Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary

Unread 06-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary

Thank you so much for all your replies. The jokes about this beastly tumor keep flowing in our household. Today my husband told me not to worry about cancer, that I should worry about that thing having rabies!!!! I love him to pieces...he keeps me in stitches. He actually told the doctor at the time we were getting our news, that he felt like he was getting bit by something during sex, and of course I had to come back with the answer that I think he did too....that some of it must have been bitten off since it's not quite as long as it used to be. That dr. must think we are nuts. Now he's looking at my stomach and saying "down boy, down..." Not to mention that today he told my sister to "cool it or he was going to sick my ovary on her." Oh...and there's the time he said he won't know if it's my stomach growling or the tumor! I'll never live this one down. He lives for this kind of stuff...

All jokes aside, I am seriously considering having my uterus removed as well. I did not talk to the dr. about removing both ovaries, or my cervix, but I think I should have.... well, at least the other ovary. At least I wouldn't have to worry about following in my mother's footsteps with ovarian cancer.

I have not read about what to expect if I remove both ovaries, but I guess I need to. I don't know if I'm ready to deal with all the hormonal problems, though. And I'm afraid to read the section on sexual disfunction. I'm assuming there can be some changes if I remove my uterus? I guess it's time to break down and read it, but I didn't want to make my decision based on whether or not I can still have an orgasm.

Sounds like most of you think I should consider removing both ovaries. Hmmmmmmm. Also....my doctor did not offer laproscopic removal of my uterus. Only if he just does the ovary. It will be a one week recovery to lose just the ovary, but if he yanks out the uterus as well, then it turns into a 4 to 6 week recovery. Whatever the final decision is, he needs to unleash that beast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2006, 10:04 PM

LMAO, I am taking a medical transcription course and at the moment i'm doing the medical termonology and anatomy part of it. And when I did the chapter on the female reproductive system there was a pic of that cyst in my book!! Oh Boy was that thing scarry looking lol. Anyways, I ASKED my gyn for a hysterectomy when I was 30, I was done having children and more to the point I was done have pain, I wanted quality of life. I wasn't getting it. I did at the time keep my ovaries, but a week ago I had them both out. I am highly allergic to pain as it keeps me from being my typical happy go lucky self lol.

Oh yea, and your DH sounds like mine. Oh Dear, I'm so glad it's not me lol. My parents would be just as bad too lol. Too funny! Good luck though, it's never an easy decision
Unread 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM

This is too funny. I am going through the same thing. Right ovary with an overbite...I laughed out loud. It is funny that as women..are first thoughts of this news is very weird and I have named mine "the troll"...as women we are a bit taken by the news, however the first thought that our husbands have is afraid of getting bit. Too funny. I can relate 100% to your message. My total hysterectomy will either be next week or the week after. My GYN office will call me tomorrow with the date. I opted for the Total Package-clean sweap... everything out. With my history, family history- I just feel this is the best option for me. Thanks for sharing your experience/thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Hi!
I had a ten pound dermoid (yes! ten pounds!) attached to my uterus and right fallopian tube. Had the tumor and ovary/fall tube removed with a vertical incision in 2004. At the time, I had a fibroid tumor as well, but they said it was too risky to remove it all at once, so they left the fibroid in, with the "watch and wait" theory in place. So...here I am in 2007 facing having the fibroid AND my uterus removed due to increased symptoms; bleeding, pain, migraines, lower back pain, bowel problems and frequentcy in urination. I don't know that anyone (including your Dr) can tell you what to do... but my advice is to do as much research as you can and decide if your pain and symptoms have gotten to the point where you can't take it anymore, and make an informed decision. You will gain so much information from this site (as well as others) that will make it easier. I am fairly new here, and have already had these women help me more than they will ever know!!! <oops! please keep support online!>
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Awesome answer kinderclass... re-read your post and pretend its a friend presenting you with HER problem. How would you provide support? What would you say to her? Because if we can't be our own best friends, what's UP with that??? My doc told me it was up to me whether he leaves the ovaries or not and I made it clear I WANT THEM!!!! But I do understand that if he gets in there and finds damage or problems, they may have to go. He will try to leave at least one if at all possible. I'm 48, have no children and had an ablation 4 years ago so at THAT point I"d already made the decision that carrying my own wouldn't be an option.... there's always adoption, foster parenting, or just being a really cool aunt! But you need to really feel good about your decision. Scared maybe but settled. It took me four years to accept that this was the route for me. Four years of increasing pain, my period came back full force and MORE after the ablation and now lasts up to 5 weeks with only maybe a week and a half in between. So for me it was a quality of life issue as well as safety and health. Just keep in mind... if you go through this surgery now and DON'T have everything out, how will you feel about having to go back in later if that ends up being a must later down the road? Just some questions to ask yourself (like you don't have enough running around in there!
Unread 02-02-2007, 07:53 AM

I had the dermoid cyst in 2001 that torsioned on my tube. I had emergency surgery and lost the tube & ovary. I BEGGED them to take the uterus too. Nope.
Had TAH Nov. 29th/06 after many more "episodes".
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Re: Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary

I thought my grandmother was crazy when she would tell me the stories about the hair and teeth tumors!! All of the older women would get together and tell us these horrifying uterus stories. I guess back then no one quite understood what it was or what would cause such a thing. Thank God for the internet and sites like this. What they made out to seem freakish is quite normal!

Tjsell - I am with your husband. I would want to keep mine! My grandmother had the stories but I would have the real thing to show my grandkids!!
Unread 10-28-2009, 05:05 PM

Ok...dermoids are harmless, so that surgery is purely elective, and yeah at 48 a hysterectomy assuming you have the time to put aside for recovery and because you state you are having issues. For me it would be none or all, and by the way I couldn't stand those jokes being aimed at me, and generally a dermoid has skin and hair and teeth cells so goodness knows what you are looking at except there are nasty pictures available all over the Net of exceptional circumstances.....
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM

ohhh i wish i had had children before i got todays news - another cyst on my right ovary.
Previously I had bi lateral dermoids removed at age 22 and 25 and now im 26 with another... I really want children but cant handle an operation every year?!
I feel like just giving up and getting it all taken out, but I am yet to google what happens if u do have a hysterectomy at 26.
*sigh*

Wish there was a magic pill.
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:01 AM

I have finally come to the conclusion that I'm pretty sure that this 1 is going to be inside me for a while I have 1 on my right ovary and I am just now able to get into the gynecologist to find out what they're going to do I have actually named mine preditor junior

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register