Positive and Proud for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Positive and Proud for surgery Positive and Proud for surgery

Unread 06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Positive and Proud for surgery

I had my preop appt today.

And I quote directly from my paperwork:

Exam under anesthesia; Laparoscopy; Lysis of Adhesions; Ablation of Endometriosis, any indicated procedures, possible removal of tube(s) and/or ovary(ies)...then my dr hand writes hysterectomy, removal of tubes/ovaries (possible)

I've always sufferd Endo but was concidered mild most of the time. No need to do anything about it at that time. It's not like that anymore.

He has listed that I suffer menorrhagia, dysmenorrhagia, and prolapse (uterus and start of bladder and rectum).

I am now very excited about the procedure. Wow, the possibilities of no pain. I honestly have no clue what that is like. Maybe I'll actually start being nicer around the home front!

So, tonight, because I've been given the go ahead, I am celebrating early. Glass of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Tomorrow is strictly focused on foods and then Wednesday is an all liquid diet (I suffer greatly from additional issues). My dr said the lighter the meal, and he said he preferred all liquid, then the easier my recovery. Not a problem. What ever I need to do to help ease the transition. One day of liquids in order to start having many, many days of freedom from pain is more than worth it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM

What a nice positive attitude
It sounds like you had a very imformative pre-op. I like knowing what to expect too.

Enjoy your champagne and chocolate covered strawberries

Best wishes.

S
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:01 PM

YEAH JUNE !!!!!!! I think a positive attitude will mean so much to your recovery. Just thinking about your pain free life after your surgery is worth it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Jessica
I am soooo glad to hear things are better for you. I have been reading some of your posts and have had you in my prayers. I hope you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Unread 06-23-2008, 09:42 PM

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you. (((Hugs)))
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:26 PM

GOOD for you! I had endo, and the difference between the way I felt prior to surgery (horrible) and the way I feel now (getting better every day, no pain, pressure or heavy-clotted-disgusting bleeding) is dramatic.

Toasting you with my glass of water!

Goldie
Unread 06-23-2008, 11:41 PM

Hi Jessica - i too have been following your journey, and am so proud of you and excited for you ... i'm barely 3 weeks post-op, and cannot honestly convince anyone i've just had 'major abdominal surgery' ... we are so blessed to have this awesome site, i know my recovery was 90% mental -- i felt like i knew as much as i could possibly know, and by that i felt really empowered that my body would not let me down ... reading all your posts, i feel the same about you ... it's taken you a while to really get your head in the game, but now it is, and you're going all in! we're continuing to pray for your family, they're the ones that are going to need to really focus on your recovery ... your part is easy!

hugs and blessings!
Unread 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM

I think you should go back and read your very first post about cancelling. The difference between that post and this one are so completely different, and I can't tell you how absolutely thrilled we all are to see the change!!!!

We're all looking forward to hearing from you once you get home, probably not for a few days post-op, but please, please let us know not only how your surgery goes, but how well the process continues at home.

Love and hugs to you!
Unread 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM

By the way, I want to add to the good feelings a bit by explaining how crazy I was when I went in for surgery. I know this isn't a part of your thread, but I think keeping up the excitement and positive thinking fits in. Here's the way I approached my visit at the castle. Sorry for the length.

First, it started with the Novasure procedure about two months prior (which is how they found my cervical cancer). When I went in for that, I had make-up on and said, "If anyone is messing around that much with my privates, I consider it a date & I want to look good!" I also told my doc that my daughter didn't want him messing around too much with her old "bedwomb", but I asked him to look for her missing lambchop puppet that disappeared. I told him he could take off the wallpaper, but couldn't move the furniture around. Then I asked him how long it would be before I could have sex and he said "Six weeks" and I asked him if he knew anyone available....

Once I knew I had cervical cancer for sure, my willing minions (I have a lot of theater buddies, and we're all a little bawdy) formed a support group for me that we dubbed my "P---y Posse", determined to meet any challenges head on--even if my head might become bald due to chemo. Once the hysterectomy was set, we decided that once I got better, we would have a a funeral for my girly bits and I won't even go into the extraordinarily tasteless decorations and food items suggested for this party. We have yet to plan it, but I know it'll be a great time just celebrating the demise of a body part gone wrong (sounds like a COPS episode).

So, fast forward to the hysto. I deal with difficulties by making a mockery of them so full-blown nuttiness is in order. My surgery was scheduled on Cinco de Mayo and that just really provided fodder for the crazy lady. So, I went out to a party store and got little tiny sombreros: one for my IV bag and one for 'Cathy' my Catheter (she also got a stunning hot pepper necklace) and little window clingy things with Cinco de Mayo themes so I could stick them on my body.

I drew a face with black marker on my IV bag so Senor IV could have a face and a great handlebar mustache, and wrote "Enter down here" and drew an arrow pointing to my vagina (I was supposed to have a TVH--no such luck) on my belly. I also tried a few days prior to make a uterus pinata, but it's a difficult shape to make into a pinata. I did wonder about what kind of goodies I would put in there though. What treats does one find when they smack open a uterus? Anyway, I was going to also buy a knitted uterus to kick around when I was better, but I only found patterns for them, didn't find anyone I could buy one from since I don't knit. Yes, you can find them on-line. Seriously.

Afterwards, I woke up to find that my daughter "helped" me with my make-up (she's 20 and odd like me) by making it very clown-like. It's kind of weird to see that in a mirror when you're in a morphine haze, but supremely funny. I made some big points by having bowls of individually wrapped buttermints for my nurses, so they hung around and asked me questions about the silly stuff and it provided me with a very happy recovery because there was laughter in my room. Some nurses would just start cracking up when they came in my room and even made sure to redraw faces on my fresh IV bags and put the sombrero on them. That was medicine that kicked my healing off big-time.

Oh, and before the hospital, I wrote a story call "The Rise and Fall of Sir Vix and the Pink Palace"--faxed it to my doctor, and it's now in my file! I love being able to do things that are a little unusual, it makes people smile and you just feel better. I hope there's lots of happiness in your recovery, and I hope this provided a giggle or two to see you through the castle doors with a smile on your face!!!
Unread 06-24-2008, 04:21 PM

OMG! That is too funny! AWESOME!!! If I wasn't in a out patient surgery center (seriously?) then I'd be decorating, too! Apparently some of the nurses that I became very familiar with in my past (admitted MANY times for other reasons) will be there for my surgery.

Hmm, now how well behaved can we be afterwards? I tend to be a bit more blunt....and um, oh yes, the word is called "crass". LOL Well, considering what's being done...how well do you create laughter in a "classy" way about a vagina, uterus, cervix, and the whole pot? ROFLMAO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register