Scared to death - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to death Scared to death

Unread 08-14-2001, 03:37 PM
scared to death

Nothing to be afraid of! Just let it heal. It takes time. I had mine the end of Feb. The best, I feel, thing I have done in a long time!! I was worried about relations with my husband. They got better-physically and emotionally. Not kidding!! The recovery may be slow-just take your time. Have help. Do not lift or do things sooner than you have to. It may take a good year to recover completely. I hear this from so many women. Just keep in mind, that first year may be a trial period for getting the right hormones for you. Find a good woman doctor-I highly recommend one to everyone. One that listens. If you don't feel satisfied-keep asking or searching until you are. It is your body, and you may regret it later. It has been five months, and I almost feel like my old self. I forgot what normal was before the surgery. Do the Kegels. Listen to the nurses. Find one or more that have gone through the same procedures you are. They are a godsend! Again, nothing to be afraid of. Just think how much better you will feel after you heal, so you can get on with your life!
Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2001, 03:39 PM
to keep or not to keep?

Hi,

Just conferred with my gyno this am, and when I asked him about keeping my cervix, he told me that up until the past 5 years, he hadn't been too keen on it. He tells me that keeping the cervix may actually reduce recovery time by 3 weeks, and that his patients report less soreness by retaining the cervix. He also said that it may also be less damaging to bladder, too and future problems with incontinence, et.

He cautions, however, to continue to faithfully get an annual pap.

BTW, my doc is very well respected by his colleagues, nurses, and patients.

But finally, this is a very personal decision.

bon chance,

fig
Unread 08-14-2001, 11:32 PM
A Big Thank You

Just wanted to say thank you very much. I was a bundle of nerves till I found this site. The Hyster Sisters are wonderful! There is so much helpful info to read on and all the people that have reply to my message have been great. Still alittle nervous with 2 days to go but feeling more relaxed than before.

Thanks so much!
Ann
Unread 08-15-2001, 01:02 AM
Regret what I wrote

Dear Ann
I regret my last reply to you. Didn´t mean to scare you. It is just that I am feeling rather depressed at the moment.

Many women feel that the hyst is "the best thing they done", and doesn´t have any bad side-effects from it whatsoever. Many women report that sex is as good, or better than before. Generally it is true that the waiting is the worse. For me the month prior to the surgery was much worse than the month after. The anxiety prior was worse than the physical pain after. So you are soon over with the worse part of it!

And it is such a relief not to have all that pain and bleedings anymore. About the cervix issue, if you keep it you always risk having to have another surgery, + you need to keep on doing papsmears. Taking it can result it problems with vaginal dryness. Otherwise from that I dont think it is any difference. My DH doesn´t feel that it is gone, if that is what is worrying you.

Try to relax, I am sure everything will be just fine. And I am sorry if I made you even more scared. It was just one of those days when I really felt depressed over the whole thing, mostly because the doctors lied to me before the hyst, promised everything would be just as it was before. I think if they had told me that for some women sex isnt just as good as before, and that ovaian failure can occur,at least I would have known what risks I was accepting letting them perform the surgery. But remember, most women do great.

Hugs
/Toppan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register