Previous Surgical Experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Previous Surgical Experience Previous Surgical Experience

Unread 10-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Previous Surgical Experience

Good Morning Ladies,

I have had 4 previous surgeries at different hospitals. Out of all of my anesthesiologists I had, the last one was the absolute worst of all of humanity. The previous ones were just angels.

Looking back and trying to figure out what the difference was...his better than thou attitude. I have never been refused a sedative prior to surgery, except this last time. I have never been "strapped" to the o/r table nude, except this last time...all without any sedative. No matter what I said to him, it made no difference.

I told my gyn about my feelings about him, and she just loves him. She thinks he is the best of the best. Well, I told her my feelings. She insists that he will be part of my upcoming hysterectomy, which I am totally apalled at, but what can I do. I have to have the surgery for relief. Any ideas?

I have to do what my gyn says because she is my last hope for help. All these years of pain and suffering needlessly, going through D&C's until the cows come home, and no change in any pain issues or my fibroids. Heck, if there were a market for fibroids I could just farm those babies out!

I spoke with my primary care dr about what happened, and she was horrified. She gave me valium to take prior to surgery. She said nobody should ever have to go through that sort of thing, esp. in this day and age when there are so many different drugs out on the market to help people. That is just crazy.

I would love to know what you ladies think of this situation. I could use some feedback.

Thanks.

Blessing Galore,
Roseptl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM

any chance you can find another surgeon?
Unread 10-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Good Morning Honk4goosey,

No chance in finding another gyn this late in the game. Unfortunately with the limited health insurance benefits I have at the moment, I have to go with this gyn. I trust her very much so, but just hate this anesth. with every bone in my body. I think this time going in, I will be quite direct with how I am going to be treated, plus with having my primary care dr intervening with the valium, that should put a huge red flag in his face. What do you think?

My husband was taken back by his arrogance as well. My husband told me that he is going to talk man to man to this guy before he even gets to me...I told him not too be like that, but he thinks that some of those in the medical community forget about how scared we are going into major surgery. This maybe just a walk in the park for them, but for us, and those that love us...it is something totally different. They don't have to live with the consequences of their actions.

I just don't want drama the day of my surgery. It is something that I can live without.

God bless you,
Roseptl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 08:50 AM

Roseptl,
It's great that you have your hubby by your side as your advocate. Let him do his thing to take care of you. And yes, be direct about what you want w/ your doctor and anesth. Yes, get your primary care doc involved. Anyone you can have be there for you will help.

I hear you about no drama on surgery day.
Good luck,
goosey
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM

That really stinks. I can't imagine sitting in pre-op waiting, without having taken some kind of sedative.

Before my TAH, I had four prior surgeries so I have plenty of experience in terms of what works best for me. I've never met the anesthesiologist until the morning of the surgery and he or she has always gone along with what I know is best for myself in terms of pain medication etc.

Good luck. I hope you can talk some sense into him.
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM

I'm going to a new hospital this time, so I have my concerns about the anesthesiologists too. This will be my fourth surgery, third gynecologic, first surgery at this hospital (so no experience with any anesthesiologists on staff). I had one bad experience where the anesthesiologist could care less. I don't think he even bothered to talk to me other than to say, "They're ready. I'm putting you to sleep now." With that, he injected the drug into the IV and that was that. Absolutely no compassion.

This last time, the anesthesiologist called me the night before to talk, then he also spent about 15 minutes prior to the procedure asking questions and making sure I understood everything that he would be doing and basically reassuring me and telling me how well he would monitor and take care of me. At first I was a little frightened when I saw him because he looked old as the hills and had massive tufts of hair growing from his ears. I thought this guy is too old. He actually turned out to be the best anesthesiologist I've ever had, but this was at a surgery center not a hospital.

This time I am being prepped in one building and then wheeled across a bridge to the OR, so I have a lot of anxiety about that. I'm told that they put your to sleep before they wheel you across, and that has rme really upset. I totally prefer to be awake until I am inside the OR. I'm hoping maybe I can work that out with the anesthesiologist. If not, then I am definitely going to want a sedative. I've never needed one before, but this might be the time.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this inhumane anesthesiologist again. Perhaps, you just caught him on a bad day the last time, and maybe he will be much more friendly this time. I'll cross my fingers for you!
Unread 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM

Thank you ladies for all of your responses. This has just been weighing on me since my outpatient surgery in September. My husband doesn't think that I am over-reacting. He saw for himself what I went through before. He just shook his head, and wanted to punch the guy out.

What is so interesting is that today we received in the mail a survey from the hospital on how my experience went in September. Boy oh boy are they getting an earfull. I am not holding back anything. I expect a phone call in all honesty. I even put an address/name label on the survey so they would know exactly who I am, and who the moron of an anesth. was. Like I say, what comes around goes around. Sheesh. Talk about bad medicine. He took the cake.

Blessings All Around,
Roseptl
Unread 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Absolutely send in that survey!!! They deserve to know about your entire experience, and I bet it wouldn't even be the first complaint they received about this anesthesiologist. I filled out a hospital survey after my bad experience with the anesthesiologist, but I couldn't give my name and address to be contacted because my FIL was a doctor at that hospital. I think they take it more seriously if you are actually willing to give them your name and contact information.

I am so glad that you have your husband there to advocate for you. I've always felt more comfortable when my husband was in the room with me before surgery (even if he is squeamish). It is good that you have his support. I'm sure you aren't overreacting, and it would probably do that doctor's attitude some good to be punched in the nose!
Unread 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

I always think that the skill of the surgeon is the key but that the anesthesiologist is the person keeping you alive during the surgery.

Also, this time, for the first time ever, the anesthesiologist visited me in my hospital room the next day to see how I was feeling. He asked me a lot about what I remember.

The last thing I remember is him asking me if anyone had ever slipped me a Mickey Finn and whether I've ever had too many martinis. When I said no, the nurse asked about too many beers. So, I fell asleep thinking about the last time I'd had "more than a few" beers (which isn't often but still nicer than thinking about the upcoming surgery).

They knocked me out in the recovery room (which is where we waited) and then wheeled me into the OR, which is different from what I'm used to. It also meant that I woke up in the exact same spot in the recovery room so I asked whether they'd started yet (and of course it was over already). I kind of liked that.
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:38 PM

you do not have to use that anesthesiologist. you have the right to request who you want. i'd consider a second opinion with another surgeon at a different hospital. if your surgeon is telling you that you have to use that anesthesiologist after what you told her...shes just incorrect and doesnt have the compassion that you deserve.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register