TAH Two days post hysterectomy: Urinating hurts! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two days post hysterectomy: Urinating hurts! Two days post hysterectomy: Urinating hurts!

Unread 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Two days post hysterectomy: Urinating hurts!

I'm on day 2. It really, really hurts when my bladder fills and I have to pee. Will this stop? Is this a typical symptom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Re: Urinating hurts!

Mine does this, too, off and on. For me, it's not like uti pain, but it's definitely there. My cervix was adhered to my bladder, so the doctor had to do a bit of work there - I was guessing that's the reason for my bladder tenderness.
Unread 07-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Yes. Definitely not uti pain, but intense cramping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Yup, pretty normal. It went away about a month later. Blather is in shock and so it gets like that. You can also get spasms. If it gets really bad then you should go see the doc. I have heard that sometimes you can get uti's. I fortunately I didn't get one.
Unread 07-05-2014, 12:50 AM

I would have to put light pressure down there with my hand so when I pushed to pee my bladder had a solid to push against instead of the tender insides. I think now in week 6 the swelling is going down and it seems more tender so I still do or maybe out of habit put my had on my pelvic area to push against.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Re: Two days post hysterectomy: Urinating hurts!

I reached week two since surgery just yesterday. I actually experienced sluggishness for about the first day or two, since, I am normal about 90 percent of the time. My bladder would not empty prior to surgery due the the watermelon size uterus pressing down on it. Now I have noticed that I experience reluctance or pain most often when I have been too active or when I get backed-up and need to have a BM. I definitely still experience some cramping pain while urinating and another poster here did say what I also read, many women can get a UTI afterward due to the catheter. That is not uncommon. My first method would be to drink lots of water to help flush out impurities as much as possible at this stage. I drink about three or four 32oz cups a day - which I believe has helped the most. You will likely have some cramping for a few weeks, and maybe even some needling pains in your pelvic area -- but anything that is causing you a great deal of pain, you might just leave a message with your surgeon's nurse and see if he or she can offer you any tips. My surgeon has been wonderful about responding to questions, and if his advise does not correct the problem, he would want me to be seen I believe. Three days after I returned home, a spent about four hours on my feet (unavoidable) and for two days I basically slept and took pain medication on time just to alleviate the tiredness and pain it caused. I learned the hard way that this definitely can not be rushed - you must rest and take only short walks for awhile, This site, has a lot of really great tips from people at various stages of recovery. I also found that taking my pain medications on time has helped curb that dreaded restroom pain.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM

The pain during urination is improving. I am drinking lots of water. I have to make sure my bladder doesn't get too full: when it gets really full, I get more pain.
Unread 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

It does get painful when it gets too full! I have noticed a distinct difference between actual pain and pelvic cramps. I must still have the Ibuprofen on time to ease the cramps but the pain is not as strong, unless I overdo it, so I have a little more latitude on easing back on those pills. I think the worst pain when urinating was first thing in the morning when I woke up and had gone much longer without medication. It was very painful just getting out of bed and also when I urinated because I had been holding it while I slept and didn't even know until I woke up. Hang in there, it does get better.
Unread 07-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Thank you, Denise!
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Two days post hysterectomy: Urinating hurts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
I would have to put light pressure down there with my hand so when I pushed to pee my bladder had a solid to push against instead of the tender insides. I think now in week 6 the swelling is going down and it seems more tender so I still do or maybe out of habit put my had on my pelvic area to push against.
Just reading your post. Im 11 weeks out and I too feel I need to hold my pelvic area when urinating. Your right about the need to feel like you need that extra support there. It does help me still! Just fyi. From a hyst sis in Tx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register