Starting to Freak out!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Starting to Freak out!!!! Starting to Freak out!!!!

Unread 01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Starting to Freak out!!!!

[font=Arial Black][i][size=2][color=Blue]Hey Ladies, I am to have TAH on Friday mornig and I am beginig to loose my mind. I know that most of us do, but I am scared to death of IVs. I know this sounds silly, but it is true. I am trying to remain brave for my family. But on the inside I am screaming. I saw something on tv yesturday about people actually being awake during their surgeries and they could not communicate it to the medical staff. I am planning a spinal so maybe I want have any worries there. I guess I am just nervous. Keep me in your prayers.
Charlotte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2006, 10:46 AM

I feel better to know I am not the only one. I am having TAH on Friday and I am just a nervous wreck We will be just fine , although I could just cry at the drop of a hat and can hardly eat anything, but I think being nervous is normal, especially for what we are going to go through. Good luck and take care....
Unread 01-23-2006, 12:02 PM

Hey Charlotte and 3Dog,

I'm with you both in spirit. I hate IV's too, it's not that they hurt, it's just the thought of it. I think you both are very brave and honest about what you feel, so no need for any apologies! As my date gets closer I have good moments and bad ones. I'm praying for you both!

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2006, 12:09 PM

Hello, This is my first time to post. My surgery is Feb. 15, and as silly as it sounds, I am also TERRIFIED of iv's. I've had them before with no problems, but they hurt and freak me out!!! I am not glad that this scares you, but it is nice to finally find someone to understand and not call me chicken. (I DO need feather though, cause this whole thing is really making me scared!) Emily
Unread 01-23-2006, 12:20 PM

Let me join in the "wimps when it comes to needles" club! I hate blood draws, always have to lay down. An IV is the worst thought of them all. Two years ago, with foot surgery, the nurse couldn't get the IV in and it was a nightmare. I should've asked for a different person after the 2nd try failed. But, no... she kept trying... and trying... Eventually, the anesthesiologist got it in with no problem. For my hyst, the nurse got it in easily. I, of course, still got light headed even though I was laying down! I felt like a dope when she gave me oxygen but better to be cautious. The nurse giggled a bit at me when I had to go to the rest room before surgery and was holding my IV arm out like I had to keep it completely still or something. By the 2nd day in the hospital, I was able to actually look at my IV! How brave!

I'm so sorry you saw that show about waking up during surgery. My husband mentioned that to me the day before my surgery and I couldn't sleep thinking about it! Of course, this didn't happen. Best to put it out of your mind and trust your anesthesiologist to do a great job.

Don't be embarrassed that you're scared of the IV. So many of us are. Let the nurse know you're terrified of the IV and he/she should be extra considerate. Be sure to let them know if you start to get light headed so they can act quickly.

I wish each of you the best on your upcoming surgeries.
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:03 PM

i am scheduled for tah on monday the 30th,i totally understand the fear and freaking out!!! i am queen of the wimps!!!
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:15 PM

For everyone who is afraid and due for surgery soon! Just remember all of us who made it through fine and are on the road to recovery . . . through those IV needles and raging fear.(YAH, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, I'M SURPRISED THEY HAVEN'T MADE A T-SHIRT WITH MY PICTURE ON IT AS THE BIGGEST SCAREDY CAT OF ALL!) On the day of surgery as the pre-0p nurse asked me what I was in for, I just burst into tears. . . . so I do understand!!!!
Keep reading about all of us Princesses who are Post Op and loving it. Let us know when you are scared so we can reassure you the same way we were reassured by those Princesses who came before us. Fear is a nasty thing . . . let's fight it together! I'll keep all of you in my thoughts. . . POSITIVE THOUGHTS ONLY!! Oh, and keep busy. . .as long as I had no down time to think about it, I was better!
Best wishes and love to all of you!
Missbehavior
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM

I just had a TAH on January 13th. I can tell you that the worst part was worrying beforehand! As for the IV, they didn't even put mine in until we got to the operating room, and I swear it didn't hurt. And they had me out so quickly after they had it in anyway.
Hang in there...you'll be reassuring others post-op before you know it.
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:57 PM

i hate needles too, i learned if you cough a second before they put it in you feel no pain i felt nothing the sight of an iv scares me in my hand but i just didnt look at it pre op fears are the worse but being out 1 week today may i say it will be ok i was scared but on the day of my surgery i said a pray and asked god to take my fears away i felt such a calm after that they give you medicine in your iv to help you get sleepy before you go to the operating room i went to sleep quick and didnt know a thing till i woke up it will be ok hugs to everyone about to go to the castle i will say a pray for all of you good luck
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:42 PM

thank you so much,i know i will be fine ,however i cant help being scared.i cant wait till im 1 week out.hope you are feeling well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register