Urodynamics Testing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urodynamics Testing Urodynamics Testing

Unread 03-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Urodynamics Testing

Hi everyone. I will be having urodynamics testing done on this Wednesday. Anyone have info on what the test is like (does it hurt??). I'm really not looking forward to it. Trying to stay upbeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Urodynamics Testing

Hi Karen

I had urodynamic testing the first of Jan. It doesn't hurt a bit.
If you are ok with a technician or the uro gyn hooking you up to catheters and watching to see if you leak at at what pressure, then you will have no problem. It didn't bother me as I have had about every test imaginable checking out from the top to the bottom.
It does give alot of info that will be very helpful in determining your treatment.

Take a look at this link and see if it helps to answer any of your questions:

http://www.brazjurol.com.br/pdf/lane_420_425.htmlalso do a search on urodynamic testing or multi channel urodynamic testing.

Good luck Wed. and don't worry about it.

Peggy
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Urodynamics Testing

Hi Karen,

I am having urodynamics done on Tuesday and I will try to remember to post again on this thread to tell you what it is like for me. Mine is to be done as an OP at the hospital. Three tests will be done and I will be awake for some of them and sedated for others...I'm not sure which one, but I think maybe the cystoscopy portion? They will be doing a cystoscopy to look inside the bladder and make sure there are no abnormalities. They will also measure bladder pressures at different fullness levels. The third test uses radioactive dye and X-rays to show the bladder and ureters to check that they are working correctly and that there are no anatomical problems that need correction. From what I have read, the doctor should be able to tell if you need a bladder suspension based on the results right away.

I'm glad I am having this testing done because I can have the suspension (if I need one) done at the same time as my TAH and have only one recovery. Good luck Wednesday!

Maggiemay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Wink - Urodynamics Testing It's over!

Hi Karen,

I had my urodynamics done today at the hospital. All went well. I was most worried about the catheter and how it would feel. It felt weird, didn't really hurt...more like a strange pressure. My bladder did spasm some when they emptied it and that was a quick sharp pain, but once I realized what it was I was okay with it. They did the cystogram and cystometrics while I was awake. I had to bear down for the pressure test and cough hard at different times. Then they sedated me for the cystoscopy. I am feeling fine, drinking plenty of water. They gave me Gentamycin in my IV to prevent a UTI and my urethra is a little sore, but not bad.

I am relieved it is over and the "embarassment" factor is not as bad as I expected. The urologist was great, very professional and kind. The nurses dimmed the lights and that helped me to feel less exposed. Waiting around was the most difficult part because the urologist was behind. He had been called out for emergency surgery earlier in the day. I was just glad they did not cancel my appt and he was willing to work late instead!

I will find out at my follow-up next week whether I need the bladder suspension or not. Good luck tomorrow and try not to worry too much...it's not too bad!

Maggiemay
Unread 03-09-2005, 05:01 AM
Urodynamics Testing

Thanks Maggiemay for letting me know how things went for you yesterday. I will be glad when this procedure is over. I am having my done at my gyn's office. My appointment is at 2:45 this afternoon. I'll check in later tonight and let you know how my appointment went. Thanks for the support.
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Urodynamics Testing

i have to have this done in a few days (waiting for the appointment)
- but i'm worried as i will have my period at the same time, and feel this will make it embarrassing/messy

- any thoughts?

Thanks
Unread 03-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Urodynamics Testing

bikery-chicky

Maybe you can call the dr's office who is doing the test and see if they should reschedule the test? You do have to lay on the table with your legs in stirrups during the test. A urodynamic technician(woman) did my test. She sat right there and watched everything down there and even held down my prolapses while she did the test stuff.I would think it would be messy and maybe somewhat embarrasing for you.I didn't have to worry about being on my period since I had my TAH in May.
Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Peggy
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Urodynamics Testing

Hi everyone.
Well I had my testing done yesterday and it wasn't bad at all. I must say it was just a little embarassing to sit and pee while two people looked on, but there was no pain at all. Will not be getting results until I see the dr. in a month. He wants to do a series of blood work on me and so the story goes on. I am very grateful that he is very pro-active. Hope everyone enjoys their day.
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Urodynamics Testing

waiting for results is always the hard part. Doing the test is the easy part, but having to wait so long for the results is aggravating. I hope you get answers when you go back for your appt.

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register