From the other side | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

From the other side From the other side

Unread 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
From the other side

My LAVH, A & P repair, BSO was Wed. morning (11/14). I woke up from anesthesia in quite a bit of pain, but got the pump which got most of the pain under control pretty quickly. My biggest problem seems to be urinating on my own. I think everything is so swollen, it can't get through. So I came home yesterday with a catheter. YUCK!! I am not hurting as much as I thought I would. I have been able to walk and get around at home on my own, although I do have my mother-in-law here to help. The pain is very similar to menstrual cramps (at best) and labor pains (at worst). The whole general area "down there" feels like it did after childbirth. Just kind of swollen and tender feeling. But I feel very fortunate and blessed that the pain isn't that bad. Oh, I forgot to mention that I already had a bm. They made me in the hospital before I could go home! They gave me a suppository last night and before long, I had a little bm! Yay me! Didn't hurt a bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 10:06 AM
From the other side

Teecher - Welcome Home!! I had to come home with a cath also!! Well, I should have anyway. I got out last Wed pm and was back on Thurs getting one!! I've had mine out since earlier this week and while my bladder is slow to recover it is doing so!

good luck - get plenty of rest!!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:12 AM
From the other side

home teecher!

Thank you for letting us know how you are.

Remember to rest lots(!), drink plenty and take little walks. We look forward to seeing you over in the Post-Op Support Forum!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
From the other side

Thanks so much for posting!! It is very helpful to hear from people who are doing well while I wait!! Thanks
Unread 11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
From the other side

Just curious, does anyone know if having a vaginal hyst increases the need for a cath after surgery? And problems urinating?

Three weeks ago I came home from a Hysteroscopy, D&C, Tubal, and Thermachoice Ablation and couldn't pee! I finally was able to pass a significant amount on my own about 17 hours after the procedure. I didn't have a cath when I came home or woke up. I'm concerned since I'm not sure the ablation was a success and feel eventually a hyst is in my future as well.

I'm sorry to hear this happned to you ladies. That is an uncomfortable and frustrating situation, and painful as well. Glad to hear you're both doing better though.
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:18 PM
From the other side

I don't know about the vaginal hyst., but the cystocele repair does, I think. My understanding is that they start cutting at the opening of the vagina near the urethra and continue up to the bladder. In my case they then stitched the muscles back together, then all the skin had to be stitched back up. I had quite a bit of swelling. Hence the catheter...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register