSD and have continued them....if the side effects aren't good and you feel you still need to take them, maybe you should try a different medication? I have no side effects that I notice from mine, but I am at the lowest dose.
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Has anyone had severe PMDD after hysterectomy when they leave the ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM

I've been on antidepressants for years. I've been in the process of switching for several months. I went to the castle on full dose of 1 and half of the other. Then, 2 weeks post op, my doctor (not gyn) decided I should continue my transition and go down to 1/4 dose. That was a terrible idea. After 4 days of wanting to strangle DH, I went back to 1/2 dose. I'm still adjusting 5 days later.

For me, hormonal changes plus antidepressant changes were a bad thing. Now, I don't know if my mood swings are due to hormones or the med change. I need to get my hormones straightened out before changing anything else.

Obviously, this is up to you and your doctor and I can't give you advice. I can only tell my story.

Best wishes,

Cynthia
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM

I've been on antidepressents for awhile now for PMDD and depression issues and I know they really helped me get through this surgery. I most definetly will not be stopping them anytime soon as I still have mood swings (kept overies). My anti depressents keep me from wanting to strangle my dh and kids though.
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM

I was on 25 mg of zoloft and 150 mg of wellbutrin prior to surgery for PMDD. After surgery I decided to go off and was doing fine until about 10 weeks after surgery I started taking estrogel because my hot flashes were getting bad. About 2-4 weeks into the estrogel I started having the same syptoms of PMDD. I took my zoloft for a few days and increased the estrogel to 2 pumps. Started to feel better right away so I stopped the zoloft after 3 days. Then about 2 weeks after I started to have the same syptoms so I decided to stop the estrogel altogether and started zoloft again. I've felt much better ever since and would like to attempt going off the zoloft again now that I'm off the estrogel but I'm worried I will go backwards again I really would rather not be on anything. I've started walking and running 25 mins a day on the treadmill and feel great. I finish school in April for the summer and will try going off the zoloft again once I'm done school. I really do think that some of us can't tolerate estrogen very well because the other thing I have is endometriosis which is why I had the hysterectomy and that is caused by estrogen as well.
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:58 PM

oh ya forgot to mention and also need to keep this in mind...since i stopped the estrogel I haven't really had any bad hotflashes..if anything once in awhile I feel a sutble flash but hardly noticeable...so i'm thinking that the zoloft may be helping with them. I've heard others say they were prescribed antidepressants for hotflashes and when I stopped taking them after my surgery at about 6 weeks is when my hot flashes started. So I may just stay on this low dose for that very reason. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register