Davinci assisted vaginal hysterectomy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Davinci assisted vaginal hysterectomy questions Davinci assisted vaginal hysterectomy questions

Unread 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Davinci assisted vaginal hysterectomy questions

I'm having a davinci laproscopic hysterectomy/endometriosis tissue removal in January and I'm a bit nervous about the whole removing my uterus, ovary, etc vaginally. My OB made it sound like the whole thing will be done using the davinci robot (I've had 2 of these surgeries for endometriosis) and when I asked how the organs would be removed she said vaginally. To be honest I would rather have an abdominal incision to remove them, but she said that the robot gives her a much better view and she wants to really look and spend some time in there (I also have crohns and lupus among other things so she is checking it all out). Luckily my surgeon/OB doc is THE robotic surgeon in this region so that's reassuring, I've also known her for a long time and she clearly has my best interest at heart so I feel very comfortable with her suggestions and treatment plans.
I've read some people talk about a "vaginal,cuff" can someone give me some info about what that is. Also are they dissolvable stitches, I'm hoping (nothing to remove).
Pretty much ANY info anyone has regarding this specific type of hysterectomy would be very much appreciated! Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Re: Davinci assisted vaginal hysterectomy questions

I had a daVinci total vaginal last year. They remove everything: the uterus, including cervix, ovaries, tubes, and in my case, lymph nodes through the vagina. I couldn't understand why my vagina didn't hurt afterwards until recently I got up the courage to watch a full-length video of the procedure (not necessarily recommended pre-op!). They actually place a tube up your vagina which acts like a chute for all the parts they send out. So your vagina is protected from instrument nicks bruises. Honestly, my throat hurt more from the breathing tube than my vagina did from all that activity! The cuff is just the end of the vagina where the cervix used to be. Instead of a bump, you will have a seam at the end of your vagina that the surgeon sews to keep everything together. I was able to do kegel exercises the next day and have had no vaginal issues due to the hysterectomy. You will still have abdominal soreness for several weeks, but probably not the kind of incision pain you would have with an abdominal cut. I had no incision pain and didn't need anything stronger than advil after leaving the hospital. I had dissolving cuff stitches, and I think they cauterize most of the internal cuts. Make no mistake, this is still major surgery and you'll be down and out for a while, but I think the robot made it easier for me. Am very glad to have had this option, and like you, was lucky to have a surgeon who is very experienced with the technology.
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM

I am 4 days post DaVinci total hysterectomy and I'm feeling amazing. I only take Tylenol as needed. I have 5 incisions that are glued together on my abdomen and dissolvable stitches at the "cuff" site. She didn't use any vaginal packing ( I read about that and it sounded very unpleasant) and I've had no bleeding since the first few times I urinated at the hospital. My surgery lasted about an hour and I had one night in the hospital. I'm able to walk easily, go up and down the stairs at a slightly slower than normal pace, and turn over- get out of bed all without pain. No housework or cooking at ALL-per doctors orders My sister had an abdominal hysterectomy and she s amazed. My lower back pain is so improved that I can hardly believe it! My surgeon said the same thing about the view and ease of the surgery. I trusted her opinion since she's the one doing the surgeries and sees the results on a regular basis. It sounds like you are in good hands. Just ask if you have any other questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2013, 01:23 AM

ditto the last two posts but I was taking tramadol and 800mg of ibuprofen around the clock for two weeks after. the pain wasn't that bad but I just didn't want to feel anything. lol
I wore a belly binder the first few days and then.nights only for a couple of weeks then nothing.
I'm having an issue with an incision right now that's on my belt line because of my.pants so I would ask your dr if she could place the incisions below or above where the beltline of your pants go so you don't have to go through this too ow
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM

I had my Da Vinci on Nov. 1st and I feel great. All the stitches are disolvable but the first time you look at your belly you may be shocked. I am 6 weeks out and the incisions are completely healed. I have not noticed the vaginal cuff yet. Still haven't had sex yet - nervous about that but we did have some "outer course" and had a mini "o" moment. The next day I was tender but not sore (that was in week 4). Tenderness was gone by that evening. Everyone says this but it is true - listen to your own body. If you are sore or uncomfortable then ease up. If you feel that something is wrong and maybe you should call the dr. then call; that what the office staff if for.

Good luck!!
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM

Hey, I'm a lupie, too! I had my davinci last week. recovery has been much better than I expected. There are no stitches in the vag that will have to be removed. My biggest challenge was going the 2 weeks prior to surgery with no anti-inflammatories (celebrex helps my lupie pains). Make sure you tell your rheumy about the surgery. He/she will probably want to see you a few days before and a few weeks after the surgery.
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM

I had DaVinci Nov 6th, uterus, cervix & tubes. I've also had multiple surgeries, this is nothing like that :-). I have 4 tiny incisions, never had incision pain or upper abdominal pain. Some women experience more cuff pain & bleeding with a DaVinci, some feel great in a couple weeks. Like the others said, make no mistake about it, internally expect weeks of healing, this IS major surgery. My "bad week" was week 3, but I was one of those ladies that bled a lot...just a giant pain to deal with, but totally normal. DaVinci can make you artificially feel good for the first couple weeks but don't try to do things just because you feel good!! Follow dr's orders!!! I'm just over 5 weeks & got cleared today to get back to normal exercise, no sex for 2 more weeks cuz I still had some stitches dissolving on my cuff. I'm also still swelling if I do too much....oh I was also back to work in 3 weeks, but I have a desk job...more is better if you have it.
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM

I am 2 days post DVH and the worst part has been the gas. I do have some swelling internally where the cuff is, but not unbearable. (More like the feeling of having a tampon in crooked.....just funky.)

I'm just taking ibuprofen and have done fine overall. My best advice is drink lots and lots of water as soon as they let you so you can pee on your own. That took me a while. And take some throat lozenges to help with scratchy throat. You will be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register