Post Hyster Prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Hyster Prolapse Post Hyster Prolapse

Unread 02-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Post Hyster Prolapse

HI

I am having my op in about 11 hours time and I need to know something...

Am I more likely to have another prolapse If I have my cervix removed?

I have a prolapse of the uterus, rectocele and cystocele... in addition to a 14 week uterus, (multiple fibroids and who knows what other barnacles).

I read that the doctors consider 5 years prolapse free to be a good outcome? Is this true? I dont mind hearing bad news as it means that I can adjust my mind. Better to know then to live in a fools paradise.

Also is there anything I can do in the years to come to avoid another prolapse? I scuba dive.

Is there anything I can do in hospital to avoid getting infection into my stitches. They are fixing up the rear wall and I did get my episiotomy infected with childbirth. I do not want to have that pain again.

Should I try not to eat in hospital to avoid getting the last part of my colon dirty... I will be in fr 4 days.

I am going to look up posts on rectal repair but in case I cannot find any how is it done? DO they cut a part out and then stitch two walls together again?

I would really really appreciate and answer... I am GMT +8 I think that that is about 12 hours ahead of your EST. So it is already Monday morning here. 3:30am to be more precise... ok I am chewing my nails..

I had this dream that when I got to hospital they would realise that I just had a bladder infection or was it an appendix problem so that I wouldnt have to go through the whole thing.

But then I realise that I am toxic already.. even typing this I had to recheck my typing twice and even now I am sure there are errors... and that is because of what is going on down there. Blockages.

Also how do they remove endo??

Thanks in advance to those who do reply. I really really need to know this stuff.

Paula
46 years old..

The stars were beautiful this morning!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Post Hyster Prolapse

Hi Paula

Best of luck with your surgery. I'll send lots of good thoughts your way tomorrow.

I'm not sure I can answer your prolapse question as I've not had that problem, but if I understand correctly you're worried about no longer having a cervix to "support" other internal things. The medical community seems torn on this issue. Since the cervix is part of the uterus my doctor always removes it unless the patient requests otherwise. When I asked her if keeping it helped support other parts she said no, based on her own beliefs and studies.

Again, since I've never had anything prolapsed I don't know if this information is helpful or not. Hopefully another sister, someone who had experience with this matter, can shed some more light.

Unread 02-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Post Hyster Prolapse

Hi Paula,

I'm sorry you're up so early, but can truly understand. I discovered HS the night before my hyst, when I was too nervous to sleep and sat at the computer trying to find information.

I'll do my best to try to answer at least some of your questions, and hopefully, others will come along who can answer what I can't.

Since you are having a vaginal hyst, with repairs for a cystocele and a rectocele, as far as I am aware, you will not be able to keep your cervix, which is basically a part of your uterus anyway. The top of your vagina will be folded over and stitched to the ligaments that held up your uterus. I suppose it all depends on the severity of your bladder prolapse and your bowel prolapse, as to whether they will or can re-occur and how soon.

You are right about how the bowel prolapse is repaired. The excess tissue is cut out and then you are stitched back up.

I don't know the statistics on prolapse recurring at five years. I think, again, that would depend on the severity, and on your life-style. You will be limited for several weeks as to how many pounds you are allowed to lift, while your internal stitches are healing. Please be sure to follow all restrictions that your doctor gives you.

Doing kegel exercises can help to strenghthen your pelvic floor - be sure to ask your doctor when you can resume doing them.

I also had a rectocele (with the episiotomy-like incision) and didn't do anything special in the hospital, but you might ask about taking some medicated wipes, since you will be there longer than we are in the States (I was in only 1 night). Another thing that you may want to have is a donut pillow to sit on. I didn't have one until a couple of days after I got back home, and wish I had known to get one earlier.

Please do not refuse to eat in the hospital unless you have talked with your doctor and he/she agrees. I do not have a medical background, but it's important for your body to be nourished in order to get strong and heal.

I may not understand your question about how endo is removed - normally, the doctor would cut out any endometrial tissue that he/she is able to see. If you have time, please go to the following link and scroll down to find several links to endo sites that have more information than I can include in this post.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29372

I'm glad the stars were beautiful this morning - it's been chilly and cloudy and raining here all day.

please let us know when you're back home. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

's

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register