Surgery tomorrow morning - Nervous....Need advice and reassurance from EVERYONE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow morning - Nervous....Need advice and reassurance from EVERYONE Surgery tomorrow morning - Nervous....Need advice and reassurance from EVERYONE

Unread 06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Surgery tomorrow morning - Nervous....Need advice and reassurance from EVERYONE

Hi everyone. Getting more and more nervous by the second. I know I'm going to be okay but still....

My 13 yr old dd called me from her dad's house to check on me and reminded me for the hundredth time to tell grandma to call her the second I'm out of surgery. Poor thing - she is so worried and that worries me. I told her I will be okay but what if....

Okay, can't think like that right? Positive thoughts.

Is it just me or is any body else buggin' out right now???

Major stuff aside, I'm mostly scared of how I'm going to feel when I wake up and how much pain I'll be in - and how much pain after that. This is so stressful!! What if they can't get the pain under control?

I've had chronic pain for so long, so I take narcotic meds and what if I have a tolarance and they can't get me comfortable??What if I stay a 10 on the pain level???
I can't wait to get this over with already. This anxiety really sticks. Any advice??? Help me sisters!!

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Surgery Tomorrow

Lori,
I am bugging out too! I have a 12 year old that is staying really close and is worried sick so that has made me a bundle of nerves. I almost wish he was at camp or something--anyway I will have DH call the minute I am out of surgery tomorrow.

I am visualizing positive happenings and am ready to go. All the people that I have spoken with told me I won't regret the decision, everything is much better since their Hyster and I mean EVERYTHING!!!!!

I will be anxious to hear from your return from the castle! I am supposed to be in for 3-4 days. I hope to talk to you sometime this weekend!
Valerie
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:01 PM

I think I'll be in 3 - 4 days, too. That's what my doc told me to expect. Let's try to keep in touch! Won't it be great if the next time we talk we are raving about how easy and how smooth everything went?? I'm hoping!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Ladies, I am 7 days post-op, and I, too, was TERRIFIED! The experience wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. No picnic, but not hell, either. I don't remember much of my surgery day at all - started at 9:00, lasted till 11:30, have no memory until about 5:30 that evening. Pain, but not intolerable. The morphine pump helps, but it makes your mouth really dry, so be sure to ask for ice chips. And if you get naseous, they will give you medicine for that too, if you ask. I was on tummy medicine the whole 3 days I was there. Pain dramatically reduced by two, and manageable by day 3. By day 4, I was home, and by day 5, I was here back on the computer. Just learn how to roll out of bed before your surgery (put legs on the floor first, then push yourself up with your arm). Hardest part is getting in and out of bed. My prayers will be with all of you tomorrow!!! Everything will be fine.
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:20 PM

Your emotions are totally normal. You are having major surgery. It really isn't that bad if all goes well. I had never had a surgery before so was very nervous. The pain was about a 4 after surgery, and I stayed up until almost 8:30 the same night. Just couldn't sleep. The ice chips are a must! Your mouth will be soooo dry. They also gave me some kind of swabs that tasted sweet that I could put in my mouth.

My pain was about a 1 or 2 the next day. The worst part really is the gas. Until you can pass gas it is quite uncomfortable. I had a TAH so my tummy was really numb, and actually it still is in some places especially the incision area.

My thoughts are with all of you June 16, LIW.

Good luck to you all, hope to hear from you the end of this week or beginning of next.
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM

Try not to worry, you can do it! They will do their best to make you comfortable. Just make sure you let them know if the pain is unbearable. Stay ahead of the pain. If it starts to hurt let them know asap. It's easier to stay ahead of the pain than to get out of it if you wait.

If you have tolerance to one kind of pain med I am sure they can find another.

I was out of my mind right before my surgery!! I was sooo afraid but it turned out just fine.

Soon you will be resting like a real

I am 5 weeks and feel fine.

woodsie
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:42 PM

Thank you all so much for your kind, encouraging words. I do feel a little better after hearing that. I will write as soon as I can after I get home.

Also, to any other LIW heading to the castle tomorrow, I look forward to talking to each other. Best of luck to everyone!

Fingers crossed!

Lori
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:47 PM

I have the same fear about pain control. I know asking for phenergan can help the pain meds work. aside from that I dunno my tolerance for pain is low and my tolerance for pain meds is very high.

Let us know as soon as you can how things went and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register