Pre-op ACTUALLY does help calm fears... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op ACTUALLY does help calm fears... Pre-op ACTUALLY does help calm fears...

Unread 04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Pre-op ACTUALLY does help calm fears...

I had my pre-op appointment today (which took 3 hours) and I was expecting to be even MORE freaked out after it, but it actually really did calm fears.

I've never been to this hospital, so I had lots of questions and everyone was nice and helpful and patient with my million inquiries and fears.

Come to found out that my doc is one of the top doctors in the state for LSH procedures. She actually spends quite a bit of time training other doctors on it and was one of the first in our state to master it. Sounds like I am in safe hands with her!

She predicts I will only have to stay at the hospital one night. No morpine for me post-surgery, just Fentanyl, which I do very well with and then will move to Percocet, which I also have had no problems with in the past.

I also got the anesthesiologist that I requested.

Maybe I'm just on a positive mood swing, but I'm feeling pretty confident and hopeful at this point!

I hope everyone else can find some serenity in their pre-op appointments and get some of their fears calmed as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

Yea--thanks for the post. I am encouraged. A one night stay would be great!!

How did you know how to pick your anesthesiologist?
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:52 AM

That great! I felt better and a bit calmer after my pre-op ( it was also a fairly long one ).

Best wishes.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachloversis
Yea--thanks for the post. I am encouraged. A one night stay would be great!!

How did you know how to pick your anesthesiologist?
I was lucky enough to know the head of the ER department at the hospital I was going to. I emailed her and asked who she would recommend.

I would ask around. Do you know anyone that has had surgery at the hospital? I also asked the nurse at my pre-op..."if YOU had to have this surgery, who would you want to do it?" Some people are amazingly willing to really open up if you ask them if they were in your shoes.

Good luck everyone! I really thought the pre-op would send me running the other way. But I think it calmed the smaller, more nagging fears I had.
Unread 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Hey Ellie,

I feel peace now I have had my pre-op too. It all comes down to Knowledge is Power for me. It's the fear of bearing out of control that I struggle with.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM

I remember that pre-op made me more at ease, too. Just seeing how professional and knowledgeable everyone was was great. Also, knowing that the procedure was performed so often put my mind at ease.
Unread 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM

Hi Ellie,

I had my pre-op yesterday and I too found it calming. The nurse was really nice and put a lot of my fears to rest.

I was also given a really good information booklet from the hospital about pre-op, surgery and post-op.

All the best and hugs for Monday.
Unread 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie0703
I was lucky enough to know the head of the ER department at the hospital I was going to. I emailed her and asked who she would recommend.

I would ask around. Do you know anyone that has had surgery at the hospital? I also asked the nurse at my pre-op..."if YOU had to have this surgery, who would you want to do it?" Some people are amazingly willing to really open up if you ask them if they were in your shoes.

Good luck everyone! I really thought the pre-op would send me running the other way. But I think it calmed the smaller, more nagging fears I had.
Thanks ellie--Wishing you the best.....
Unread 04-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Hi Ellie, I had the same feeling after my pre op at the hospital , I feel more relaxed.
Your day is the same as mine . Good luck and best wishes
See you on the other side
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susee1995
Hi Ellie, I had the same feeling after my pre op at the hospital , I feel more relaxed.
Your day is the same as mine . Good luck and best wishes
See you on the other side
Thanks Susee! And same to you!

Best wishes to all my new friends here! Catch you all on the other side!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register